Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree226Likes

Thread: BSA 243

Photos...old bean....where are the photos????

Update- have stripped most of the metal work out- cleaned most of it up- removed rust- removed 99% of the black coating on the rings- will give it all another once over tmrw- cut the ring screws down, then scrub with jiff rinse and then degrease, and at some stage will Duracote either Matt black or Blue/black.
    Will also do same to barreled action soon, and sand back the stock- oil the shite out of it and send to @Hunter_Nick to recut the nearly disappeared chequering. I was thinking of attempting that part bit its too easy to eff up- and is above my pay grade

There was urethane liberally splashed about the place, inside the magwell, all over the bottom metal, i guess in an attempt to keep water out of the inletting in the stock- which is well urethaned inside.

Name:  20220415_133200.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  2.51 MB
    Name:  20220415_133235.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  2.96 MB
    Name:  20220415_133311.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  2.69 MB
    Name:  20220415_135237.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  1.74 MB
    Name:  20220415_140350.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  1.74 MB
    Name:  20220415_153200.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  2.47 MB

I’m awaiting with anticipation on how this turns out… keep up the good work.
    ANTSMAN likes this.

Anyone wanna hazard a guess at the weight of this BSA Walnut stock?

Had one years ago in .243,Very heavy but makes the recoil non existent ,
    ANTSMAN likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ANTSMAN View Post
    anyone with any links to how to disassemble trigger and adjust be appreciated.
    Further to what has already been written re trigger, I had some real trouble with mine because some 'worthy' had assembled it incorrectly in the past. Gundoc posted a very good factory diagram of the assembly. To lighten the trigger I replaced the trigger spring with an aftermarket Tikki T3 Yo Dave spring as they are near enough the same length and diametre. The trigger 'Pall' / sear engagement can also be adjusted but I left it with full engagement as I dont trust the slop on old pins etc to be safe if adjusted. All parts were polished on the faces that contact the box. The internal walls of the box also polished. Polishing made a marked difference
    Ended up with a very good light trigger that has a little backlash and creep but is totally safe
    Micky Duck and BSA270 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Further to what has already been written re trigger, I had some real trouble with mine because some 'worthy' had assembled it incorrectly in the past. Gundoc posted a very good factory diagram of the assembly. To lighten the trigger I replaced the trigger spring with an aftermarket Tikki T3 Yo Dave spring as they are near enough the same length and diametre. The trigger 'Pall' / sear engagement can also be adjusted but I left it with full engagement as I dont trust the slop on old pins etc to be safe if adjusted. All parts were polished on the faces that contact the box. The internal walls of the box also polished. Polishing made a marked difference
    Ended up with a very good light trigger that has a little backlash and creep but is totally safe
    yeah mate- I saw that post by Gundoc and sent my trigger to him for a tidy up- its now brilliant 2 stage, first pull is like 1 or 2mm and then crisp let off ,I'm very very happy.
    Micky Duck and BSA270 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by The bomb View Post
    Had one years ago in .243,Very heavy but makes the recoil non existent ,
    I remember seeing you at Oamaru hut a long time ago with a 308 Ruger Ultralite I think it was? Shit I just remembered that was a forum hunt- through this forum maybe or the other? possibly 2008/9 or 10 ish? I cant remember....
    Micky Duck likes this.

Naracoorte South Australia/From South Canterbury
    Anyone wanna hazard a guess at the weight of this BSA Walnut stock?
    1000grams minus the metal work
    ANTSMAN likes this.

I remember seeing you at Oamaru hut a long time ago with a 308 Ruger Ultralite I think it was? Shit I just remembered that was a forum hunt- through this forum maybe or the other? possibly 2008/9 or 10 ish? I cant remember....
    Nah I was running the mini30 in those days,swapped out the red dot for the scope and got a spiker on an evening hunt if I remember,I wasn’t on the forum hunt me and a mate had fly camped at Jap creek and headed back to hut for pickup by helisika.met you,seventenths and Simon I think it was,he had the spaniel,I had Bronson the GSP.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Nah I was running the mini30 in those days,swapped out the red dot for the scope and got a spiker on an evening hunt if I remember,I wasn’t on the forum hunt me and a mate had fly camped at Jap creek and headed back to hut for pickup by helisika.met you,seventenths and Simon I think it was,he had the spaniel,I had Bronson the GSP.
    thaaaaaaats right, I had me then 15 year old stepson with me I think, goood good times.

I miss my mini 30, best bush gun out there I reakon..buyback gave me $3500 for it though,think I paid less than a third of that for it.
    ANTSMAN and Micky Duck like this.

I miss my mini 30, best bush gun out there I reakon..buyback gave me $3500 for it though,think I paid less than a third of that for it.
    haha thanks aunty.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuidog View Post
    1000grams minus the metal work

Hows this?

Name:  20220415_173919.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  3.40 MB

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Ive said it before somewhere on this forum, BSA were well ahead of their time when it came to lightweight rifle design. The American market didn't really appreciate it and eventually after the Majestic, the Monarch turned into a heavy lump again to keep them happy.