Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Rules for a strong room (NOT for endorsed weapons)??

Steel 3 drawer filing cabinet fixed to wall and locked , cheap as .If your lucky like me I got a 4 drawer fire rated unit with high security lock for 50 bucks only hassle was it weighted 250 kgs so a mission to shift , 2 x 3 drawer units with a solid core door on to makes a great reloading bench .
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kukuwai View Post
    No I dont think that is the case.

Take a vehicle for instance, a locked ammo box does not have to be secured to the vehicle.

Also your locked ammo box would be inside a safe so thats even more secure than ammo would be in the average persons ammo safe.

Pretty sure it is KEY to not over complicate things !!!!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Nah, instead they've got a wishy washy statement about locking ammo in the glovebox, if possible.
    What vehicles these days have locking gloveboxes and even back in the days when they did a screwdriver would easily force them open.

And at home, I cannot understand why your ammo box isn't required to be secured somehow.
    Until recently I had my ammo in a 50 cal ammo can with padlock. It was stored under my reloading desk. How bloody ridulous is that? A nice folding handle to assist the thief pick it up and carry it away.

I have since bought a Spika ammo box/safe which is secured in the same manner as my safe.
    I'm happy.
    kukuwai likes this.

Always best to talk with your local arms officer, getting them on on side does you no harm. A whole lot better than asking a lot of well meaning but unqualified “experts” on here
    300wsm for life likes this.

Do NOT remove your bolts and magazines when your firearm is in approved secure storage (such measures are only required with 'restricted weapons' and 'prohibited firearms'). Your strongroom sounds as though it would meet lawful requirements for a 'stout room' at the very least and would be perfectly lawful to display your firearms on the wall. There is no legal requirement to remove bolts and magazines in secure storage, however ammunition must be stored in a locked container. It can be in the same room. As previously suggested, an old filing cabinet with lockable drawers is ideal. Removing bolts and mags just complicates things if you pop off before you are ready. Families trying to sort things out afterwards often have no idea what goes where, and guns get sold for a fraction of their value because parts are missing. Arms Officers are renowned for giving 'official advice' that is not required by law.

weird as storing the 3 bits seperately has been the done thing for close to 40 years....well at least 35 since I got my first licence..about the same time as cabinets came in....
    we as family changed habits after cousin shot sibling with "safely stored" firearm while parents were next door..the gun in corner of kitchen with shells on bench for possums or cats (lived on farm out in country) changed for us from that day onwards..the whole mindset changed.... make it as hard as possible for child or chance burgler has been my mindset ever since.
    zimmer and Ranger 888 like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    weird as storing the 3 bits seperately has been the done thing for close to 40 years....well at least 35 since I got my first licence..about the same time as cabinets came in.....
    Compulsory removal of bolts and magazines for normal sporting firearms when in proper storage has never been a requirement of NZ arms law. It may well have been a 'requirement' of various Arms Officers but it was never a legal requirement. I spent a large part of my working life trying to source missing bolts and magazines for people who followed imaginary 'rules'. It is important to always read and understand all pertinent legislation that relates to anything you want to do, rather than blindly following misguided instructions from government minions.

This is the best idea yet!

Quote Originally Posted by m101a1 View Post
    Steel 3 drawer filing cabinet fixed to wall and locked , cheap as .If your lucky like me I got a 4 drawer fire rated unit with high security lock for 50 bucks only hassle was it weighted 250 kgs so a mission to shift , 2 x 3 drawer units with a solid core door on to makes a great reloading bench .

Quote Originally Posted by floatingkiwi View Post
    This is the best idea yet!
    Thank you

My understanding is that if a deer is wandering across your garden, if you can get access to your loaded firearms fast enough to shoot it before it disappears then the security is inadequate
    zimmer, Micky Duck and Ranger 888 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SixtyTen View Post
    I believe this only applies above a certain weight and that limit is somewhere around 4-5kg.
    I could be wrong, its a long time since I looked it up.
    No weight limit to class 1 unfortunately. The 5Kg concom (or consumer commodity) limit only applies to the other classes of DG's. All except radioactive to be fair - you only need a tiny amount of the right bit of that to create drama same as Class 1!

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    Compulsory removal of bolts and magazines for normal sporting firearms when in proper storage has never been a requirement of NZ arms law. It may well have been a 'requirement' of various Arms Officers but it was never a legal requirement. I spent a large part of my working life trying to source missing bolts and magazines for people who followed imaginary 'rules'. It is important to always read and understand all pertinent legislation that relates to anything you want to do, rather than blindly following misguided instructions from government minions.
    and here speaketh the voice of commonsense and experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Waimata View Post
    My understanding is that if a deer is wandering across your garden, if you can get access to your loaded firearms fast enough to shoot it before it disappears then the security is inadequate
    ...I have a VERY wide garden