Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree297Likes

Thread: Police pushing firearms safety in mass media

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    You guys are getting sidetracked.

Arms regulations 1992:

the holder, where he or she has both a firearm and am- munition for it in his or her possession, either—
    (i) shall take reasonable steps to ensure that the am-
    munition is not stored in such a way that a person who obtains access to the firearm also obtains ac- cess to the ammunition; or
    (ii) shall ensure that, where the ammunition is stored with the firearm, the firearm is not capable of being discharged:

Has this been updated recently ?

Sure, you don't legally have to keep your bolt and ammo stored separately but it's reasonable that you do and the police want to encourage you to. It's a safety drawback of some types of firearms that you can't take the bolt out and store it separately.

Part of the agenda here will be to discourage opportunistic thefts by raising expectations that stealing a firearm won't yield a useable weapon or its ammunition. Your own family (specially your children) are the ones most likely to get hold of your gun and have an accident, so if you want them to feel safe, let them know its stored safely too.
    I agree with everything you say but it irritates the fuck out of me when police start mandating what is not in legislation
    veitnamcam, Steve123 and outlander like this.

Crimestoppers..another name for Gun Control NZ?
    Growlybear likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by striker View Post
    So everyone who says the store bolts separately, Do you remove the fuel from your car, ute, motorbike, tractor, boat between uses? your house contents when your not home?
    In my opinion a locked house, car or approved safe is just that -locked.
    Nope, but if removing the fuel or house contents was as quick as easy as removing my rifle bolt I might. It's just an easy extra precaution, and I would get some small satisfaction if any rifles stolen were unusable.
    My car has an alarm and immobiliser, and the house a monitored alarm, and I use them in addition to locking the doors - call me crazy if you wish!

Quote Originally Posted by striker View Post
    Just interested as I heard a yarn about a firearms burglary a little while back, bad guys had a coke bottle of petrol and lighter, squirted the Mrs. of the house thru the security door, safe was opened real fast.
    The point being approved security or not, bolts in or out, they all would be forcibly handed over (unless you don't like your Mrs anymore )
    If someone really wants them they will get them, no matter what you do. The best firearm security is the crims not knowing you have any. So far I have been burgled twice (the second one was a targeted attempt at the firearms), but haven't suffered a home invasion.
    Micky Duck and XR500 like this.

And a life sentence.
    Steve123 and Micky Duck like this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

48 hours in stocks on main street.......

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    Nope, but if removing the fuel or house contents was as quick as easy as removing my rifle bolt I might. It's just an easy extra precaution, and I would get some small satisfaction if any rifles stolen were unusable.
    My car has an alarm and immobiliser, and the house a monitored alarm, and I use them in addition to locking the doors - call me crazy if you wish!

If someone really wants them they will get them, no matter what you do. The best firearm security is the crims not knowing you have any. So far I have been burgled twice (the second one was a targeted attempt at the firearms), but haven't suffered a home invasion.
    question:
    how did they know u had firearms?
    outlander likes this.
    Patience Is A Virtue

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    If someone really wants them they will get them, no matter what you do. The best firearm security is the crims not knowing you have any.
    Hence our reticence with an On line register. Just ask the Waikato DHB how secure a 'secure' database is...
    gonetropo, outlander and Dago like this.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    Hence our reticence with an On line register. Just ask the Waikato DHB how secure a 'secure' database is...
    It's worse than that. The registry is deliberately internet facing. It's when, not if it gets compromised.

Mcilraith tried to explain it away and talk to me like an idiot when I raised this at his "roadshow".It's only when i started quoting nz information security manual that he shut his trap. I thought he was an ass hole.

I'm curious what classification the registry will be as well.

Well it sure as hell isn't the Mongols, H.A., H.H., the Mongrels or the Black mobs.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jusepy View Post
    question:
    well I dont really hide the fact Im a hunter....decoys all over the section,deer get taken out of wagon and hung in garage,meat gets shared with neighbours and work mates. I go in and out of house into car etc with rifle or shotgun..heck Ive been taking rifle to work the last couple of weeks to shoot hares on boss's farm and hopefully catch up with pigs rooting up paddocks.....
    the guy at mainfreight who rang you to collect firearm from main depot...the folks who over heard him,the office girl who processed the paperwork...the guys at gunshitty you bought it off....the police who gave you licence,the person who inspected your safe,your references,the people who looked at employing your wife to look after children in your home..... your insurance company and their employees..the local garage where you take car for warrent of fitness...
    need I go on????
    veitnamcam and Jusepy like this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Jusepy View Post
    question:
    The guy who did the first burglary saw them and came back a few weeks later with a mate and tools.

didnt mention facebook,twitter,snapchats etc...anyone who knows or recognises you on social media and ties that to hunting/shooting has fair idea you will have firearms....the local butcher employs folks......the list of possibilities is endless...far better to have things as secure as you can,than to hope no body knows you have them.
    Steve123 and Jusepy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    But who's telling them our side of the story ?
    All they see or hear is police/govt side with all these ads being thrust upon them from every angle such as those that are going around now .
    We are all redneck gun freaks on the verge of going on a rampage as far as most of the public are concerned . Just look at all the fuss over gun shops opening or even just signage , firearms advertising , even transport of firearms by courier ....
    Removing firearms based sports from major competition events and so on....
    And now with the push towards veganism ....
    No need for a rifle to hunt cabbage and carrots....
    Yeah but your still gonna need a 7-08 to hunt Tofu

Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    Yeah but your still gonna need a 7-08 to hunt Tofu
    If you cant kill Tofu with a 222 then you have no business hunting........
    Steve123, Phil_H and mimms2 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    You do realize they didn't get a database hacked?