Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Collecting Ammo

They can shove that list right up their lazy jacksy as far as I’m concerned.

I mean how many WW1 anti-tank rifles or 40mm Bofors are out there that this lot think we might use to take them down???

Thank You...............Ye Gods, the system is having a bad hair day, it won't even allow "likes"

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    @gundoc, opinion on the likes of shellcracker 12ga explosive rounds? Fired at a target such as a bird to denotate in the vicinity and hopefully drive the thing away. We got very good at landing them near enough to on individual birds in the air, made them a damn sight more effective if you could do that as the bloody feathered fiends learned to ignore them after a while. My guess is that these are hooked in under explosive projectiles and therefore banned, but no such info forthcoming.
    The definition uses the words 'high explosive' which is not what is in Bird Frite shells. Black powder is not a 'high explosive' and is classified as a 'low explosive'. Further, the definition excludes ammunition for lawful scientific, industrial, agricultural, medical, etc. use. Therefore, agricultural use covers bird scaring ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    They can shove that list right up their lazy jacksy as far as I’m concerned.

I mean how many WW1 anti-tank rifles or 40mm Bofors are out there that this lot think we might use to take them down???
    just seeing those two words makes me happy.
    dogmatix likes this.
    Use enough gun

Say, I'm looking at categorising my cartridges and I'm wondering is there any way to ascertain the the weight (gr) of a round without disassembling it (perish the thought) or x-ray tech? There doesn't seem to be any direct correlation between bullet weight and grain weight?

I know it's just another column in my spreadsheet, but ultimately, I'd like to have a round from a single manufacturer (same brass, same projectile) in all the weights (gr) they offer...

I wouldn't get too hung up on projectile weight at this stage. If you are going to collect modern sporting ammo the weights are easy to find, usually. Likewise most military.
    Very old ammo, not so. You can research online for that info or if you end up joining catridges collectors they have a wealth of knowledge and can help.

Weighing complete catridges - I have some sealed packets (beautifully tied with string) but in some cases no loose examples of same. I wouldn't dream of opening the packets to get at a single catridge. Substantial value would be destroyed.

I also have a few copies (years 2017, 2018?) of the NZ Cartridge Collectors Club 2 monthly magazines that you can have which would give you insight to the more serious collecting.
    ocium likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    Theres a Cartridge Collectors Club meeting in Okato in Taranaki on Saturday the 21st of this month if you are interested.

NZCCC Home
    Just got in touch with Henry (NZCCC) and have applied for membership. The fuzz told me that I would need to be a member of a collectors club in order to qualify for bona fide collector status so I can look at a C & P endorsement with them.
    $204 and no guarantees they will endorse me; I feel like my avatar looks.
    Last edited by ocium; 03-10-2019 at 07:01 PM.
    Kiwi Sapper and Cordite like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ocium View Post
    ............................ The fuzz told me that I would need to be a member of a collectors club in order to qualify for bona fide collector status so I can look at a C & P endorsement with them.
    $204 and no guarantees they will endorse me; I feel like my avatar looks.
    Many thanks for that as i suspect it will also apply to those of us who collect a particular type / brand of firearm and are soon to be backed into a corner by "Constable Plod and his Bovver Boys" who will come around "for a friendly chat" to ask us why why we need 15 rifles.

Name:  bovver boys.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  219.4 KB
    ocium likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Sapper View Post
    Thank You...............Ye Gods, the system is having a bad hair day, it won't even allow "likes"
    WTF, how many massacre shooter have ever used such ammo - especially in NZ???

It's all part of the screwing down of all our fun 'to keep the public safe'....

Next time im down your way ill drop of selection of my reloads
    ocium likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by muka88 View Post
    Next time im down your way ill drop of selection of my reloads
    Thanks heaps! They will be greatly appreciated

Come up and see me in Carterton.
    I've got some old CAC in 308W, and various others that you could be interested in - all 308.
    Oh - this Sunday is out - taking the new bike for a spin with the Wairarapa Ulysses Club.
    Sort something out after I get back from SI late October.
    PM me and we'll sort something out
    ocium likes this.