Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Shooting Possums in trees

Vertically fired rifle bullets come back down backwards and still spinning. Angled bullets are likely to come down nose first unless very steeply angled. Shotgun pellets are way safer. I was hit in the neck by a shotgun pellet that was fired 'over the horizon' at a pigeon. It went through the pigeon, struck a bone and took a chip of the bone out the pigeon with it still attached, and struck me on the neck. The pellet and bone fragment stuck to my neck where it hit. It did sting. The bone fragment wasn't much bigger than the pellet (no. 7) but the pellet was lodged inside it. Distance was well over 100m.

9mm works great, but ya can't go past a 410 shotty for possums

I use a shotgun 99% of the time but if you do need to use something bigger it can be done but be fuckin careful I've used 223 and larger a few times but was bloody careful when where and how

22's are bloody dangerous as a lot of guys don't realize just how far they go

shotgun is the safest bird shot will only go anywhere between 300m-600m depending on the load used and falling birdshot although it is un comfortable it is not fatal to farm animals etc 22lr will go 3x that if fired on the right angle

I've had falling shotgun pellets all around me. They're just falling pellets. Not the same as being caught in the trajectory though! My problem with a shotgun is how one caries 100 shotshells around? Then there is the noise. So one day I bought a single shot shotty with the idea of suppressing it. That would mean loading subsonic rounds. Reloading shotshells? Well yes, I have a Lee shot shell loader already. A suppressed shotgun is going to be a bit longer than a 22 but won't be too bad. I'm figuring on fitting a scope to it just to actually see and identify the target. Thinking of that, I once saw an owl where a possum might be expected to be but I new about owls and their eyes are slightly different to possums eyes but in the trees one could shoot an owl by mistake!
    ''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

You can use RWS 34 because you need power at distance and shot placement. If you shot in heart or lung, you will definitely kill them. But before hunting you should do little practice.

SiB
    I will confess years ago I put a .22 mag up the ring-gear of a treed possum only 4m above me. Fun part was the shot went clean through the animal, and cleanly cut through the power line to our farm and several other properties..... Shottie is good.
    rs200nz likes this.

I've used a .223 on the tree bears many times, all long range (up to 170m) on the ground shots, during the times you catch them on the ground just on dusk or after dark.
    Would have been out of range for the .22 or shottie.

Very dead possum, not as much fur recoverable as with a .22.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead is better View Post
    I shoot my flock of possums with my detuned target spring powered airgun. When the .177 pellet runs out of motor heading straight up - it reaches a very low return speed. Using a .22 pellet of say 21gn will bring out your neighbour when it hits His guttering!!! My mate found out the hard way

Besides - possums are assholes. They're only worth .5c to get rid of - and a well placed airgun slug can be more effective on a possum head than a through and through .22lr hit.
    Seen it hundreds of times over
    I've HS'ed a possum twice with a .177 1000+ fps pellet, and it was still floppin around. Ended up having to give it the old 1-2 with a rock to finish it off. Gimme a .22 anyday. Its not like you have to rush when taking the shot so just pick your angle right and you will be sweet

possum in trees = 12g, no woundies or second shots.
    DAC and big_foot like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

I've used a .22 air rifle on possums, mainly shot em between the eyes. Dead as a dodo.

Lately magpies have been teasing me when I have my 17hmr, in places where if I missed the bullet would go miles. I haven't risked it.
    I like to take shots at animals in trees where there is the trunk or a crap tonne of branches behind them. That way of I do miss I can be certain the bullet wont go off in the distance.

Hi,i do most of my shooting possie close t farm buildings,either 410 or 44mag with shotshells,the 44mag only tickles them and usually they fall on the dog when they let go then its the boot

Jeez, that sounds bloody awful. A possum is after all a living,feeling animal and as such it should be afforded a humane death, if you must kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by rs200nz View Post
    What are the rules on shooting possums in trees?. I know you need to check your back stop etc but seriously how does one check their back stop if you are shooting a possum in a tree. If you were to miss the tree that bullet depending on caliber could travel for miles... I was hoping to do some possum shooting with my .223 but worried I would miss some shots and my bullet could go anywhere. Any help here? Is tree shooting only restricted to .22?
    .223 too big...22 cool...I have shot literally hundreds of them; if you miss a possum in a tree you should think about doing something else with the night...
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Quote Originally Posted by rs200nz View Post
    What are the rules on shooting possums in trees?. I know you need to check your back stop etc but seriously how does one check their back stop if you are shooting a possum in a tree. If you were to miss the tree that bullet depending on caliber could travel for miles... I was hoping to do some possum shooting with my .223 but worried I would miss some shots and my bullet could go anywhere. Any help here? Is tree shooting only restricted to .22?
    My take would be not safe to do even a .22LR as it is above the skyline and you cannot make sure the fall zone is safe and clear.....ergo, shotgun.

regards
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    possum in trees = 12g, no woundies or second shots.
    +1
    heinnz likes this.