Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Offal, the nasty bits

Fresh is best when it comes to ...offal , not that i call it that , offal lends its self to something you just throw away , no matter what your eating , liver , heart , kidney straight off the hoof is outrageously good , i rarely freeze any of it , lamb or beef sweetbreads BOOM , im not one to gorge my self , well maybe sweetbreads but the point is a good nosh up now and again probably offsets the rashers of bacon i toss in with it , along with eggs . black & white pudding or haggis is also very good for breakfast & in my opinion that stuff is the life blood , sticks to ya ribs all day .
    Happy Hunting .
    Cordite and Phil_H like this.
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    That was a trick question. It's basically the same material from what I understand.
    I had to get google to help me with that big d word though.
    I do believe you are right in terms of marrow being the same stuff or substance as the brain @7mmwsm.
    However, I have been led to believe - from reading in most part - that the wasting disease in deer, along with Mad Cow and the Bovine spongiform encephalopathy and the new variant of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD) - I needed help with those big words also - are from the accumulation of an enzymes or prions in the brain and it is eating that or coming into contact with it, that can cause the spread of the disease. This layman's take on it anyway. Hence why I now avoid the brain.

Cheers
    Phil
    Last edited by Phil_H; 14-03-2021 at 11:08 PM.

Just to add to my post above, quite co-incidentally I came across this old article in Stuff from 2012

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/796...-hunters-death

It is about one of NZ victims of Mad Cow disease. He was a keen hunter and a meat inspector. He was John Andrews aged 63 years. Possibly some on the forum knew him or knew of him.

Cheers
    Phil
    Moa Hunter and Cordite like this.

I generally go for most kinds of offal, but in particular the tongue, followed by heart, liver and kidneys.

The family's meal of choice is beef tongue served hot, but not corned.

Had my 7 year old recently tell his 5 year old brother that he would enjoy the beef brisket because it tasted like tongue
    HILLBILLYHUNTERS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    Just to add to my post above, quite co-incidentally I came across this old article in Stuff from 2012

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/796...-hunters-death

It is about one of NZ victims of Mad Cow disease. He was a keen hunter and a meat inspector. He was John Andrews aged 63 years. Possibly some on the forum knew him or knew of him.

Cheers
    Phil
    Does cooking not make the meat or brain safe ?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

I eat the deer heart if it is not buggered but the rest is pig bait
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Does cooking not make the meat or brain safe ?
    From all my reading @veitnamcam, no. The offending prions are extremely heat resistant. You would have to turn the brain into cinder before it would be effected.
    This is in contrast to like of tuberculosis. Cooking tuberculosis infected meat makes it safe to eat. The danger is getting the disease into your lungs through the blood or as been suggested even the vapour that can come off the gut when you are gutting it....but I digress.

On that point though, even though I eat offal I always inspect it well before I choose to take it as food. Slightest little thing that even give a hint of and abnormality I throw it.....usually into the maggot farm for the chooks.

Cheers
    Phil

From all my reading @veitnamcam, no. The offending prions are extremely heat resistant. You would have to turn the brain into cinder before it would be effected.
    This is in contrast to like of tuberculosis. Cooking tuberculosis infected meat makes it safe to eat. The danger is getting the disease into your lungs through the blood or as been suggested even the vapour that can come off the gut when you are gutting it....but I digress.

On that point though, even though I eat offal I always inspect it well before I choose to take it as food. Slightest little thing that even give a hint of and abnormality I throw it.....usually into the maggot farm for the chooks.

Cheers
    Phil
    Good to know.
    I had thought if things were properly cooked there was very low risk of catching anything.
    Makes sense now the massive cull they did a few years back.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

Cheers
    Phil
    Great thread.

Must be mentioned the NZ cases of Jakob-Kreutzfeldt Disease are sporadic and NOT linked to diet and seems to strike people in their 50s and 60s. The 1990s UK New-Variant JKD was linked to eating diseased meat.

In the UK, the problem arose from massively magnifying a rarely occurring disease - through the practice of grinding up cattle, brains and all, and adding this mix to cattle feed. It was a gross break in the golden rule, to do as you'd be done by, to feed any species a cannibalistic diet, and who would have predicted the consequences.
    veitnamcam, JessicaChen and Phil_H like this.
    "I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." Groucho Marx