Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Rifle Double Grouping

Nah they are supposed to be floated from factory.

Cam, I just shot mine to break it in. No fancy procedure, no worrying about the barrel heat ect.
    It shoots 3/4 of a bi pod no probs(provided I do my bit obv). Is the slightly heavier profile barrel as its in 6.5x55 and has a boyds stock, so will be a little stiffer.
    cambo likes this.

Cheers for all the input guys.

Yeah the barrel is fully floating. I can get my cleaning cloth all the way up to the receiver.
    It's such a nice stock to hold and shoulder compared to the cheaper rifles out there.

Next step for the rifle is more range time. Will be firing off sand bags this time, and 2 different shooters to compare.
    Will report back after that.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Brand new Leupold bases that came with package, checked for tightness (Locktite was used when they were put on) Good rings, checked for tightness.
    Scope is Nikkon Stirling, so not the ideal but is only on temporarily till I get some nice optics further down the track (ie: when my wife relinquishes her grip on my wallet).

Will go through everything again at the range and document it all for the supplier anyway.

I have a new one Suppressed,trigger job,fluted bolt for it. Shoots 3/4 easy using Belmont 130 HP. No recoil hardly and they kill stuff .
    I notice the stock is boggy but I sighted it in off my daypack real easy Didn't read the instructions as usual . Same bases as you but VX 1 3-10? X 50 on steel leupold rings which I quite like. Be interesting to see how you get on!
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

@Mauser308 mine are just bases not adjustable at all .

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Those the Leupold windage adjustable bases? If so, yuuuck.

Another possible culprit is the rear base not being properly centered, and the scope adjustment is hard over to one side to compensate and get the POI corrected so that the internal tension springs on the reticle adjustment aren't applying the correct tension. The recoil of each shot bounces the reticle from limit to limit giving double grouping...

The rotating front ring in the Leupold windage-adjusting design means that the front ring can move in the base as well. It might not wiggle apparently when you check it, but it doesn't take much movement to give you a different POI at 100m. That setup would be a a prime, possible culprit to me - I've found issues with about 3 or those setups now (usually dodgy installation). The front base, front screw (where the hole through the action is above the barrel tenon or barrel threads) needs to be carefully shortened down so that it doesn't bottom out on the threads on the barrel before the head of the screw bares down on the front base.

I would disassemble an inspect the scope bases and mounting system (again) and check the lateral position of the rear base (it must be as near to centered as possible) and then check the front base. Remove the rear screw from the front base and then see if the front base is still tight against the receiver. If not, you might have just found the problem. If it is, try a one-piece base and weaver rail type rings.

From there, you need to try another scope - the current one might be toast. I've seen the windage error twice now with the rear base, both times the scope (Leupold) had to go back to the factory because the adjustment system had been damaged. The 3rd time, the front base front screw hadn't been shortened and the front base wasn't fully secured down...

Bases just normal type. Not adjustable.
    Was assembled by a very competent person that has a lot of experience. He found the rings that came with the package weren't very good, so gave (lent) me some very good rings.
    He was very expensive to please however - but finally came to an agreement by stuffing him with my wife's baking.

Will be going over everything again to make sure things are right. I'll be posting results when things have been done.

Creedmore sights instead of scope could be an option

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agree on several points here.

Lose the bipod while you are trying to sight in. You are far better on rests or sand bags on those concrete bench's at the hand-loaders.

Also there is a chance it is the scope or the stock. Or possibly your shooting position.

Is your eye going in exactly the same place each time. One way to test this without going to the range is set you rifle up on a bench or picnic table so it is steady. Look through the scope at a target about 75 t 100 metres away. Now move your head around without moving the gun. Does the cross hair move in relation to the target even though the rifle is not moving. This could indicate parrallax is not quite right at that range for your scope. Thus if your head does not go in exactly the right spot the crosshair will appear to move hence the poor grouping. I have had several Hows and they have all shot very well once I got the glass sorted.

northdude
    just leave it in the car outside the café and concentrate on your latte im running 8 nikko stirlings and havnt had a dud yet be interesting to hear what it is

Let that be a lesson to those of you who don't buy tikkas!
    I took out my mates new wsm tikka and with one of two hand loads it shot into an inch at 200. Load done!
    I did a brand new howa last year and had to get it bedded before it would even shoot with out major impact changes.
    I'm sorry tikka haters but it's just a no brainer for this lad.
    Fight I hate peace
    kokako, Matt2308, BRADS and 3 others like this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    Only thought of that after I got home.
    Will give the bipod to my mate for his Remy just for the hunt we're going on and I'll use my pack as a rest when needed.
    Mate the flex in the Hogue stock is probably whats touching something here (torqued by the Bipod under load) or as everyone's saying you're getting imperfect results from the recoil lug being able to return to battery.

Also check optics probably the easiest to do... put another scope on it and see if it does this too...

P.

At the risk of you not seeing the recent replies @cambo How are you going with this ?

Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    Let that be a lesson to those of you who don't buy tikkas!
    I took out my mates new wsm tikka and with one of two hand loads it shot into an inch at 200. Load done!
    I did a brand new howa last year and had to get it bedded before it would even shoot with out major impact changes.
    I'm sorry tikka haters but it's just a no brainer for this lad.
    Fight I hate peace
    Meh, last Tikka I used was grouping 3-4" at 100! Heavy-ass trigger too. Buy a Savage instead.
    BRADS and northdude like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Meh, last Tikka I used was grouping 3-4" at 100! Heavy-ass trigger too. Buy a Savage instead.
    Sounds pretty standard for anything sako or tikka

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    At the risk of you not seeing the recent replies @cambo How are you going with this ?
    I haven't had it out for a while. Been far too busy trying to get our house painted. I plan to do some reloading for it very soon, so I can get out and do some testing.