Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree116Likes

Thread: Loaded Rifle

Yep, and pulling back only to half cock, which used to be common, was not safe leading the the "going off at half cock" expression.

I mostly hunted on my own. Didn't have to worry about what my companion was doing behind me.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Relevant to this post, the Canadian firearms safety course basically hinges around two acronyms that cover most firearms safety in terms of handling:

ACT and PROVE

ACT for general use:
    Assume every gun is loaded
    Control muzzle direction
    Trigger finger off the trigger and out of trigger guard

PROVE for whenever you pick up or put down a firearm to ensure it isn't accidentally loaded:
    Point the firearm in a safe direction
    Remove the magazine/ammunition
    Observe the chamber
    Verify the feed path between the magazine and chamber
    Examine the bore for obstructions (a loaded round, squib projectile, dirt etc)

If you follow the steps in this order you don't end up cycling a round into the chamber when clearing the firearm, which is the issue with other clearing methods. When you're in the habit of doing it you just do it as you handle a firearm and it doesn't take any time at all.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    I always instill in people, the first thing you do when you handle a firearm is point in a safe direction and open the action.
    With the exception of slam fires such as Gevarms, a firearm will not fire with the action open.
    Yup, I always maintain, you can mess up every other safety rule but if it’s pointed in a safe direction, all will still be well.

I get the shits with people muzzle sweeping me, I don’t care that the bolt is out or you have a chamber flag in, it’s terrible gun manners and a bad habit that can one day end in tragedy.
    If you practice never doing it, even with a “safe” rifle, it becomes something you do and could save a life if you ever make another mistake.

I have 2 conditions of carrying my rifle, bolt closed on and empty chamber when not hunting and loaded with safety on when hunting, no grey area, muzzle always in a safe direction. If an obstacle needs crossing, unload and make safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MB, stagstalker and Huntfisheat like this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

We all do our best to be careful but unfortunately mistakes just happen, we are human and human error doesn't go away. In my lifetime of being around firearms, during the mishaps I have observed or been a part of, the number one thing that has kept myself or others safe is pointing the firearm in a safe direction at all times.
    doinit likes this.