Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Shooting Possums in trees

Once you have it lit up in the tree its not usually going anywhere so just move around the tree till its your backstop or your shooting in a direction you feel is safe, also if its not a huge farm stick to the 22 over a shotty unless you know the farmer well otherwise hell think your a dickhead for blasting away all night especially if they have to get up and milk.
    Nibblet likes this.

Ejected
    These must be big fucking possums to need a 223.

Must be a relative to those dangerous drop bears
    Bryan likes this.

chop the tree down - problem solved

223 is an overkill unless you are shooting across a gulley etc into a hillside

I shot a possum on the ground with a 308 tracer once

lI have this bucketlist wish to line a big snarling horny jacko up with a 3"no 3steel in the 12G shottie and do a clint eastwood number on the aussie bastard!I kill em on sight -no bloody excuses.

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    lI have this bucketlist wish to line a big snarling horny jacko up with a 3"no 3steel in the 12G shottie and do a clint eastwood number on the aussie bastard!I kill em on sight -no bloody excuses.
    Er, ah, um, yes Kotukahz, quite right, only natural.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

Used to bomb possums on my 10 acres yrs ago with a Baikel OU in on hand and the spotlight in the other, big old daddy pines but in a single row, shotgun was the safest!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

I shoot my flock of possums with my detuned target spring powered airgun. When the .177 pellet runs out of motor heading straight up - it reaches a very low return speed. Using a .22 pellet of say 21gn will bring out your neighbour when it hits His guttering!!! My mate found out the hard way

Besides - possums are assholes. They're only worth .5c to get rid of - and a well placed airgun slug can be more effective on a possum head than a through and through .22lr hit.
    Seen it hundreds of times over

If you had access to a property where you could shoot a possum safely with a 223 then it would be cool to see the results

Ken
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

Keep safe in the hills! Gunzrrr's Avatar
    In my opinion, shooting possums in a tree with a .223 is a BIG NO NO!!!!! Too much can go wrong very quickly. I shoot possums at night in trees with my 22lr subsonic and I know the farms well and I'm around 2-3 km's away from the road/house. I always angle the shot to have the trunk and other trees in the immediate background but there is still risk. Even .22lr subs make me nervous about the safety factor. Check out my posting on .22lr ricochets. As for .223? ... that's just downright dangerous. I haven't read it lately - but the law uses words like 'dangerous use of a firearm' which carry ~$3000 fine and/or 2-3 years in jail ... regardless of calibre ... you don't want to go there! Get a subsonic .22lr .. and still think safe. I have to say that night shooting with .22lr subs has made me really aware of ballistics and I love the challenge. I'm getting head shots at 80 yards.
    Keep the .223 for the bunnies in the next valley or the goats in the gorge. Keep safe in the hills !!! Cheers Gunzrrr
    Maca49 and sparky1000 like this.

22 thru the right eye instant kill, subsonic out to 80/90yards if sighted in at 15yards. 223 is massive overkill and downright dangerous.
    Gunzrrr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    If you had access to a property where you could shoot a possum safely with a 223 then it would be cool to see the results

Ken
    FMJ does fuck all to them. Ballistic tip 50gr AE could create some fairly large holes.

Not that it really matters as it isn't worth the risk, but how much damage would a projectile on its way "back down" do? I mean you're probably going to be shooting almost straight up, so wouldn't it more than likely only be traveling at terminal velocity when it came back down?

Again...would never do it if not confident of backstop, but am curious.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    From what I can remember from my high school physics lessons (which I did not pay all that much attention to) you are correct about a bullet shot vertically into the air falling at terminal velocity.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Normally Auckland for work, temporarily deployed to UK, St Arnaud on leave
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    From what I can remember from my high school physics lessons (which I did not pay all that much attention to) you are correct about a bullet shot vertically into the air falling at terminal velocity.

Celebratory gunfire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia you're right and it seems to happen a bit

Holy shit!

*study by the U.S.*Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
    *(CDC) found that 80% of celebratory gunfire-related injuries are to the head, feet, and shoulders.[4]
    *InPuerto Rico
    , about two people die and about 25 more are injured each year from celebratory gunfire on New Year's Eve, the CDC says.[5]
    *Between the years 1985 and 1992, doctors at the*King/Drew Medical Center
    *in*Los Angeles, California
    , treated some 118 people for random falling-bullet injuries. Thirty-eight of them died.[6]
    Kuwaitis
    *celebrating in 1991 at the end of the*Gulf War
    *by firing weapons into the air caused 20 deaths from falling bullets.[6]
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.