Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Lost Dog - Waipakihi Valley

Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    Glad to hear your dogs safe.

Those boy need a DB .... or three, that's for sure.

Cheers
    Pete
    Totally agree. I have their number.
    Carpe Diem likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
    Gps collar...
    I use on one my Pointer more so If he does bugger off or not come back I can find him. I set mine to low update rate. I figure its cheap insurance for my best mate(s)

Also I never use a lead in the bush for the very reason you mentioned, getting tangled up
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Good shit.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    I use on one my Pointer more so If he does bugger off or not come back I can find him. I set mine to low update rate. I figure its cheap insurance for my best mate(s)

Also I never use a lead in the bush for the very reason you mentioned, getting tangled up
    I am not an expert with dogs, but in a recent article about training them I read that you keep a length of rope attached to them so when they get to far ahead you just stand on it so they eventually learn the distance they should stay at....seems a dumb idea now!
    Pointer likes this.

Phew. Lucky dog.
    As a trailing lead I use paracord. No knots or loop on the end. Can still get caught in rocks and things so still need to be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kudu View Post
    I am not an expert with dogs, but in a recent article about training them I read that you keep a length of rope attached to them so when they get to far ahead you just stand on it so they eventually learn the distance they should stay at....seems a dumb idea now!

That's ok for open flat country. But in the the thick, steep stuff that's the last thing your trying to do. If you can borrow an e collar off of some one you will soon cure him of the running in. The best thing about them is the dog dose not know that it is you punishing him.
    Just hold the collar first before trying it on him you only need to tickle him with the shock. Not have it belt him full noise. The trouble with this running in thing is that you need to get him as he's doing it. It's no use punishing him when he comes back, because the dog then thinks, "hey I won't come back because I only get punished". They can't relate to it unless you get them in the act.
    The E collar also would help in stopping the head long rush of yee har lets get him!!!
    The more expensive models even come with gps I think.

Now I do know it's not every ones cup of tea but that's why I said test it on your self first:

Great news that you got him back.
    Last edited by Sideshow; 20-04-2016 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Phew. Lucky dog.
    As a trailing lead I use paracord. No knots or loop on the end. Can still get caught in rocks and things so still need to be careful.
    That's exactly what I had. Not to thick stuff and no knots, loops etc. Still didn't help though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    That's ok for open flat country. But in the the thick, steep stuff that's the last thing your trying to do. If you can borrow an e collar off of some one you will soon cure him of the running in. The best thing about them is the dog dose not know that it is you punishing him.
    Great news that you got him back.
    The bloody article didn't say that...lol.

And yes I will be tracking down an E collar very soonish!!

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    I always hunted my dogs with no collars on in the days before trackers. Used to use the towel from the dog box to leave behind when one didn't turn up by home time. Most times they would be on it the next day,or soon after. One of my mates dogs didn't turn up years ago, presumed stolen, and another one turned up 2months later in the same spot. Must of been eating possums. Another time we got back just in time to see some prick drive away with one of the mutts on the back of his ute, got the dog back and one guy learnt not to pick up stray dogs again.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

It is difficult to win an argument with an intelligent person! It is near impossible with a stupid person!
    Rebelwood Gundog Training

Pleased to hear Kudu