Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Jackangus
  • 2 Post By ebf

Thread: Savage 12 F-TR 308 rifle.

Savage 12 F-TR 308 rifle.

I am very close to ordering my first rifle for target shooting F-TR. I want a rifle that will shoot well up too 1000m.
    The savage 12 F/TR 308 rifle is the one I am leaning towards.
    Do you guys who have experience with this discipline think this would be a competitive rifle?

I know there is heaps more that will make you shoot well in this discipline, like scope, ammo, the user, etc.
    But all that aside, as far as the rifle goes would this be a good rifle for competing?

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/12FTR

Cheers guys.

From what I understand, the savage team does very well in the states in F class with what are basically standard savage rifles.

ebf
    Yup, good choice. Very stiff action, clever design, easy to re barrel.

I really like savage actions, and have played with the 6.5-284 F-Class version of that rifle. The accutrigger is not everyone's cup of tea, but it is easy to get used to and I actually like the pickup on the blade.

If I had to replace my Omark action with something else, I would be getting a Savage target action.

Barnard is still the top end, but realistically you are looking at close to 2k for just the action...

If you decide to shoot TR rather than FTR, you'd probably have to look at a stock more suited to shooting with a jacket and sling, but there are lots of old clubs stocks around, and bedding is simple.

If the shop has to order one, consider getting the PALMA model, I think that stock is more flexible option. The PALMA caliber is just 308 with a small rifle primer.
    Last edited by ebf; 14-11-2014 at 09:19 PM.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

How much NZD?

I looked at the Savage Palma and this hard but they are around or were $3kNZD, over-priced in NZ IMHO. My personal view is unless you are strapped for cash I wouldnt buy one (I didnt). I would look at a Barnard P action at $1600 new (comes with a trigger I think), a new krieger barrel at about $1k (or good second hand at about $500ish) and a second hand stock suiting a P action for a few Hundred and get a new stock later, it should be about the same $s and be a far better platform for you. I would also tend to buy a Krieger barrel for this sport as a first choice and not a NZ made one.

A new P action and a good stock should last you 20+ years with ease and be right up there in competitive terms for that time period. A Krieger SS 30~32inch barrel 4 seasons, though that depends on how sensible you are on loads, it could be longer.

regards
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    8><---- The PALMA caliber is just 308 with a small rifle primer.
    I think its some few $100s more for the Palma.

Last year I was quoted about $1600 for a P action, if its gone up that much, ouch....

The 308 small rifle primer has issues around temperature so the flame may well be more even and hence give a slightly better accuracy but in colder days can lead to ignition problems. So suited to USA summers yes, NZ? not so sure, YMMV as they say.

I would certianly use Lapua competition brass, its just beautiful in either primer.

regards

I have called around and there is no Savage 12 F-TR in NZ at the moment.
    Would be looking at a minimum of a 6 month wait.
    Not really sure I can handle a 6 to 12 month wait for my first Rifle.

What a pain in the arse.
    Last edited by Jackangus; 14-11-2014 at 10:27 PM.
    ebf likes this.

I found the same thing, it was a nail in the coffin. Might as well save for taht 6 months and get a Barnard action'd gun. Reloaders seem to have sold their Palma finally, no idea how many years it sat on their shelf.

regards

What do you guys think of this?

Custom 284 Shehane | Trade Me

ebf
    That would put you into F-open.

Kiss you bank balance goodbye

If you want to get into NRA scope shooting, I really suggest sticking with FTR for a couple of seasons. You will learn more about reading wind. If you want to do FTR and spend big bucks, it is very possible. Berger 185 Hybrids are $1 a pop... But it also possible to be fairly competitive shooting 155gr projectiles you can buy from the NRA.

There are so many other bits and pieces you need : competition bipod, rear bag, spotting scope and/or binocs, competition entry fees, affiliation and club fees.... Don't be to eager to spend your money, rather make sure you know what side of the game you want to get into. If you just want to shoot, buy a reasonable 22 and practise out to 200m after you join Kaitoke Deerstalkers. Cheap ammo, and you'll learn just as much about reading wind and perfecting positional fundamentals.
    Savage1 and steven like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

FTR is a 308w, anything else is F-open and that is rocket science with a budget to match. For instance with a 308w, brass and barrel can last 4~5 years and 4000~5000 rounds. F-open a barrel 750~1000 rounds, brass as little as 2 or 3 loadings (though some 308w loons are overloading to this failure rate as well). So with both a barrel is about $1k a pop and 400 308w brass about $450. F-open can be 1~2barrels per year and 100 brass every month or two. 308w target projectiles are 45cents V F-open ones at ????

As per EBF, 22lr is just great, no recoil so no flinch develops and dirt cheap to shoot all day. Also small bore over the winter, it really is pedantic on position, trigger etc, well worth it for any shooter IMHO. If you have good eyes a Match54 at about $1k will do you well as a practice unit IMHO.