Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Why do people frown at using military rifles for hunting?

While the army absolutely destroyed my interest in assault rifles, i totally respect other people's right to dig them. I'll admit it - i have a thing for the martini henry rifles. I reckon i'll buy one someday just so i can say "i have one of those". I might even shoot it too. Cant explain why they're so awesome to me either. I can understand why dudes think AR's are fierce - they are. Very good at what they're designed for. Like ALL firearms, they require a sound mind operating them.
    Pointer likes this.

No wonder the taliban has an endless supply of recruits Timmay, i bet they're using that photo as a depiction of a typical US marine!!!

I usually hunt with a suppressed .308 bolt gun, my last walk was with a short barrelled AR in .223, I quite enjoy hunting with either depending on what the situation calls for or what ever I feel like taking.

Bit of a rant but bear with me, I get to the point eventually.

I can think of a few times at the range where a couple of rich lookin fellas driving new Audi's came up with their $5,000+ AR15's and H&K SL8's with all the gear. Here I am trying to test out some new reloads and these muppets were going "BLAM BLAM" firing with their frikken muzzle breaks (as if a .223 needs them). I'm worried about trying to get five shots in a 1" circle with this going on, so I look at their targets through the scope, and off a rest, these guys aren't able to keep all their shots in a dinner plate sized hole.

So I think when you're out in the bush and you come across someone with a $5,000+ AR15 you kind of wonder "Does this guy know what he's doing? Or is he a poser with too much money?".

In saying that, I totally support using military rifles for hunting. I have a few different military guns (nothing flash), but my suppressed SKS is a great goat/bush gun. Plus it's got a far more interesting history than my Model 700. These things would fade into the history books if we didn't give them a use. What's the point in having something if you don't use it right?
    Pointer and Dundee like this.

There are more than enough redneck hunters with bolt actions who can't shoot well either

Quote Originally Posted by RimfireNZ View Post
    Bit of a rant but bear with me, I get to the point eventually.

I can think of a few times at the range where a couple of rich lookin fellas driving new Audi's came up with their $5,000+ AR15's and H&K SL8's with all the gear. Here I am trying to test out some new reloads and these muppets were going "BLAM BLAM" firing with their frikken muzzle breaks (as if a .223 needs them). I'm worried about trying to get five shots in a 1" circle with this going on, so I look at their targets through the scope, and off a rest, these guys aren't able to keep all their shots in a dinner plate sized hole.

So I think when you're out in the bush and you come across someone with a $5,000+ AR15 you kind of wonder "Does this guy know what he's doing? Or is he a poser with too much money?".

In saying that, I totally support using military rifles for hunting. I have a few different military guns (nothing flash), but my suppressed SKS is a great goat/bush gun. Plus it's got a far more interesting history than my Model 700. These things would fade into the history books if we didn't give them a use. What's the point in having something if you don't use it right?
    If they have a $5000 AR15 they probably bought it from Gun City, making them Tards by default

They also have the advantage of being incredibly sturdy - after all they're designed for military use. They can take a lot more than the average hunting rifle.

What military rifles have you guys taken hunting? I've taken the SKS (20"). Haven't taken the mosin and probably won't (being 19 meters long). Bet a few of you have a M305 (M14) although I imagine they're probably pretty hefty for lugging around in the bush.

Quote Originally Posted by RimfireNZ View Post
    They also have the advantage of being incredibly sturdy - after all they're designed for military use. They can take a lot more than the average hunting rifle.

What military rifles have you guys taken hunting? I've taken the SKS (20"). Haven't taken the mosin and probably won't (being 19 meters long). Bet a few of you have a M305 (M14) although I imagine they're probably pretty hefty for lugging around in the bush.

Tried it on the range, to take in the hills it better have wheels ...sold it.

CHROME SKS | Trade Me

this is why!!!

What does someone selling a tasteless cheap junk rifle on trademe have to do with me hunting with an AR15?

It's like me running into you somewhere, and you're hunting with a Sako 85 and I say "Well he's got a bolt action, and there was some fat reactionary redneck at the range wearing polarfleece camoflage trousers with a rusty sporterised lee-enfield and I didn't like him, so I don't like this guy either"

There is a broad spectrum of people who like and use "military" rifles and you can't fairly stereotype them based on your own prejudices against a percentage of those people

Also that's a hell of good price for a chromed SKS, surely the chroming would have cost a fair bit to get done.

Also everyone is very against these things, until you let them have a go with one. Then it's "Oh man, this is cooool"
    Kiwi Greg and RimfireNZ like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Also everyone is very against these things, until you let them have a go with one. Then it's "Oh man, this is cooool"

Have hunted with: Shorty SKS, M305, Saiga, and two AR15's. I'd roll AR's almost exclusively now. They leave all other semi's for dead IMHO. The thing I like about hunting with them the most, aside from inherent accuracy, a reliable platform and pretty much perfect ergonomics is how they carry with a good two point sling. Your shoulders take all the weight and if you using a carbine you can cinch it close to your body when bashing through bush, leaving both hands free to get through and climb shit. I guess you could do the same with an AK. M305's/M14's are surprisingly handy in their stock form. Once you add a scope they become heavy unbalanced and cumbersome. A red dot or irons is the way to go if you buy one with bush hunting in mind. They are popular with a lot of hunters in Canada. Just gotta hope it doesn't blow up.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    CHROME SKS | Trade Me

this is why!!!
    I quite like it!!
    Will match my gold AK