Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree502Likes

Thread: Feeling sick after reading this !

Quote Originally Posted by OGM View Post
    And the media who are clearly hooked on all that taxpayer, opps I mean government, loot.
    Not to mentioned staffed by the same type of people, a pre-requisite for a job there.

I would wager they are still only checking a fraction of the incoming containers for ANY reason. Let alone looking for firearms.

Tonnes of drugs are not being flown in by air per annum.

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    I would wager they are still only checking a fraction of the incoming containers for ANY reason. Let alone looking for firearms.

Tonnes of drugs are not being flown in by air per annum.
    As I understand drugs and other organics stick out with the new xray technology. Metal all looks the same.

I worked in a forensics lab for a while and got to shoot a couple of their firearms. None had serial numbers. It's not hard to destroy them and then a register cant be used to back track a firearm. Good for confiscations though which has happened a few times in OZ.

Two examples of guns getting into country. One about 33 years ago one about 30 years ago.
    I was offered a 1911 style 9mm
    With two boxes of ammo. $1500
    All shady as. It was from smuggled in shipment between the container roof walls. The police got onto it. 1/4 of shipment was gone. They thought they had the whole lot.
    Down invercargill at pub and stranger came up we got talking next thing he is asking if I wanted to buy guns crossbows or hand granades. I assumed he was full of it and said sure what you got.
    We then went to his car and he had 3 crossbows 6 rifles, about a dozen pistols and 4 granades.
    I suddenly realised this dude was a serious person to be messing around with and said sweet met me back here tomorrow and I'll see how much cash I can scrape up. Never went back or back to that pub.
    Guns come in from multiple places.
    If you think that pistols arnt coming in, your wrong. Why don't we hear stuff all about them.? Because they are not offered to nut cases who do stupid stuff like armed hold up. Senior gang members don't want the heat a pistol would bring down ( worse than a rifle) but they are there. Hidden away and used when needed.
    The pub dude I think had some how nicked military supply least it looked like it.
    Then there was the sweet old lady not that long ago who's husband had died and I helped move stuff for her. Offered me her husbands old air pistol for my help (knew I shoot air guns) 22 cal revolver cartridge pistol. I told her what it was and sujested she hand it to police.
    Come to think of it also was guy in Broadwood up north.
    He had a Russian 22 target pistol. Asked me if I knew what it was. He wasn't registered.
    Reality is ships, planes, stolen, mailed in parts, smuggled in luggage there is a steady stream of illegally obtained guns coming into country.
    The police simply arnt smart enough to stop it. Never will be.
    Fal holders are going to pay the price for, under the misguided belief that if there's f all fal holders, then it's easier to catch ppl who shouldn't have them, and be harder to smuggle in.
    Both illusions as you all well know.

Just reading this thread my opinion wont be popular with some.

I think that whatever the changes, the authorities are making, are proposing to make, and should make, are what we voted them into office to do on our behalf. Democracy, even when one side loses.

I too see news stories, where the punishment does not fit, or is too light for the crime. As I've said before, I have Lawyers and Judges in the family, and I'm old enough to know, that in the main the courts get it right and any lenient sentence, is either appropriate or has a good reason that is not public facing.

My personal view on fire arms licensing and registration, is that if we all get a licence and register our firearms then we're doing a good thing. If someone doesn't then throw the book at him/them. I'd like to see mandatory prison sentences for gun crimes.

I don't think that, when a police action turns out to be a mistake, that we should greet it with cries to get rid of the whole police force.

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    As I understand drugs and other organics stick out with the new xray technology. Metal all looks the same.
    I once, when travelling, happened upon an area, where they were x=raying bags, and where I could stand, off to the side (after my bags had been x-rayed) and I could view the screen and the two operatives that were looking at it. I stood there for about 10 minutes, before they noticed me and moved me on.

In that time I saw, as you say, that any organic material was very obvious, orange and bright colours, with details like the knitted thread in wool (I assume) jumpers, being plainly visible. I could see the inside of iPads, laptops and metal was also obvious. I didn't see a gun, but the shapes and insides of things like razors and hip flasks made it obvious, that if there was a gun there it'd be seen.

I contend that if someone is looking at an x-ray of luggage or a container, then they will see a gun if it is there.

As to the frequency, of x-raying luggage and containers, I don't know.
    HG Man likes this.

Here y'go

Gun parts found hidden in peanut butter jars at New York airport

https://nypost.com/2022/12/24/man-ar...t-butter-jars/

I sense a business opportunity, home x-ray machines for sale.

