Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Hearing Protection

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    I have a set of moulded ear plugs made by Jaytod Ears. They are fantastic at blocking out noise as they are moulded to the shape of your outer ear and ear canal.
    So yours are a one piece set?

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Oli1102 View Post
    I have a set of custom moulded pro impulse! I purchased them through Bay Audiology in Auckland about 18months ago.

I would rate them 9/10. The fit and comfort is amazing and I can quite easily wear them for 8+hrs without ever thinking my ears need a rest. As far as noise reduction goes I would rate them more effective than my grade5+ peltor muffs in outdoor environments. For field shooting, bush or an open range I have shot and been beside up to a 280AI (with muzzle brake) with no issues.

The only time I have found them lacking is when shooting in an environment where the sound is contained or reverberating. For me this is usually shooting pistol in bays with a concrete/gravel floor and a roof over the shooting position. They are still good but if I was doing that everyday as my main use I would stick to muffs or wear them over the top. I wonder whether the immediate echo from the building is too quick for the filter to reset and then activate again, so the echo comes in with the filter partially open, giving say 80% reduction or something on the echo.
    I am in the market for comfortable plugs as well for ipsc. I get sore wearing muffs and glasses all day at a match. I know it is asking a lot of the tension in the muffs and glasses for my enormous mellon so thinking good plugs are the way to go.
    I think all electronic hearing protection struggle to operate properly in situations you described in pistol bays and the like so a good point to be wary of. My ears are buggered and I can hear cicadas 4000' feet up a mountain during the middle of winter.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.