Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Why do people frown at using military rifles for hunting?

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by compound View Post
    A SKS in good hands can outshoot an AR in sloppy hands. I have competed with both for target shooting and the AR is just easier to shoot well. There is more challenge to shoot the SKS well at nearly 1/10th the price.
    Thats like saying The Stig in a Fiat Uno will beat your granny in a F1 car

SKS are a good for 50 yd bush work, you are simply wasting your time putting a scope on one

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    I'm not sure if he's pretending to be a backwards reactionary for comedic effect or if it's genuine. Help?
    Trying to figure that one out myself. I had a play with one on the Wallaby hunt down Timaru ... and I like! Absolutely ideal for hunting. I'm just trying to talk myself out of adding one to the already overflowing safe. And then Digit comes along with this incredible value offering. Gee Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    Thats like saying The Stig in a Fiat Uno will beat your granny in a F1 car

SKS are a good for 50 yd bush work, you are simply wasting your time putting a scope on one

You can get some quite nice ghost ring sights for them. I'd consider one, if the stocks (and everything else) weren't so damned awful.

Well you could pop a monte carlo on,a synthetic, dragnov type stock... theres a few replacement stocks around the 150 mark....

one thing that I've seen thats plain cool is a bullpup SKS....

I think the attraction to the sks is that its cheap,reliable and a short handy bush/goat gun... its the sort of gun most people can walk in and just buy outright....

and 7.62x39 is sooo cheap to shoot!

I'd like an unbutchered Tula SKS to add to the collection. They get them cheap still in the cosmoline in Canada Lucky bastards also get a steady supply of Vz58's. SKS's are great for a cheap beat about goat slayer. I bought a Drag stock for mine a few years ago. It's hanging up in my garage collecting dust. They're not really worth spending money on.

I've shot both.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    So you take a piece of shit... spend a bunch of money on it, and end up with something 'acceptable' that is still the same minute of rubbish bin (where you got the gun from) shooting thing you started with.

Lipstick on a pig doesn't make it a princess

Its no longer cheap and its still not accurate

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    minute of rubbish bin

From the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    and 7.62x39 is sooo cheap to shoot!
    I didn't think there was that significant a difference in price, and with the increased accuracy of an AR you wouldn't need to burn through so much, but also have the option of putting excellent quality ammo through for pretty reasonable accuracy. Damn it you lot, will you stop pokin' at the keyboards, it's not helping me out that much. I know I don't need one but I sure do want one.

Just don't get the wrong sort of AR. You don't want to get something like a Varmint AR, then find that it's horribly impractical for everything, and start looking at an SKS for a bush rifle.

Just don't get the wrong sort of AR. You don't want to get something like a Varmint AR, then find that it's horribly impractical for everything, and start looking at an SKS for a bush rifle.
    Exactly. My Rocky is probably right on that tipping point, there is probably way too much alloy and steel up front, but it still is just nice enough to carry round with a good two point QA sling. The barrel could probably be half the diameter it is under the hand guard, but I still like it. The NEA carbines are very light weight.

Could you take a photo or some measurements of the contour of your NEA barrel? I assume it's the 14.5" carbine? I'm concerned, because they're listed as 10lbs shipping weight on NZAR15.com

Could you take a photo or some measurements of the contour of your NEA barrel? I assume it's the 14.5" carbine? I'm concerned, because they're listed as 10lbs shipping weight on NZAR15.com
    10lb is probably just a default package weight for Fast Ways. At my work our normal package weight to despatch is 10kg's. Sometimes it's a bit more sometimes less, it all gets charged the same, unless extra packaging is needed.

The barrel is 14.5" and .75" after the chamber all the way through. The hand guard is light and slim. It is obviously a lot light over all than my Rock River. With an ACE type stock and an even lighter hand guard it would almost be like a feather (to me anyway). What is your DPMS like?
    Last edited by Beavis; 21-04-2012 at 01:54 AM.

I don't have a DPMS... It has a DPMS stripped upper and lower, but the rest is all different. Mostly Daniel Defense now.

I have a Dan Hardy special for my barrel, which turned out as an M4A1 profile (not what I asked for, but...), heavy as hell, I'm going to get it turned down locally whenever I get around to getting a barrel nut wrench.

I'd like to know what an 18" NEA weighs.

I handled an 18" at the last IMAS shoot but I didn't really notice the weight sorry only held it for a few seconds. Was more interested in the optic on it. Digit would be the man to ask.