Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree189Likes

Thread: Making a Rolling block rifle on my lathe.

The first mill cut out .650" slot and I needed .735" per the plans, so after a reset up to get it lined up on centre I mounted a broken mill cutter with only one cutting flute. Set in the four jaw chuck I can offset it to fly cut out to the right size, just adjust the jaws a bit to set the cutter out a bit more till the slot is at the right size, stopped at .734" so I can give it a bit of a polish. Yes there is a bit of slop in the cross slide, so spring helps and small cuts, one off my coming up projects, a new nut, have some torbin bronze and ali bronze for it and as I need the cross slide to do this will have to do some careful measuring to thread the nut. May make it like a clasp nut so I can adjust it for wear.
    Name:  P1030400.JPG
Views: 853
Size:  619.0 KB, I didn't break it, bought a box of used one`s on TRD/me, some are good and very handy.
    Micky Duck and SixtyTen like this.

Still in milling mode, have changed the cutter for a rounded tip one so puts a corner Radis to help stop cracking. This is now milled out to size ready for the hammer and breach block so may have look at carving them out from a lump of 4140 I had left over from the Sharps build. Still a lot of work on the action yet, watch this space, , could be a few years before it goes bang.
    Name:  P1030403.JPG
Views: 789
Size:  600.0 KB, Coming on slowly.

So with that part milled out it`s really starting to look like it will do the job. Fear bit of work to do yet but it`s coming a long, here`s what it looks like so far and the pins are a snug fit so I`m happy with that.
    Name:  P1030404.JPG
Views: 879
Size:  500.8 KB, What can I say.
    Name:  P1030405.JPG
Views: 766
Size:  467.9 KB, Pins are a tap out fit,

lovely work...

OK, so having milled out all the centre it needs to be square in the round corners, this was achieved by using a T/C tipped cutter from a saw blade first and then a small HSS square one to finish. Mounted in the four jaw chuck and set at the right height the lathe saddle is moved back and forward like a shaper, with small infeed on cross slide got the job done.
    Name:  P1030407.JPG
Views: 727
Size:  609.7 KB, T/C tipped blade cutter first.
    Name:  P1030408.JPG
Views: 734
Size:  617.6 KB
    Name:  P1030409.JPG
Views: 711
Size:  597.1 KB, square one to finish.
    Name:  P1030410.JPG
Views: 747
Size:  600.0 KB

Jeez your a clever bugger. Its amazing what you can get that lathe to do. Nice simple solutions too.

Yes I can get it to do most things, here`s one, It helps with my beer supplies, as I use shims to pack things up I have found that ali beer cans cut into strips are the best for this. Different brands of beer come in cans of different wall thickness and have let my wife know that I must have them for my hobby, but you will have to empty them first she said, I know, its a hard job but I know I "CAN" do it.

Quote Originally Posted by homebrew.357 View Post
    OK, so having milled out all the centre it needs to be square in the round corners, this was achieved by using a T/C tipped cutter from a saw blade first and then a small HSS square one to finish. Mounted in the four jaw chuck and set at the right height the lathe saddle is moved back and forward like a shaper, with small infeed on cross slide got the job done.
    Attachment 145656, T/C tipped blade cutter first.
    Attachment 145657
    Attachment 145658, square one to finish.
    Attachment 145659
    So how are you getting the square vertical edge at the far away side from this angle? Do you flip the whole action vertical and slot drill across the lower edge? Or shim action up and down with current setup?

http://www.youtube.com/shorts/Aag-GvhxEwA

Just saw this and thought a few would find it interesting.

Well guys this bloody lock down bit is a bugger wearing out my shoes walking the dog , getting wood to keep the fire going. My lathe has packed a sad, broken gear in gear box so using it by hand. Yep still working on my project and a few others to keep busy , so its coming along with my back yard way. I have made a barrel for it , just have to chamber it. Pic`s so far.
    Name:  P1030534.JPG
Views: 394
Size:  557.3 KB