Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree274Likes

Thread: Firearms Registry Consultation Open

The criminally inclined won 't give a damm.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    I have no issues with the Registry in its self
    It’s no Different than Rego on a car you buy a new car you put it in your name….
    It also means you have a record of your firearms incase of theft

Things I am worried about are what if the Registry is hacked or leaked
    It could be used as a shopping list for the criminals

Is there any catches ie are they going to start asking you to justify everything you own etc etc

The registry it’s self is probably a good thing imo….. as long as the access to the information isn’t abused by the powers that be
    It isn't if the Registry is hacked or leaked - it is when it is leaked or stolen.
    When the criminals get their copy of the registry - and they will - it becomes their shopping list with the what where and how details.

Whatever security you have is meaningless when several large criminals threaten to beat the proverbial out of you our your family if you open your safe(s) for them. Registry might help to subsequently recover or identify your stolen firearms. It won't protect you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    It isn't if the Registry is hacked or leaked - it is when it is leaked or stolen.
    When the criminals get their copy of the registry - and they will - it becomes their shopping list with the what where and how details.

Whatever security you have is meaningless when several large criminals threaten to beat the proverbial out of you our your family if you open your safe(s) for them. Registry might help to subsequently recover or identify your stolen firearms. It won't protect you.

That should read if you don't open your safe(s)

end of the day if some scumbag has a gun pointed at you or knife at your kids throat etc the safe will get opened. and registration will only add to the extra risk of this happening. only takes one person who has the ability to see the info and who needs the cash or drugs they need to leak the info or some bright bugger who can hack their way into the database and the risk of being held hostage to release our firearms will increase
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I had a thought that in the old days of the paper registry any sort of sharing through illegal or criminal activity, would be minimised by being more localised but that obviously went to poose recently from sensitive document being left in that abandoned cop shop.
    Once online it will be widespread with no doubt.
    The biggest reason other than cost that it will fail.
    The side notes of almost guaranteed major inaccuracy and just outright lack of ability to actually manage it in a timely manner also does it no favours.
    Actually the last point is probably the biggest thing.
    They have been struggling to manage licenses.
    What's the bet they wont be able to keep up with it from the start to make it work even on that level

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    The criminally inclined won 't give a damm.
    And that's what this idiocy always comes down to
    outlander likes this.

BSA
    Quote Originally Posted by GDMP View Post
    As endorsement holders already know,the current register of restricted items has not been particularly accurate over the years.......can't see why the much larger one will be any different.And this time the problems will affect all license holders not just the relative handful with endorsements.
    Especially as we all do it in hard copy rather than on-line, and remember we have until 2028. Why on earth should we make it easier for them when they are going far and away out of their way to make it as difficult as it can be for us.

Put all this stuff in your submissions folks. The more holes you can pick in it the better.
    Be as specific as you can and provide ideas on how to get it to work better.

Then if they don't listen at least you tried, and if they don't then you have a right to complain because you submitted.

Always identify your target beyond all doubt because you never miss and I will be missed

COLFO had said they would have a summary up sometime this week. I will be keen to see this and see if there's anything I overlooked. Submissions close 14 October so still time to add another to the heap that will be ignored.
    BSA and Bol Tackshin like this.

Link to thread by Percy Jones with COLFO's response

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....egistry-87361/

Wonder if Pinnacle Health stored LFO info?
    BSA and Ranger 888 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    Dumb idea that you if you buy ammunition you have to enter the info on all your firearms in the registry - it will result in an early flood of info and crash the whole system.
    Wrong. It is part of a scheme to know every bit about how many guns you have and how much ammunition. Inexorably ... you do not need that amount of ammunition and seek for it to be reduced or forfeited. Mark my words.
    BSA and Ranger 888 like this.

over here, over there, either here, or there
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    COLFO had said they would have a summary up sometime this week. I will be keen to see this and see if there's anything I overlooked. Submissions close 14 October so still time to add another to the heap that will be ignored.
    Go here https://www.facebook.com/colfonz/ for their response.

Just seen this from the meeting.
    Regulations discussed, to date only 180 submissions received and given the low response to date there will be no modification of the proposed regulations. PLEASE MAKE YOUR SUBMISSION SO WE MAY HAVE A CHANCE TO INFLUENCE THIS.
    --- So; as it stands; they are intending IGNORE submissions made so far on the excuse of not enough! Cripes! Did I waste my time?
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Got my submission done.
    2.5 hours.
    Do it.