Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree189Likes

Thread: Making a Rolling block rifle on my lathe.

I don`t know if I will build all the extra bits, have to see how hard it is or how lazy I am. The round bit is 3.900"dia, and yes I have fly cut a flat on one side, it was going to be the action for the Sharps but changed to a block of 4140, so its been sitting. Now it`s getting the hurry up . Tentman, I could post a pic of a drawing of the rolling block with all the goodies if you like , hang on I`ll get it sorted.
    Name:  P1030337.JPG
Views: 815
Size:  602.9 KB, I love machining.
    Name:  P1030338.JPG
Views: 1385
Size:  367.0 KB, The under lever.
    Name:  P1030339.JPG
Views: 1191
Size:  490.8 KB, The guts of it with set triggers.

northdude
    i admire your skills
    norsk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Would ruin any heat treat in the thing. Also encourages warpage, and is an order of magnitude less precise.
    Using a 1mm cut off wheel and nursing it through would be very doable. I've had to machine things that have had a useable end and a butchered mounted case cut end.
    The only way out was to snip the big lumpy slabby slagy encrusted part back closer to the needed part

It`s very pleasing when the guy I sold the .45-70 barrel to sent me a link to utube of him test firing his action with one of my barrels on it, I think he fired six shots of black powder loads with a pull string. The camera was right buy the gun and he was around a corner out of harms way, it works perfectly, great stuff. All I`ve done to improve my rifling is put a 5% back rake on the T/C cutter so it scrapes off the steel rather than cutting the steel with a forward angle that leaves scratches in the bore, yet to find out if it will work on 4140 steel. I have two lengths on order but will have to wait till it`s all clear for delivery, then will see how it goes and may be a new barrel for the Sharps. It`s all go.
    308, stevodog and takbok like this.

So the lump is losing a lot of weight, more than I can say about me as my homebrew fridge is in the workshop and I`m good at making tasty loafs of bread. Have setup the lump for what I call fly cutting , milling on the round to machine a flat on the other side, so slowly weaning it down.
    Name:  P1030340.JPG
Views: 711
Size:  611.8 KB, In the four jaw chuck.
    Name:  P1030341.JPG
Views: 706
Size:  621.7 KB, I like the K I S S way.
    Name:  P1030342.JPG
Views: 675
Size:  613.7 KB, Doing the job.

Can you please set up a timer in shot to keep a track of how long its taken to knock this into shape ?

Now you have an insight into why greenstone objects were so valuable to maori
    Seventenths and Micky Duck like this.

Hey thanks for the pic, for some reason the Gove lever has always fascinated me, and I could never figure out how it might have worked - now I know.

The "other" underlever rolling blocks, the Starr and the Nagant are beauties too.

Other fulling blocks, no never heard of them, Starr, Nagant, new to me. Have you heard of Walter B Mueller`s falling block rifle, that's new to me to.

PM me your email address and I'll send you copies of the De Haas articles on them (the Starr and Nagant), They are true rolling blocks even though they have an under-lever . . .

I`m slowly, and I mean slowly cutting out the action assembly, so no time clock, it would probably die of old age or I could before this gets finished . The block is now slab sided to 1.230" thick, that's the size of the action and now setup for fly cutting the angle face of the action front. A lot more to do but it`s keeping me busy, specially cleaning up large amounts of swarf .,
    Name:  P1030345.JPG
Views: 668
Size:  591.7 KB, Starting to look different. .AAA hell, ignore the boots !
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by homebrew.357; 24-04-2020 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Trying to get rid of the boots.
    Tommy and SixtyTen like this.

Quote Originally Posted by homebrew.357 View Post
    I`m slowly, and I mean slowly cutting out the action assembly, so no time clock, it would probably die of old age or I could before this gets finished . The block is now slab sided to 1.230" thick, that's the size of the action and now setup for fly cutting the angle face of the action front. A lot more to do but it`s keeping me busy, specially cleaning up large amounts of swarf .Attachment 137484, Starting to look different .
    Looks a lot different to me - you may be the first machinist to turn a block of steel into a pair of leather boots

Quite enjoying the build-along. Cool to see a unique type of receiver getting built!
    ebf, Frogfeatures and SixtyTen like this.

Quote Originally Posted by homebrew.357 View Post
    I`m slowly, and I mean slowly cutting out the action assembly, so no time clock, it would probably die of old age or I could before this gets finished . The block is now slab sided to 1.230" thick, that's the size of the action and now setup for fly cutting the angle face of the action front. A lot more to do but it`s keeping me busy, specially cleaning up large amounts of swarf .Attachment 137484, Starting to look different .
    Almost unrecognizable[/B]

I'm going to send him a big round bale of hay and see if he can turn it into gold
    timattalon likes this.

Friday night drinks ah !

Yer, just had a brew thanks, so with a bit of teko drawing I marked out the spots for top of the action, the two breech and hammer holes. Gives me a line on where to hack saw a lump off, saves a lot of milling time and then set up to fine fly cut the top of the action, well something like that.
    Here you go Cancross, Name:  P1030346.JPG
Views: 750
Size:  588.7 KB, Had to drill a hole through it to holed it in place.
    SixtyTen and canross like this.