Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: FAL application turn around time frames

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Day 56:
    New, colourful, "New Zealand Firearms Licence" arrived this morning.

Just under 2 months from application to receipt of the new licence.

Excellent news! I am highly envious, as I'm 3 weeks into the "your license will be mailed out to you within the next 4 weeks" this final wait is possibly the most frustrating part of the whole process! Still, theory says at some point in the next 7 days my very own colourful FAL will appear
    10-Ring likes this.

In Taranaki it's taken approx 4 months - longest wait was to sit the safety course as it's only held once a month down here atm. Then about another month after that for the vetting interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by useraccounts View Post
    Hey team. I was 4 months from application to receiving my licence in the mail, Canterbury region.
    Might pay to hop over to the introduction thread and tell us a bit about yourself.
    Zedrex and Eat Meater like this.
    If you have a garden and a library, you have all you need. Oh, and a dog, and a rifle

So it has arrived, well it arrived on the 29th, so that was a total of 101 days from application submission to receiving my new license, of which 29 days was waiting for my license after it had been approved, I was expecting a much longer wait, given some of the horror stories that have been shared on here about wait times prior to the FSA being formed. Hopefully long waits will cease to be a thing.

Well 40 odd days since renewal submitted, all interviews completed a couple of weeks ago, waiting somewhat patiently...

Banned
    I dont recall the date of application - but well before the start of registration . Both referees were video interviewed fairly quickly , then a 6 week wait for personal interviews - then notification of renewal approval 5 days after those interviews.

And - because I applied before the commencement of the register , renewal is not an activating event ....

Put the application in in June, vetting done a couple of weeks ago so I'm doing the wait for the card part now. Vettor was saying there trying for a two month turn around.
    Zedrex likes this.

Wow, what a surprise today I just got my shinny new (Renewal) FAL in the post. I didn't receive an email to say it was approved like others have, but this is even better. End of June, to mid August from start of the process, to getting renewed license. It seems there are as many variations to process as there are people, but when its all said and done happy I can go shopping again!!
    Zedrex likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    Put the application in in June, vetting done a couple of weeks ago so I'm doing the wait for the card part now. Vettor was saying there trying for a two month turn around.
    It definitely seems that they're getting the process completed in a much shorter time frame than has been the case historically. I got my FAL 4 weeks to the day after I got the letter saying it'd be posted out "within the next 4 weeks"

Quote Originally Posted by Zedrex View Post
    It definitely seems that they're getting the process completed in a much shorter time frame than has been the case historically. I got my FAL 4 weeks to the day after I got the letter saying it'd be posted out "within the next 4 weeks"
    I'm just going off what the vettor said. Checked on the website and nothing came up, kind of freaked me out as I'd done the application through it. So I called the 0800 number and prepared for the the worst only to be told I'd entered the wrong expiry date. New expiry is 2033.

Hi all, when i received my new FAL in the post the letter it was attached to it had this at the bottom, is this just generic information that we all get?

-You are required to notify NZ Police of any changes of address....
    -You should now put in place arrangements for the lawful disposal of your firearms in the event of your death....

In my case I had no prevision (at the time of the interview) for the legal disposal of my firearms in the event of my death, so just wondered if this is customized to the applicant.

I guess it doesn't really matter, as I'm going to do it anyway, just curious.

Thanks

No, it's just you
    My letter didn't specifically have that and I don't recall answering that on any paperwork but think during my interview I said my referee would be taking poses ion of any firearms in the even of my passing, although the Mrs will have her FAL before that happens so won't be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by k300 View Post
    Hi all, when i received my new FAL in the post the letter it was attached to it had this at the bottom, is this just generic information that we all get?

-You are required to notify NZ Police of any changes of address....
    -You should now put in place arrangements for the lawful disposal of your firearms in the event of your death....

In my case I had no prevision (at the time of the interview) for the legal disposal of my firearms in the event of my death, so just wondered if this is customized to the applicant.

I guess it doesn't really matter, as I'm going to do it anyway, just curious.

Thanks
    It could be just something the interviewer picked up on during your chat and had that note added for your benefit.

Personally my brother & I have access to each others storage and would step up if the need arose.

My whole FAL process was just over 3 months.
    Mid-May - Applied for FAL (easy form, no major issues, don't miss out parts)
    Early June - Safety course (this can be a big hold up, especially of you're away from a big SI city)
    Early August - Personal and partner interview (Get your safe in asap, be humble but show some knowledge)
    Mid August - Reference interviewed (Choose a good quality mate on your form!)
    21th August - Approved (Great end for a crap Monday...)
    Now just waiting impatiently for the official card...

Wide and I sent our applications in on the 27th May. Got a call to set up the interviews on the 27th July - 8 weeks to the day. Interview the following week and 10 days later the plastic arrived in the mail. Job done.

Sounds like they're catching up on things but having a 5 year licence period for the newbies will put the pressure back on them in another 18 months from now.