Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Shooting rules for near a public road

I gather the rule must have changed, I'd put my gun on the fact it used to, in my day, be i chain (22 yards) off a road.
    More vague better to be told by policemen their interpretation of what they think the law is.
    Our Winter Compak is right beside the road in Waikuku (North Canty) and we've had police cars, family's, kids all watching us and funny no complaints or negative comments.
    Remember shooting it is a totally legitimate sport, you are doing nothing wrong unless your being a dick, and are entitled to be their with the landowners permission alone. Not in a built up area though!!!
    Savage1 and screamO like this.

Just use common sense, it sounds like a perfectly reasonable place to be shooting clays.

I've said before on some other thread, people over complicate simple law. All prosecutions I've known of for this offence has been where the guy was acting like a comple idiot and committing other offences at the same time.

Do you really think they would send the AOS out to a guy trap shooting where the closest house was 700m away?!

[QUOTE=Savage1;348436]Just use common sense, it sounds like a perfectly reasonable place to be shooting clays.

I've said before on some other thread, people over complicate simple law. All prosecutions I've known of for this offence has been where the guy was acting like a comple idiot and committing other offences at the same time.

Do you really think they would send the AOS out to a guy trap shooting where the closest house was 700m away?![/QUOTE]

Depends what the called said.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    Just use common sense, it sounds like a perfectly reasonable place to be shooting clays.

Do you really think they would send the AOS out to a guy trap shooting where the closest house was 700m away?!
    I would like to think not but you never know.
    I would also like to think if your shooting near the road it should be easy to know (if they can see) that you are shooting clay's or targets and there for no one should be reporting you.

Quote Originally Posted by screamO View Post
    I would like to think not but you never know.
    I would also like to think if your shooting near the road it should be easy to know (if they can see) that you are shooting clay's or targets and there for no one should be reporting you.
    Non gun users don't care what you're doing with a gun. They're just assume you want to hurt someone.

Savage I would love to agree with you, but again, if someone calls saying there's a gun going off and them and their children are scared or annoyed or whatever, the police have no choice but to have an armed response, as you have to treat all firearms related incidents seriously, correct or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Jexla View Post
    Non gun users don't care what you're doing with a gun. They're just assume you want to hurt someone.

Savage I would love to agree with you, but again, if someone calls saying there's a gun going off and them and their children are scared or annoyed or whatever, the police have no choice but to have an armed response, as you have to treat all firearms related incidents seriously, correct or not?
    Not all 'non-gun users' assume people with guns want to hurt someone. Stop with the broad sweeping statements that are completely unfounded, it's just your paranoid opinion.

No it doesn't always trigger an armed response, the circumstances around it are looked into. The AOS isn't mobilised to every incident involving a firearm and general duties only arm themselves when they believe there is a threat to them or others. So no, you are not correct.

Most of these kinds of jobs are fixed with a simple phone call or two.
    7mmsaum, mikee and res like this.

Theres another thread on here that outlines how this kind of thing can go all wrong. I suspect not all the facts have been reported but I have been following it with interest.

SiB
    Communication with local constabulary is the key point. Id visit, rather than ring. Face to face is worth gold. Cops respect the trouble you've taken too.

On a side note some years ago some kids shot at my house with a paint ball gun. I rang the local cops not to dob them in, but to let the police know in case they did recieve a panic call from some old dear down the street who'd also had her house shot perchance. All good.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    Not all 'non-gun users' assume people with guns want to hurt someone. Stop with the broad sweeping statements that are completely unfounded, it's just your paranoid opinion.

No it doesn't always trigger an armed response, the circumstances around it are looked into. The AOS isn't mobilised to every incident involving a firearm and general duties only arm themselves when they believe there is a threat to them or others. So no, you are not correct.

Most of these kinds of jobs are fixed with a simple phone call or two.
    Never said anything about AOS.
    Sorry Savage, but we've all seen on TV even, that the police go to their meeting point and grab their guns to anything firearm related.
    One example I remember, they were going to see some guy who got into some altercation with his family and reportedly owned an airsoft gun.
    They armed up turned up and the guy was as calm as could be and they wanted to know where his airsoft gun was, which was sitting away in his car.
    This is just one example I can think of.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Never said anything about AOS.
    Sorry Savage, but we've all seen on TV even, that the police go to their meeting point and grab their guns to anything firearm related.
    One example I remember, they were going to see some guy who got into some altercation with his family and reportedly owned an airsoft gun.
    They armed up turned up and the guy was as calm as could be and they wanted to know where his airsoft gun was, which was sitting away in his car.
    This is just one example I can think of.
    Your rebuttal begins with "we've all seen on TV"?
    You're really going to roll with that?
    Savage1, ebf, Pengy and 2 others like this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Yes, I'm talking about the police shows, not CSI Hawkes Bay m8

Yes, I'm talking about the police shows, not CSI Hawkes Bay m8
    Do you really watch that crap?

Honestly, I barely ever watch TV, I download what I want to watch and do so when I please. But sometimes I just watch shit because someone I want to talk to is watching it.
    Anyway, you may call it crap but it is quite literally Savage's job.
    So, not sure why you call it crap when it's real as real can be...

Honestly, I barely ever watch TV, I download what I want to watch and do so when I please. But sometimes I just watch shit because someone I want to talk to is watching it.
    Anyway, you may call it crap but it is quite literally Savage's job.
    So, not sure why you call it crap when it's real as real can be...
    Hawaii 5.0 is much better. Savage is cool, he always has good points to make. I hope you dont illegally download? What channel is CSI Hawkes Bay on?
    Last edited by Frosty; 22-03-2015 at 11:42 AM.

Of course I "illegally download". CSI Hawkes Bay is actually made up.