Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: NEED NEW ALL TERRAIN TYRES

northdude
    on the budget end of the scale ive used nangkangs ats and had a really good run out of them justabout to put a new set on and im trying some federals

Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    You're right GM that underinflation can make the edges wear. It can also be an alignment issue and sometimes simply bad driving habits. I see a lot of it through work.
    Some tyres are more prone to wearing the shoulders though, due purely to design.
    Others wear edges because of the set up of the vehicle and the camber on NZ roads. ie an AWD Prado will wear LF outer edge faster than any other tyre on the vehicle.
    If we drove the same vehicle on the RH side, the predominant wear pattern would be on the outer of the RF wheel.

As VC said, buy the best you can afford, vtf.
    There are cheap budget type tyres that perform adequately, but then there are expensive tyres that do the same but last much longer.
    The AWD Hiace is pretty horrendous in the tyre wear on the front too, typically the outer edge of the left front. In that context of alignment/vehicle design then it will do the same with whatever tyre you put on. If both edges are worn on a tyre it indicates under inflation.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I'm going to check out Firestone and bridgestone they have a buy 3 get 1 free deal will check out the destinations

Quote Originally Posted by von tempsky fan View Post
    I checked some cooper's but they were 416 Inc gst each and mickey thompsons are around the 500 each mark I was after something a bit cheaper.
    where are you based chap?
    il do the cooper AT3 in a LT construction for $340 fitted

LF outter wear is generally caused by the camber of the road,large high speed roundabouts,U turns etc because of the weight transferring over onto that shoulder...that why tyre rotations are so important.around this neck of the woods people could get up to 10k less out of not rotating tyres halfway through...definatly worth it

I wanted the bfg all terrain for my jimny, but couldn't get them in quite the right size, so looked at the cooper STT I think it is, look like a good all round tyre but again the price was a bit steep so had a mate get me some maxxis mud tyres at a good price. Maxxis also make a good looking all terrain also. Have a look at what the aussies use, they too do a lot of miles over varying country. bridgestone/firestone are yet to pick up their 8 ball in this category in my opinion
    #BallisticFists

I got a good deal for some cooper at3 's so I will give them a go ,shit they have a good guarantee.Thanks for everyones help.

"Kumho 8><--- But their muddies have always been good. I used to use their tyres when competing in 4wd trials. "

I have their M/Ts and at around $1000 at the time they have lasted well and I cant tell them from the "better" tyres I had on ie no worse. My personal experience is buy lowest priced reasonable quality tyres I can and dont drive like a maniac. If in competition start by looking at what others who are winning are using and keep a set just for that.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Hey guys, next time you're looking for tyres, hit up TyreShopOnline - About Us.

Steve and Tracey run this NZ business, and have suppliers nationwide. They offer free postage for a full set of tyres, and arrange fitting at your local for ~$20 a corner. Got two new lots of tyres last month, they arrived and were fitted within 3 days of ordering them. The local Beaurepaires place (I priced some up through them for comparison---they were about $50 a tyre more expensive) had to order my size in anyway so was looking at a 2-3 day turnaround that way too!

I've bought about 6-7 sets of tyres thru Steve and Tracey and can't recommend them enough. Steve knows his tyres and will recommend what he thinks is best for your application.

At the moment I am running 33 inch Hercules DT's (mentioned by Cambo) on my Landcruiser, by Steve's recommendation. Hercules are made by Coopers, and offer similar design to Coopers more expensive tyres.

I was running MT's, but Steve reckoned for my use the DT's would last longer, and in the real dodgy/slippery stuff I normally throw on chains anyway. So far his recommendations have proven correct, the DT's are a very chunky all terrain tyre, are awesome on road and very reassuring off road. The pair I replaced last month due to blowing them out on a set of spiked harrows, were only a 3rd worn and had done nearly 30,000kms.

In my experience, if you are doing big kms on rough roads, and a lot of off road work you get very little benefit buying top shelf 4x4 tyres. Once they're 50% worn, they're stuffed. At ~40% worn I flick them on and replace them with new ones. I usually aim my replacements to be fitted coming into winter, that way I get full benefit of their grip. Stuff a couple of high end tyres and there's a thousand bucks down the gurgler.

50,000kms is the most I've got out of a set of tyres, with them still being useful, and they were Hercules MT's. I sold them for $120 each and that subsidised my new set.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

I looked at the Hercules DT they are $ 317 plus fitting , Im getting the cooper AT3 tomorrow for $330 fitted &balanced so not to much in it.

Fairly different tyres. You'll be happy with the AT3 if you spend most of your time on road.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Fairly different tyres. You'll be happy with the AT3 if you spend most of your time on road.
    Have you seen or used the at3 it's an all terrain tyre not a fucken
    HT tyre the Goodyear AT'S I had on are less aggressive .

Quote Originally Posted by von tempsky fan View Post
    Have you seen or used the at3 it's an all terrain tyre not a fucken
    HT tyre the Goodyear AT'S I had on are less aggressive .
    Geeez take a f'n chill pill, you asked for our opinion. You stated you wanted an AT for gravel roads and winding seal, you'll be happy with them.

And, yes I have, my latest Landcruiser came with a set on it. Pretty average in mud and clay.
    Munsey, mucko and mikee like this.

Jeues lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

TyreShopOnline - About Us

Quite a few of us from the other forum use these guys.

Have a close look at the Sivlerstones and you'll see that they are using the old BFG AT mold, I had them and they did 60,000 km.

I then got the Hercules DT, they were still going strong at 40,0000 km when I sold the truck.

The guys great to deal with and will send them anywhere in he country.

I've also had BGF ATs and they are great too.

I can't believe people buy tyres that do only 20,000km, no offence.
    JoshC likes this.