Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: FAL application turn around time frames

FAL application turn around time frames

So my FAL application is in and I'm off to do the safety course next weekend. Does anyone have an inkling on processing time for new applications? South Canterbury based if that's relevant.
    Whilst I understand that the process takes as long as it takes..... I'm keen to get going as the bloody wallabies are decimating future wifeys natives and food tree's!!

Dad applied for his license and is based in Auckland. He applied about a month and half ago. He sat the safety course last weekend and has final vetting interviews next week. After the interviews it should be a couple of weeks to get the license all going well. So, roughly a couple of months-ish?

Quote Originally Posted by Tall kiwi View Post
    Dad applied for his license and is based in Auckland. He applied about a month and half ago. He sat the safety course last weekend and has final vetting interviews next week. After the interviews it should be a couple of weeks to get the license all going well. So, roughly a couple of months-ish?
    Wow, that's quick!! Today I was told 9-12 months.......so fingers crossed we're as efficient down here as Auckland....🧐

Quote Originally Posted by Zedrex View Post
    Wow, that's quick!! Today I was told 9-12 months.......so fingers crossed we're as efficient down here as Auckland....��
    Fingers crossed. I think the new Firearms authority have got their A into G. When I had a chat with one of the guys at Gun City they also said they heard of people getting their license within 4 months.

This time last year it probably would have taken 9-12 months. I applied in January 2022 and it took a total of 14 months for my license to arrive...

It seems like it, when I first started looking into the FAL application process last year, it took me 3 phone calls to find the right person to talk to. The FSA so far have been onto it and prompt in handling my queries.
    Tall kiwi likes this.

Been helping a hunting friend renew his fal,since last November.He just recieved his hard plastic card copy today in the mail.So took about 7months from start to finish.English not his first language so needed a little help.
    Time for him to get a deer in the freezer befor real winter sets in.
    Black Rabbit likes this.

Tauranga, although back home to the mainland sometime
    I applied for a renewal 3 months ago and I had the licence process done in 3 weeks (interviews and safe check within that timeframe) I was astounded. The man here in Tauranga was slick. He said it had a lot to do with having available referees.

Day 0 for me - submitted my paper application and supporting documents to my local police station.

Interestingly I was asked for photo ID when handing over the paperwork !!!

I pointed out the application included a large photocopy of my FAL and two passport type photos - but that wasn't good enough as - despite the current photos of me - I could be someone else applying for a license in my name !!!

Rather than argue the point I dug out my drivers license to satisfy the request. Best not to argue at the police station.
    BSA, outlander and Jukes like this.

Friends have been telling me things are going a bit quicker these days. New FAL taking less priority to FAL renewals.

Yesterday got an email asking me to choose 3 calendar slots for interview and inspection next month, seems like things are moving along nicely 👍🏻
    BSA likes this.

Mine took almost 2 years to the day.. Dec 2020 - Dec 2022.. 4 months in incredibly fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Day 0 for me - submitted my paper application and supporting documents to my local police station.

Interestingly I was asked for photo ID when handing over the paperwork !!!

I pointed out the application included a large photocopy of my FAL and two passport type photos - but that wasn't good enough as - despite the current photos of me - I could be someone else applying for a license in my name !!!

Rather than argue the point I dug out my drivers license to satisfy the request. Best not to argue at the police station.
    On June 2 (Day 9) I received the following email:
    "We have confirmed all the components of you Firearms Licence Application and now will be passing it on to your District to create your vetting pack.

For any other information or queries please contact your local District.

Please familiarise yourself with the Secure Storage and Transportation Standards for Firearms and Ammunition prior to the vetting interview:
    https://www.firearmssafetyauthority....transportation

Please ensure that you have your firearms storage installed at your home address before the vetting team arrives to conduct interviews. Any other installations should be discussed with your local Arms Officer.

New legislation that came into effect November 29th 2022, now allows for existing firearms licence holders to be able to continue to use and possess firearms while they wait for their application for a new licence to be processed, provided they applied for a new licence before their previous licence expired. This includes all activities associated with their licence such as purchasing firearms, ammunition and the continuation of endorsements.
    "
    DemocKot likes this.

Just some bloke
    Quote Originally Posted by CovertHunter View Post
    Mine took almost 2 years to the day.. Dec 2020 - Dec 2022.. 4 months in incredibly fast.
    Had a similar experience with mine, 22 months.
    Pleased that they have sorted some things out and doing them a little bit quicker now..

Just 3 months for my nephews

In Auckland, it may be faster than somewhere else, I received my FAL in less than three months but it was in 2018. Even before the change, a guy I know lives in Qtwn, his FAL took about 7 months and that was 10 years ago. A police friend told me that thing could be different for some applicants....
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.