Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Why do people frown at using military rifles for hunting?

I guess it just comes down to the image that comes to your head when you think about someone hunting with an AR...

I think:

when I think bolt action hunter I think:

May as well go the hole hog!!
    Name:  ohoh.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  25.8 KB

While we are at it can we pick on the Ruger 10/22 as well? After all it is registerable as a MSSA and has been used by the Israeli army and issued as a combat sniper rifle. Do we now look at all the bunny hunters as militants?

I find the argument hard case at the best of times. I've actually encountered quite a lot of hunters while at the local range and some in the field while hunting with my AR. Haven't had a negative comment about it yet. Most people wanna play around with it

Timmay that top pic of yours sums it up

Compound I have gunned ponds for years with a semi 12g, and tipped over rabbi for even longer with a semi .22 - I was referring to the military style guns.

Having said that, I can testify that an SKS is a rather handy bush gun - and I, nor the guns owner, was looked at silly for using it on public land. However, if you toddle into a hut I am staying at looking like that fat cunt above, you will get the piss taken. its just how it is

What would you say if this lovely hunter walked into the hut and slung her bow on the rack!!!Name:  Archer.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  8.5 KB

All arguments about black rifles vs bolt rifles would be off I bet! Unless you like the sausage, then comments about another mans gun may still be heard! I say let a guy shoot what he enjoys (and gals for that matter too).

Cheers all.
    Dundee likes this.
    Lead delivery technician, Bulk orders welcome!!

Pointer do you not consider the 10/22 military? Try googling Israel army and Ruger to see its use as less lethal and then lethal issue for "riot control". Does it need a bayonet on it first to be classified that way by Kiwi hunters? If MSSAs get banned do you think your semi auto shotgun will be safe from confiscation next? Be grateful to see military style firearms in NZ because once they go the only thing that may finally remain to shoot off is our mouths about the good old days.

Not really compound, we are talking stereotypes and perceptions here. Perceptions of a guy popping bunnies with a 10/22 and a guy deer hunting with an AR covered in picatinny rails and tacticool flashlights would be very different.
    But as Littledog says, its a free world. As long as it kills efficiently and humanely thats all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by compound View Post
    Pointer do you not consider the 10/22 military? Try googling Israel army and Ruger to see its use as less lethal and then lethal issue for "riot control". Does it need a bayonet on it first to be classified that way by Kiwi hunters? If MSSAs get banned do you think your semi auto shotgun will be safe from confiscation next? Be grateful to see military style firearms in NZ because once they go the only thing that may finally remain to shoot off is our mouths about the good old days.
    True that. If MSSA's go then I will be looking for a new interest. That might be campaigning the get rid of the deer & duck hunters guns because they didn't think it affected them.

NZ shooters need to wake up and realise that there is a wedge being driven into our community. Anti 'any aspect' of our sport only allows that wedge to be driven deeper. All shooters should be embracing and supporting all forms of our sport - firearm racism needs to be knocked on the head asap.
    BTMO likes this.

I agree. People need to realize that military looking semi's are at the thin end of the wedge as far as gun control goes. If you look at gun control trends overseas, you will notice that these are the first firearms to be banned following any tragedy because they are easily demonized by the anti's. Once they're gone, they start to look at whats left. Like in Australia where they are even looking at clamping down on the ownership of lever actions and the anti's are crying for everybody to be restricted to owning three guns. When , you break down MSSA features, there really is no logic behind why such things should be restricted - Flash suppressor: Can't have one on an A cat semi, but it's ok to have a muzzle brake or sound suppressor. Why? Folding stock - Ok to have on a pump action shotgun, not allowed on an A cat semi. Why? I'd go on but it's drifting into politics

The rules are ridiculous and not based on reasonable common sense.

Make it harder to get the FAL, and then once you have FAL you can have A,B,E guns.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    The rules are ridiculous and not based on reasonable common sense.

Make it harder to get the FAL, and then once you have FAL you can have A,B,E guns.
    I agree. At the very least make people have some decent security, vet them thoroughly and give them practical, hands on firearm safety training rather than just a lecture. Then as you say, let us own anything. One license for all would simplify the Police's job so much, and yet here they are trying to ram legislation down our throats all because they don't like the way we want to hold onto our rifles

I firmly believe in anyone's right to use what ever they like and support any shooting sport. I'm saying the general perceptions that your average hunter and/or joe public is hard to get rid of.

Depending on what happens with the new arms bill, it may become more and more common as time goes on