I've got three jars of peanut butter in the cupboard, should I be worried?
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkN View Post
    As to the frequency, of x-raying luggage and containers, I don't know.
    It's currently 4 to 5 %

Some years ago i was in australia on a job .Working with sth australian police &customs guys it wasnt difficult to get talking on firearms gangs etc etc .
    What opened my eyes was a tale about a raid (by their STG)on a bikie enclave out in the desert area after some strife in Adelaide. Found -a fully equipped machinery shop staffed by 3 ex RAAF armourers .FMR-sitting there 4 fully functional M60 machineguns and one getting its final spruce up prior to testing. mayhem -a bloody understatement.
    These guys also said due to Aussies vast often deserted coastline detection and intereception of illegal arms imports (eastern europe /soviet bloc weapons) their task was often nigh on impossible.
    Given the current volatility in NZ IMHO its not entirely beyond the realms of possibility something similar could be in the pipeline or indeed active.
    7mmwsm, Moa Hunter and RV1 like this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkN View Post
    I've got three jars of peanut butter in the cupboard, should I be worried?
    Only if it is smooth.
    300CALMAN and RV1 like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

We expect a lot of our police and they can only do so much.
    Their leadership and direction is one of the problems.
    But statistic tell us they can only do so much.
    I ride motorbikes and get the occasional ticket for speeding.
    At one stage getting one about every 25000k or a couple a year.
    But the odds of getting caught a pretty low if you run a radar detector and pick your roads.
    This is what the crims do to pick the lowest risk options and expect to not get caught that often.

The police admin do not want to admit things are not going well for them no different to the rest of us we do not tell the boss we are
    not up to it.
    The problem also is media is selective in what they want to publicise and who can blame them.
    Advertising is their revenue and you will get more revenue telling a story about Meghan and Harry than a statistic on illegal gun intercepts.
    Last edited by erniec; 03-01-2023 at 08:54 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kruza View Post
    Two examples of guns getting into country. One about 33 years ago one about 30 years ago.
    I was offered a 1911 style 9mm
    With two boxes of ammo. $1500
    All shady as. It was from smuggled in shipment between the container roof walls. The police got onto it. 1/4 of shipment was gone. They thought they had the whole lot.
    Down invercargill at pub and stranger came up we got talking next thing he is asking if I wanted to buy guns crossbows or hand granades. I assumed he was full of it and said sure what you got.
    We then went to his car and he had 3 crossbows 6 rifles, about a dozen pistols and 4 granades.
    I suddenly realised this dude was a serious person to be messing around with and said sweet met me back here tomorrow and I'll see how much cash I can scrape up. Never went back or back to that pub.
    Guns come in from multiple places.
    If you think that pistols arnt coming in, your wrong. Why don't we hear stuff all about them.? Because they are not offered to nut cases who do stupid stuff like armed hold up. Senior gang members don't want the heat a pistol would bring down ( worse than a rifle) but they are there. Hidden away and used when needed.
    The pub dude I think had some how nicked military supply least it looked like it.
    Then there was the sweet old lady not that long ago who's husband had died and I helped move stuff for her. Offered me her husbands old air pistol for my help (knew I shoot air guns) 22 cal revolver cartridge pistol. I told her what it was and sujested she hand it to police.
    Come to think of it also was guy in Broadwood up north.
    He had a Russian 22 target pistol. Asked me if I knew what it was. He wasn't registered.
    Reality is ships, planes, stolen, mailed in parts, smuggled in luggage there is a steady stream of illegally obtained guns coming into country.
    The police simply arnt smart enough to stop it. Never will be.
    Fal holders are going to pay the price for, under the misguided belief that if there's f all fal holders, then it's easier to catch ppl who shouldn't have them, and be harder to smuggle in.
    Both illusions as you all well know.
    Sheep as a lamb ... if I was a crim planning to import firearms I wouldnt be bringing in shotguns and bolt action rifles, it would be machine pistols, AUG's etc
    RV1 likes this.

Last time I checked with my P importer there was a two for the price of one deal going on. And every 5 Kgs of heroin got you another point towards a free pistol.
    My point here is that illegal trade in arms goes hand in hand with the illegal importation of drugs. Neither have been slowed or reversed.
    stingray, mikee, BSA and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Sheep as a lamb ... if I was a crim planning to import firearms I wouldnt be bringing in shotguns and bolt action rifles, it would be machine pistols, AUG's etc
    As I've said elsewhere, if these were being imported, we'd be seeing them in the Police press releases, but we dont. We see (obviously hunting) shotguns, bolt actions, ARs/SKS and the occasional pistol.

And like you say, you wouldn't bother importing shotguns etc, esp when you can buy them legit from a shop.
    Seventenths likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HG Man View Post
    As I've said elsewhere, if these were being imported, we'd be seeing them in the Police press releases, but we dont. We see (obviously hunting) shotguns, bolt actions, ARs/SKS and the occasional pistol.

And like you say, you wouldn't bother importing shotguns etc, esp when you can buy them legit from a shop.
    Why are you sure we would see these figures in Police press releases ? If releasing this information weakens the expected result of a firearms registry it would be suppressed. Most drugs do not come in shipping containers they come via large yachts, big money at stake and serious protection provided.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Why are you sure we would see these figures in Police press releases ? If releasing this information weakens the expected result of a firearms registry it would be suppressed. Most drugs do not come in shipping containers they come via large yachts, big money at stake and serious protection provided.
    I would suggest a lot of the "imports" are actually arriving afixed to the outside of merchant vessels. Most likely the vessels don't even know they are there.
    The reality is if a gang were organised (and had balls of steel) it would not be at all difficult to take a small speedboat in good weather out past 200nm line and tranship at sea.
    Small boats are hard to detect and in good weather some a capable of over 40kts sustained

Containers are also likely given the volume detection is a risk worth taking I guess.

Bad guys are hard to catch and dangerous and scary, where as law abiding are easy to find and not at all dangerous or scary!!
    7mmwsm, tetawa, stingray and 2 others like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.