Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree297Likes

Thread: Police pushing firearms safety in mass media

There currently another massive cyber hack taking place in the U.S.A.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    didnt mention facebook,twitter,snapchats etc...anyone who knows or recognises you on social media and ties that to hunting/shooting has fair idea you will have firearms....the local butcher employs folks......the list of possibilities is endless...far better to have things as secure as you can,than to hope no body knows you have them.
    Ok, Ok , I get it Micky Duck
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Patience Is A Virtue

Quote Originally Posted by vulcannz View Post
    You do realize they didn't get a database hacked?
    Well, call it what you wish: The dark net now has long lists of Waikato DHB patients' details out there for purchase. Last name, first name, DOB, email address, cell ph number, NOK details. mothers maiden name, the list goes on. Enough for someone to steal your ID. That's data, private individuals data meant to be kept totally secure to unauthorised viewing, and its now being flogged off on the dark web. That's a hack to me. Proper namer may be a Ransom ware attack, but its ended up with data being hacked.

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Jusepy View Post
    Ok, Ok , I get it Micky Duck
    your boss some of his mates your mrs some of her mates then some of their mates all the guys at the gun club plus any visitors etc
    Micky Duck and Jusepy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    Nope, but if removing the fuel or house contents was as quick as easy as removing my rifle bolt I might. It's just an easy extra precaution, and I would get some small satisfaction if any rifles stolen were unusable.
    My car has an alarm and immobiliser, and the house a monitored alarm, and I use them in addition to locking the doors - call me crazy if you wish!
    Remember when we'd take the rotor out of the distributor when we left the car at a road end ? Not many people did. Too easy to lose it in the bush Those were the days.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    If someone really wants them they will get them, no matter what you do.
    This is what happened at Waikato Hospital.

BUT, there is no need to make it easy for them. That's why we don't advertise our firearms to people who don't need to know about them. Family, butchers, hunting shops, clubs, you can't really get by without letting them know. But with neighbors, online forums, workmates, randoms who might overhear you in public, you can be discreet. No secretive, just discreet.

Changing topic to a proposed firearms registry: if it's going to be accessible real time, while police are on their way to an incident, then security will have to be minimal. It won't be air gapped or need multiple people to authorise. And you can be sure it will be a high value target for people who really want to get in.
    Micky Duck likes this.

northdude
    I wonder how many people on a hunting and shooting forum have firearms...

Police pushing firearms safety in mass media

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    I wonder how many people on a hunting and shooting forum have firearms...
    None of us. Just hear for the politics n off topic section. Guns…what guns..????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve123, Phil_H and Jusepy like this.

Is a gun registry going to work is t he first question we should be asking, the pistol registry is a example, only 80% accurate some sources say, mainly down to understaffing, not enough time to enter the data, with the new licenses there is a bar code, but no system to link it to, and no plans to have one for another couple of years at the minimum. Take the new ammunition and gun parts recording system ? A folder with over 50 sheets of paper in 2 weeks, which must be kept for 10 yrs, who is going to look through them and why would you. Who has ever had there gun registry book looked at , apart from a a quick glance when redoing the dealers license. A registry will only serve the purpose of knowing when the gun was stolen and who from if used in a crime.
    so Will it work ? No

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    Black Powder cannons don't need a licence if I'm right...reload times are a bit of an issue, but grape shot should sort that (joke! wokes)
    Store the cannon balls separately soldier! Don't forget to put a trigger lock on the fuse hole! Lest some victim-crim holds up a dairy with it
    257weatherby, Steve123 and Dago like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jusepy View Post
    question:
    how did they know u had firearms?

Loosely related but in today’s ODT on page 3 there’s an article about a guy having his four firearms and ammo (and his cannabis!) seized by police apparently after ‘a member of public tipped off police’ that the guy had unsecured firearms.
    Reading between the lines it appears the firearms could be seen through a window.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

northdude
    Rule no 1 dont be a dick
    Steve123 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    Well, call it what you wish: The dark net now has long lists of Waikato DHB patients' details out there for purchase. Last name, first name, DOB, email address, cell ph number, NOK details. mothers maiden name, the list goes on. Enough for someone to steal your ID. That's data, private individuals data meant to be kept totally secure to unauthorised viewing, and its now being flogged off on the dark web. That's a hack to me. Proper namer may be a Ransom ware attack, but its ended up with data being hacked.
    The data was stolen. Not hacked. By the sound of it starting with a phishing email (where someone clicked on a link which resulted in the ransomware being installed). Still I do agree with you, Police do not have a great record of securing their IT Systems. They are typically underfunded, so are usually built by the cheapest bidder.

that was WAAAAAAYYYY BACK in days when tied to government......most would have seen Robin Hood Prince of Theives...... hasnt been the case for MANY MANY years.

I , used to be, an active member in the Labour Party.
    The irrational fear of guns and prejudice against owners of them is incredible.

This small minority of politically influential people will never be happy until the ownership and use of firearms is illegal.

They mostly saw Tarrant's crime as their opportunity to pursue their prejudiced agenda and acted as quickly as possible to9 exploit the public shock and grief to change the rules.

When the people in the government are running ads like this in mainstream media it is always part of a marketing and propaganda campaign to justify the introduction of more regulations, control and taxes.

Our main political parties have been taken over by the "woke" busybodies because the rest of us would not become involved.

Compliance with the licensing system has been made more and more offensive and difficult to discourage people from renewing the licenses.

The regulations will be made more and more restrictive, difficult and expensive to comply with to coerce more people into not owning firearms.

The propaganda will promote more fear and distrust of anyone that approve of firearms or having them.

Civil "rights", privacy, freedom, equality and freedom are not taken suddenly and by force.
    They are stolen from us ("for our own good") little by little so that we will accept their loss without rebellion until one-day we have none left.

People see their liberty being stolen from this and tend to say "it could be worse".

They should say "IT WILL BE WORSE, UNLESS I DO SOMETHING TO STOP IT".

The only only way to stop this increasing erosion of our privacy, independence and freedom is to join the main political parties and confront the "woke" busybodies face to face at the local electorate meetings.

No violence or criminal behaviour required. Just participation in the system we call democracy before that is gone as well.
    Walker, BSA, Steve123 and 4 others like this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Thanks for posting that.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms