Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Tough Backstrap - help...

You'd be right on the last count Mooseman. He was living in DoC scrub and about to come out onto top pasture. The other eight I got in a less lush spot was the same large body but not quite as fat.
    Mooseman and Micky Duck like this.

You'd be right on the last count Mooseman. He was living in DoC scrub and about to come out onto top pasture. The other eight I got in a less lush spot was the same large body but not quite as fat.

Also scored a decent boar and he was pretty fat too

You could try what the Chinese do to ‘prepare’ tougher meat.
    Mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda in litre of water in Pyrex jug. Immerse backstrap in liquid, whole one if younger animal. Soak for minimum 4 hours.
    Wash baking soda mix off, then slice into thin strips and marinate.
    Personally this approach makes the difference for me with a bush red deer but don’t know about Sika - not too many running around the Longwoods or Hauroko bush
    louiannz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post

Also scored a decent boar and he was pretty fat too

You’ll need to chuck him in the lathe behind you and start turning that fat off.
    Moa Hunter and Padawan like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tui4Me View Post
    Sika backsteaks can be on the thin side and I find it’s best to vacuum pack them immediately and let them age in the bags for a week to 10 days so that they don’t dry out in the open air in the fridge
    This. 8 days in the fridge has dried the steak out too much, should’ve been vacuum packed

Failing having any kiwifruit on hand for the citric acid treatment,thickly sliced onion layered flat over the steak is a reasonable substitute for the acid hit.24 hrs.Add to the fry up til caramelized.Primo

MB
    Kiwi fruit has a protein-digesting enzyme called actinidain. In pineapples, it's bromelain.

Quote Originally Posted by louiannz View Post
    Is it just blended up fresh Pineapple? Nothing else?
    Kiwi fruit will also dissolve lamb/goat and soften beef. Imagine it would deal to venison somewhere in between, like, 30 min in marinade, or rubbed with, then cook
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

hmmm I wonder if fejoa has something similar??? wont be long before the wee green wonders will be falling off tree again,happy times but I cant eat them as fast as they drop.

MB
    You can't go past a fat Brazilian when it comes to meat.

Bill999 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    hmmm I wonder if fejoa has something similar??? wont be long before the wee green wonders will be falling off tree again,happy times but I cant eat them as fast as they drop.
    Yeap anything with acid in will tenderize meat

I'd say it was a combo of a little long on the age, and time of year. The hinds have been raising babies so can be a bit skinny and in less great condition. Just part of the game, I don't mind a bit chewy as long as the flavour is good.

Try some of the leg and if that is to tough for your likings mince and sausies are always a good time.

Don't be tempted to slow cook anything other than the front wheels, neck or shanks. A slow cooked back strap will be dryer than raw wheetbix
    louiannz likes this.

I've had 2 bad experiences eating venison and they have both been sika.

Sika stag with good layer of fat in March, aged for 1 week. Tough and chewy. Really had me scratching my head on that one. The other a skinny sika hind. Should have turned it into sausages/mince.

To be fair, I have not had a bad red or fallow for eating. Even a red stag in middle of roar was good eating.
    louiannz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    I have shot 3 animals from same spot..when skinning the membrane between hide and flesh was pinkish,not the normal white/gray...all three were in good nick and all three were tough...nothing else from same area has been tough,most are awesome.
    worst case...you got lots to mince up...or caserole. try beating it up with steak hammer before cooking,it helps no end having it sort of prechewed LOL.
    you can now make that 4 animals..... the only thing I can put it down to is animal doing it harder than normal and in decline rather than putting on condition.... also strangely this one had yellowish membrane between muscle groups...maybe been scoffing lotus major flowers and the rapidly growing fern shoots????
    I still havent had anyone else tell me they have seen the same thing.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I don't do the " leave it hanging for a week type thing". Mainly because I don't have a chiller.
    I let it hang overnight usually in my garage then do the butchering job the next day and into the freezer. But yeah, the age and condition of the animal may be a factor in this case.
    Last edited by Allizdog; 11-12-2022 at 06:51 PM.