Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: ak47 straight pull conversion

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    Yeah Australia has now designated the lever action as a rapid fire military weapon.
    Correct, and they are using what happened in Christchurch as a reason for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    Yeah Australia has now designated the lever action as a rapid fire military weapon.
    Really? workmate just bought one earlier this week so you can still buy them here in ACT.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    funnily enough they are going to increase fines for firearms offences now to ensure our compliance but didn't do it before when we wanted it to stop civil gun crime
    Way easier to target those who abide by the law than those who won't.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    Frog ,

You be very wrong , they will get close to 100% , thru buy back , etc
    Sorry but unless you are talking soley about E cat (which are already registered) that is just comical. They have no way to know how many formerly A cat semis (or components) are around nor the means to locate the ones they know about.

Unless the buy back is a 300%+ mark up on retail, you can bet some unscrupulous assholes will take the best offer from the dodgy guy at the pub flush with P money.

I don't condone this at all by the way, I am just being realistic.
    tetawa and csmiffy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by nor-west View Post
    Really? workmate just bought one earlier this week so you can still buy them here in ACT.
    That was in the media but it is certainly indicative of the hell hole we're heading for.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogfeatures View Post
    I’m speculating that the number of firearms handed in, probably won’t be that high
    5-10% maybe ?
    Only 11% of the SKSs imported in to Australia were turned in but that didn't mean much for the people that buried them, not like you can dig it up for a day for a plink.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWuce View Post
    Only 11% of the SKSs imported in to Australia were turned in but that didn't mean much for the people that buried them, not like you can dig it up for a day for a plink.
    No, but they can be dug up and sold to someone who should not have it. Or some lucky kid could find it with a metal detector.....
    Use enough gun

Australia is slightly different.
    If you are on someone's rather massive farm/station and have an issue with pigs etc, I doubt very much there will be either any dramas from the cocky in using an illegal firearm that is more suited for the job to get it done, nor a police presence to nab you due to the remoteness.
    I would suspect that's where a lot of them reside.
    In NZ there is a far greater chance of being spotted in public unless you were on a private block.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWuce View Post
    Ever heard of " Scorched Earth" or to put it simply " If I can't have it, Fuck you"?
    With what an SKS cost's does it really matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Maybe on Queen St, Hobson St or Riccarton, but the rest of NZ, no. And there is the main part of the problem, you can't direct your entire police force to go out and start rounding up what doesn't exist.
    I do get what you mean but I beg to differ. Probably not most of the time, but imagine being out in a relatively popular area during the roar or near a hut and maybe not a hunter as he would be as pissed as a lot of us, (but some of them don't like them so threw them under the bus) or a gun scared townie tramper spots it and reports it back to the coppers. all hell would break loose.

Quote Originally Posted by BOPEast View Post
    With the possible gun law changes coming was just wondering who has done a straight pull conversion and how did you do it thanks
    What is the point? Even a Mauser bolt action would be more functional. Reaming out the barrel to make it a musket-shottie, maybe, but again little gain over a 12-gauge semi.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

I saw,a registered sks straight pull in england last year. The gas port had been cut at an angle, threaded, plugged and welded then polished smooth. The gas tube could no longer be fitted. The bolt carrier handle had also been altered with an extension that bought a vertical handle close to the trigger guard so to reload you didnt have to reach all the way forward just work it like a maral.
    I wasnt allowed to take photographs club rule, but it evidently was very handy in running bore competition.

Quote Originally Posted by GDMP View Post
    It has already been stated that conversion or modifications of semi's to keep them legal,is not going to be allowed.
    Mike McIlraith at the police demonstration before MPs showed them a 7 shot tube mag semi shotgun, with a tube extender, commenting that this was one that could be easily fixed, or words to that effect. I'd just wait and see what happens, and keep contacting your MPs about where they stand on prohibitionism.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Sorry but unless you are talking soley about E cat (which are already registered) that is just comical. They have no way to know how many formerly A cat semis (or components) are around nor the means to locate the ones they know about.

Unless the buy back is a 300%+ mark up on retail, you can bet some unscrupulous assholes will take the best offer from the dodgy guy at the pub flush with P money.

I don't condone this at all by the way, I am just being realistic.
    Thats what ive been saying all along their are numourous reasons why people wont hand them in i dont condone it either but their control techniecs only work on the willing reasons being highest bidder gets the item some will do it out of spite some will just keep it as it isnt for sale anyway some will think well the crims arent handing theirs in so why should i some may do it as a protest the mod will then speak up and tell rhem all they are criminals and they will get out in jail meanwhile they will just laugh and continue using their semis waiting to get thrown in jail rhat will probably never happen how often does a crim get a jail sentence now for an offence with a firearm probably never

Do they honestly think that unless they pay a heap that most people will hand in a mag extension for their shotguns?
    My bet is that they will get chucked in the cupboard for times when they wont get busted or there is a minor relaxation in the laws.