Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Lost Dog - Waipakihi Valley

Lost Dog - Waipakihi Valley

I'm sad to say I lost my dog today in the Waipakihi today. He is a black pointer called Trigger. I took at shot at a stag early in the morning near the river and he took off after it, ripping the lead rope out of my hands. He was chasing it and barking all the way to the top of the range. This was before 8am and I waited all day before with a heavy heart I had to leave. If anyone sees him can you please grab him as he is friendly and give me a call? Scott - 0272706010.
    I'm just worried he got his rope tangled and is stuck somewhere as I would have thought he would come back to me. We were about an hour and a quarter up the valley.

Caretaker
    Best thing to do would be to go back for him
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Hard luck mate, hope you get him back.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Best thing to do would be to go back for him
    Yes was thinking that. Its just bad bloody timing. We move house in 2 days and there is a heap of stuff to do/pack etc. Might just have to go up at night with the spotlight and look for him.
    P38 and 7mmsaum like this.

Did u leave your coat at the last spot u saw him? Have heard works well in some cases

Mate I know exactly how you feel, lost my dog the other week after shooting a deer. Thought it knew better and didnt follow me down a rough bit. Lost it at 10 in the morning and luckly after 6hrs I found her again. Not a good feeling at all. Went out and brought a tracking collar the next day. The best thing to do is go back tomorrow morning and re trace your steps. Best of luck.

What side and how far up the river.

Yea bro go back and have a look. In the evening if you whistle him up dog might howl out. Definitely leave something with yr sweat on it for him to find if he's about. They generally park up on it.
    Spent a lot of time in my younger years waiting looking for deer hauling pig dogs. Stressful. No social media back then. I'd post on local Facebook pages so locals keep an eye out.
    Hope the rope had no knots in it, if dog gets hooked up will likely chomp through it.

Quote Originally Posted by PillowDribbler View Post
    What side and how far up the river.
    On the true right about an hour and a quater up. I never knew about the coat thing. But will head up tomorrow arvo to try again. hopefully he found one of the camps of the other hunters that are up there.

Any luck mate?

Quote Originally Posted by mcche171 View Post
    Any luck mate?
    SUCCESS!! I have just got back and we have him back. I had just got the the beginning of the river to go and look for him when some young hunters turned up with him. I had told them about my dog on my way out yesterday. They just came across him by chance while hunting. He was tangled up with his rope. So if they hadn't come across him he would have died of starvation I'd say. He doesn't know how lucky he is!!!
    hillclima, puku, Wildman and 17 others like this.

Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Kudu View Post
    SUCCESS!! I have just got back and we have him back. I had just got the the beginning of the river to go and look for him when some young hunters turned up with him. I had told them about my dog on my way out yesterday. They just came across him by chance while hunting. He was tangled up with his rope. So if they hadn't come across him he would have died of starvation I'd say. He doesn't know how lucky he is!!!
    Gps collar...

P38

Glad to hear your dogs safe.

Those boy need a DB .... or three, that's for sure.

Cheers
    Pete
    Ruff, Munsey, 6mm ackley and 1 others like this.

Caretaker

That's such good news Scott, one lucky dog !!!
    kiwijames likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time