Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Dehydrated meals vs backcountry etc

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Dried fruit (banana chips and berries etc) in dry porridge weighs next to nothing and is fairly nutrient dense for the weight. That's breakfast I know, but just an idea. Pronutro is king there though, originally developed specifically for emergency famine relief in Africa
    There's a new variation called Futurelife - you can get it in South African shops.

It's pretty gruesome but does make a nutritious and reasonably solid breakfast.

Mix it with milk powder and add water when needed.

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    anyone got some recipes / meals that are tasty and light?
    Basically make a mince spaghetti bolognese mixture. (Lean meat is best*) Figure out how much one serving is for you then spread that amount of mixture into one tray of the dehydrator and dry it out.
    When its dry that tray goes into a snaplock bag, one bag = one dinner. Bulk out with dehy spuds of couscous on the hill.

I will often do a bulk lot and make 20 or so meals at once then use them as required. Mostly because I hate doing dishes so economies of scale work well.

* Fat doesn't dehydrate very well and cause the meal to go rancid as small amounts of bacterial will still be living in it. For storage before going away it's best to keep the dehy meat in the freezer.
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    Every machine is a smoke machine,
    If you use it wrong enough.

https://www.trail.recipes/recipe-col...packing-meals/

I just began doing this a few days ago. Spaghetti bolagnaise and the moroccan chicken one both went well. Will probably do a veg curry as thats 4 hours instead of 10. I got one of those sunbeam units which has temp and a timer

I am not a fan of the dehydrated meals like back country. I usually end up carrying the water anyway so any weight I save by taking freeze dry, I lose by having to carry the water. I usually take the Uncle Bens rice packs that you simply ad a few table spoons of water and heat. They are usually about $2 then I had either a can of chopped chook (chop chop etc) or Tuna. Meal for one (if very hungry) or two if you are happy to share. and all for less than $4. Alternatives to the canned protein would be salami or dried meat, etc.

I dont mind the dried mash spud meals maggi used to make, but throw in some beef stock or gravy powder for flavour....The cup noodles are OK too, but I dont take the cup. I use the billy so I prefer to repack them or take the 2 minute variety to reduce the amount of rubbish. Taking paper wrapped stuff can be handy as it works to light the fire place in the huts too.

Yeah those back country ones are freeze dried which is different to dehydrated. They arent as nice, bit chalky and everything looks suspiciously like tofu.

One of the things i like about having the water separate is that you can drink it, use it however (like in a radiator in an emergency). But if its in your food you have to carry it, i can carry less and just pull mine from the river when i get there / boil it if its dodgy.