Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 22 quick release mounts on a custom high power rifle quarter rib

22 quick release mounts on a custom high power rifle quarter rib

I am just planning part of a vintage rifle restoration and need some advice from you guys who are up to speed on quick release rimfire mounts / rings

Standard high powered rifle 1" mounts are usually the weaver base style and go on a fairly wide base
    I'm intending making a custom quarter rib that is about 12mm wide and would mill two sections of dovetail directly into it
    To keep things trim and discrete I thought a decent quality rimfire 1" quick detach ring with the narrower base like this image would do the job
    And fit on the 12mm maximum width rib
    Name:  22trl25.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  283.3 KB

Something like this but QR
    This rifle will be a medium weight 30-30 single shot so I don't think recoil will be an issue

So what sort of rings are there out there for this sort of task and will they be up to the task ?

you could go the route folks do with bakails...fit one piece airgun mount.... the grub screw means it will always return to same position on rifle and dove tail is fixed on one side so in theory it should return to zero....4 allen screws isnt quick release as such...but a fella as talented as yourself could soon change that.

sort of like this
    I want to keep it small and discrete

Name:  heil-ruger-full-left.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  350.5 KB

Those look like Talley RF rings, the CF ones are similar but a bit more robust and sophisticated in the locking mechanism - I could send you a set if you like. Ruger rings are also quite svelte.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    you could go the route folks do with bakails...fit one piece airgun mount.... the grub screw means it will always return to same position on rifle and dove tail is fixed on one side so in theory it should return to zero....4 allen screws isnt quick release as such...but a fella as talented as yourself could soon change that.
    yeh nah
    It's going on an 1885

fair enough......2nd thought,the earlier .22 scopes had a wrap around thin sheet metal rings and mounts all in one, the ends of sheet were turned in to grip dove tail...they were solid as heck.... havent seen one for years.from memory there were bolts going through underneath scope body that pulled inwards tightening whole thing up firmly...would look more inline with period you taking...

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Those look like Talley RF rings, the CF ones are similar but a bit more robust and sophisticated in the locking mechanism - I could send you a set if you like. Ruger rings are also quite svelte.
    I have a heap of QRs but they are all for Weaver style bases and don't want to make the quarter rib that wide because its a light profile tapered round barrel
    The Quarter rib will need to be high enough for the back end to extend over the receiver ring for the rear dovetail to be far enough back for eye relief
    Hence 12mm once again

but if its drool material like that one...time for me to butt out LOL.

fair enough......2nd thought,the earlier .22 scopes had a wrap around thin sheet metal rings and mounts all in one, the ends of sheet were turned in to grip dove tail...they were solid as heck.... havent seen one for years.from memory there were bolts going through underneath scope body that pulled inwards tightening whole thing up firmly...would look more inline with period you taking...
    I have plenty of those old 22 rf folded ones but they are a bit like toys for this task
    Micky Duck likes this.

Just to make things even more complicated I cant solder the quarter rib on if it hangs over the receiver ring
    So it will be a lot of fitting up to get it looking good

Can put screws through under the rings and express sight dovetails into the barrel

but if its drool material like that one...time for me to butt out LOL.
    No it won't be pretentious like that
    It is intended to be an 1885 Light Rifle
    30-30 seems a useful every day carry classic

I have plenty of big classics that leave me beaten up after a range session
    I just thought I would put this together as something that would be nice to own and use a lot
    And nice to give someone to join me on a hunt and get a taste of the joy of using these vintage guns

I'm definitely guilty of always wanting bigger classic guns
    So a modest one seems to be needed
    Micky Duck and Steelisreal like this.

Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    sort of like this
    I want to keep it small and discrete

Attachment 187132
    Trawling through Hallowellco's listings is a great way to spend an hour.
    "That is ever the way of the Highlander. He alters like a clear pool to every mood of the sky, so that the shallow observer knows not how deep the waters are."

I just measured a Talley CF base - its 0.5". Cheers

Have a look at the Warne QD rings.
    Their website has reasonable info on dimensions.
    Rib width may still be an issue.
    And availability...

old style Warne rings and bases (Premier), are (I think, but I do have a set of bases to measure) 11mm wide. These are very similar to kimber and I think also fit brno.
    I could get a happy snap of the bases that I have if you like. I believe the Warne 7.3 Rimfire rings fit those bases so maybe have a look at those.
    I can tell you the centerfire rings have had close to 70 rounds of 340 and 350gr pills with about a 50-50 split of 2200ish pfs and 2600 ish fps.
    They definitely hold zero. haven't tried the quick detach bit to see if they keep zero though