Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: edumacate me on the ute thing guys

edumacate me on the ute thing guys

Greeting fellow peeps, well I got a call from the guy who was gonna do the head gasket etc... on my van and the head is poked, he reckons about 2.5K for the head and a whole bunch of other spendys which might push the bill ( with new injectors etc..) to 6 or 7K and I will still have an old van. So, I have decided to put my money toward a newish ute instead. I want an extra cab instead of a double since I don't have enough friends to take up 4 seats and I like a bigger tray.
    This one has a shitton of kms on it but otherwise what are your thoughts ?
    https://www.toyota.co.nz/used-vehicles/Detail/2448153

I am looking to spend about 50K and it must be 4X4, and have a canopy

Kind of like a "which caliber" thread

Cheers guys

After 2015 they get abit electriery with sensors etc . I run a 18 ford , been okay but expensive to service and like all of the 2012 onward need a shit ton spent eg wheels bumpers lifts etc to make them half capable the yota will be well serviced and you will have cash left for heads tyres etc
    rugerman likes this.

Best thing I can suggest - is drive a few of them. Example, I don't like the newer Toyota's - the cab is tiny and I feel really cramped in them after the Ranger's and BT50 sized cabs. The PX2 Ranger has a noticeably offset to the left steering wheel - took a bit to get used to it but once you do it doesn't bother you again. The back seat is a bit crap and upright in the Ranger/BT50's - but as you indicate the double cab doesn't excite anyway. I do like the newer Mitsi's as they seem a little more 'car-like' than the more truckey ute offerings, although a lot of them nowadays are specc'd for soccermom and urban pete princesses and if you put anything more than a handbag or an e-bike in the tray you fold the leaf springs inside out and the ute looks and drives like a dog with worms dragging it's arse on the carpet.

Now - after a van (and note this) you will likely really miss the side door access and general 'open-ness' of the rear of the van. What I will suggest is look at a ute tray drawer system like the Camco Rollerworx or similar, I think they are worth their weight in gold literally (they aren't light).

Advantages, ride comfort, safety, towing, load carrying, separated from the crap in the boot so it won't take you out in a crash, probably cheaper on fuel as they don't have the shape of a small windowless building etc etc
    rugerman and RV1 like this.

Don't overlook the Mitsubishi Triton, you get a lot of spec for the money, but yes try them out make a good test drive loop and put them through their paces. With Diesel being the same price as 91 and thats before RUCs, suddenly the big engine petrols don't seem so thirsty.
    Bryan, rugerman, Grey Kiwi and 1 others like this.

Cole
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/use...3836665605.htm

Bit older but would be a primo Ute.
    rugerman and csmiffy like this.

I’ve had Toyota and Nissan. Currently on Isuzu MU-X after trading D Max on it. Isuzu has been very good to date.
    stingray and Andygr like this.

Cheers guys food for thought
    lol yeah Mohawk, although those kind of numbers scare me into thinking it's about to cost a heap of money
    Although I see with that one it was 1 owner and regularly serviced at Palmy Toyota but that is quite a few kms on the running gear etc as well as the motor

@rugerman i was sort of in the same situation 6 months ago and only wanting to spend 45k. For the money you are spending and what you get for a second hand ute around that price range you are better off going new. The 2nd hand market is crazy.
    Buying new you get at least a 3 year warranty and i also locked in fixed price servicing for up to 150000km. which is not a silly thing with price increases and rates going up.
    My last ute i brought it had 6000km on it $44000 sold it with 1550000 km 6 years later for $37000. two years ago it was only worth $30000.
    rugerman likes this.

That one looks ok dvk but I see he's listed it as a 6 cylinder
    Arrrg decisions

Quote Originally Posted by dvk-kp View Post
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/use...3836665605.htm

Bit older but would be a primo Ute.

Brand new Mitsi Triton 4x4 are about 40K at present, some special runout deal.
    rugerman likes this.

Yeah I know what your saying BigBear, but I'm not sure I want to blow all my money on a new vehicle. I think Hiluxs are around 70K new ? but I did notice a brand new Havel for 50K but don't know much about them.
    I was planning on keeping a bit of money in the bank since with my new job I am only on 45K so not alot of discretionary pingers left

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    @rugerman i was sort of in the same situation 6 months ago and only wanting to spend 45k. For the money you are spending and what you get for a second hand ute around that price range you are better off going new. The 2nd hand market is crazy.
    Buying new you get at least a 3 year warranty and i also locked in fixed price servicing for up to 150000km. which is not a silly thing with price increases and rates going up.
    My last ute i brought it had 6000km on it $44000 sold it with 1550000 km 6 years later for $37000. two years ago it was only worth $30000.
    bigbear likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    Mitsi have one off the better warranties but there servicing cost is up there but what ever you like and can get
    rugerman likes this.

really ? shit I might look into that then. The last Mitsi I had was a Celeste

Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post

Just go for the 5 cylinders, mines just turned over 228000, in making my decision that extra cylinder sealed it!
    rugerman and stingray like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

LDVs are well priced. Not sure how they stack up reliability wise. Ive had a Foton for about 4 years. Goes all good. waay cheaper than a hilux or the other top brands.
    rugerman likes this.