Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 270 bushpig

270 bushpig

Hi all, Looking at cutting my .270 down to a bush pig want it as short as possible (still legal) but still have the ability too shoot max 400yds. What do you guys recommend or if you have any experience doing this that would be awesome?

Sell it buy a .308 suits a short barrel better. If you chop it will be harder to sell later.

Moa Hunter likes this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Also had 130gr doing 2750 from memory
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

PS: don't use a Sauer 100. Worst action I've ever come across in my life.
    7mmsaum likes this.
    10! has 270 divisors

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    PS: don't use a Sauer 100. Worst action I've ever come across in my life.
    Don't really want to move the focus of this thread but I am interested in your take on the Sauer 100. What am I missing?
    I did buy one a little while, just as a back up rifle. So far I quite like it. Nice high comb (better head position than my Tikka t3x), excellent trigger out of the box, nice 5 shot double stack mag which can be loaded from the top and doesn't hang below the stock like my Tikka. Action is not quite as smooth but pretty good, short 60 degree bolt throw. Accuracy out of the box is good, although it took a few rounds for the barrel to settle down. I did have to disassemble the bolt and smooth the burrs around the ejector hole, these burrs were marking the fired cases and looked like pressure signs. Not a big fan of the way the bedding screws are set up with the big hex nut on the front bedding bolt but at least the factory bedding was good and true.
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    ZeroPak Vacuum Sealers, Zero air Zero waste

Cheers handy to know👍

I would like to! but it’s just an old Remington I have lying around and don’t want to spend a lot so trying to keep it cheap with what I have
    Shearer, Micky Duck and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by zeropak View Post
    Don't really want to move the focus of this thread but I am interested in your take on the Sauer 100. What am I missing?
    I did buy one a little while, just as a back up rifle. So far I quite like it. Nice high comb (better head position than my Tikka t3x), excellent trigger out of the box, nice 5 shot double stack mag which can be loaded from the top and doesn't hang below the stock like my Tikka. Action is not quite as smooth but pretty good, short 60 degree bolt throw. Accuracy out of the box is good, although it took a few rounds for the barrel to settle down. I did have to disassemble the bolt and smooth the burrs around the ejector hole, these burrs were marking the fired cases and looked like pressure signs. Not a big fan of the way the bedding screws are set up with the big hex nut on the front bedding bolt but at least the factory bedding was good and true.
    The mentioned bedding system is very agricultural, instead of proper pillars they just pack a heap of washers in there until it's about right. The bolt can turn right around 180 degrees in the action and jam in that position requiring a lengthy disassembly process to rectify, once my one did that once it was out the door for me, I thought it was maybe just a flaw with mine but I had a look at another one in a store and managed to make that one do it also - much to the dismay of the pushy salesman who was busy telling me how much of a European engineering masterpiece it was. A forum member here was given one to do a review for a prominent magazine and we managed to get that one to do it also, it was comical how heavily edited the article in the magazine was compared to his real thoughts on it.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    10! has 270 divisors

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    The mentioned bedding system is very agricultural, instead of proper pillars they just pack a heap of washers in there until it's about right. The bolt can turn right around 180 degrees in the action and jam in that position requiring a lengthy disassembly process to rectify, once my one did that once it was out the door for me, I thought it was maybe just a flaw with mine but I had a look at another one in a store and managed to make that one do it also - much to the dismay of the pushy salesman who was busy telling me how much of a European engineering masterpiece it was. A forum member here was given one to do a review for a prominent magazine and we managed to get that one to do it also, it was comical how heavily edited the article in the magazine was compared to his real thoughts on it.
    Ah yes I remember you or someone else on the forum commenting on the issue of the bolt binding up because of over rotation. I have tried to replicate this with my rifle and failed. Nor does mine have the stack of washers under either of the bedding screw. My rifle is only about 4 months old, maybe these issues have since been addressed at the factory. Both should be pretty simple things to sort out. The bolt over rotation would be because the bolt stop which ride in a groove on the LHS of the bolt is not engaging that groove sufficiently. So the simple fix would be to increase that contact by modifying the bolt stop. I guess the reason I bought one was the price at the time was around 2/3 what I would have paid for another Tikka and the reviews I read online were in general pretty favorable. Every factory rifle has is weak points (faults). Like the horrible low comb on my Tikka stock (fixed with a $1000 stock upgrade) and the fact that to get a 5 round mag in the rifle you have to accept it poking below the stock.
    ZeroPak Vacuum Sealers, Zero air Zero waste

during the 80s the .270s leaving factory were 20-21" plurry loud ..with suppressors the ywill be not so loud but you will be wasting a shit load of powder unburnt with a shorter barrel.
    if its an old dunger and you dont give a shit about resale...go for it... funny as FCUK when the Duleys were using .270w as thier other rifle when were doing season with sponsered factory ammunition... they didnt want the numbers to do it, BUT it hands down beat the other common cartridges in shorter barrel suppressed rifle AKA bushpig..... nearly fell off my chair when heard Greg say"use the .270w" but yip thats what and why....
    75/15/10 black powder matters

MB
    A little while ago, I asked the forum if some calibres were better suited to "bush pig" length barrels than others. The resounding answer was no, anything goes for non-magnum calibres.

Quote Originally Posted by Camking View Post
    Hi all, Looking at cutting my .270 down to a bush pig want it as short as possible (still legal) but still have the ability too shoot max 400yds. What do you guys recommend or if you have any experience doing this that would be awesome?
    now you knowledgeable ones - the old 8mm german Mauser - was popular back in my young days as a number of WW2 ex german army available - dropped deer bloody well - what can you make that into - must be still a few around and that bolt action hard to beat

I believe MANY of them were rebarreled into 30/06 or .270 werent they what BSA ,churchill etc used????
    the origonal isnt that bad of option either
    75/15/10 black powder matters

arent the duleys using a 270 bushpig pretty heavily? for sure youll get unburnt powder with it but could still be allright?
    Micky Duck likes this.