Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: sub gauge lead at ellesmere

Just another outdoors addict
    Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    After all look how they treated you! The scornm&odium doled out toward Neil Hayes is also bloody disgusting

a lot of people joined this forum because of this precise behaviour in alans fifedom.
    I am hearing you. Re Neil- what you are seeing there is an argument between the big players and the small players and has little to do with wildlife management. There is no reason or excuse why we have the lead rules we do. Neil has a long, real and selfless devotion to wildlife management which should be respected, even by those who do the big players bidding.

I am not worried about my treatment Kotuku. I take it as a compliment and we aren't going to dwell on it. There's a whole season to get through before other important matters.

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post

Im more intent on making this a cracker year, which our recce on sunday would tend to support.
    That's the story Kotuku. I hope you have a cracker of a season as well, just be careful- the hunting god hates over confidence!
    Last edited by Breda; 01-04-2015 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Allen View Post

That's the story Kotuku. I hope you have a cracker of a season as well, just be careful- the hunting god hates over confidence!
    over confidence and shot congradulation.
    thats why the very next bird ,after the ripper shot,closer backpeddling nicely into the dekes you miss cold once twice thrice
    I am hearing you. Re Neil- what you are seeing there is an argument between the big players and the small players and has little to do with wildlife management.
    it seems someone like neil who does all[like the haters claim to be wanting to do] he can for ducks for so long but doesnt expect a return out of it.
    Is somehow worthy of the derision deep scrutiny and suspicion. the very thing the THE HATERS WOULD LIKE LEAST THEMSELVES..
    Last edited by gsp follower; 02-04-2015 at 01:47 PM.

I'm looking at getting a 20g for my daughter to use at Ellesmere. Has anybody tried replacing the lead shot in a 20g shell with some steel shot taken out of a 12g shell? The tricky bit would be getting the crimp to reseal properly.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    I'm looking at getting a 20g for my daughter to use at Ellesmere. Has anybody tried replacing the lead shot in a 20g shell with some steel shot taken out of a 12g shell? The tricky bit would be getting the crimp to reseal properly.
    if only it were that easy theres the danger of dealing with primed cases and extra pressure steel shot creates as if it wasnt suicidal enough to try in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by gsp follower View Post
    if only it were that easy theres the danger of dealing with primed cases and extra pressure steel shot creates as if it wasnt suicidal enough to try in the first place
    Wads are different too they keep the steel away from the barrel, not something to mess with unfortunately unless you have all the right components
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

according to craig maylam who wrote an article on reloading 12g steel shot in one hunting mag -Richard Wilhems inCHCH imports kits to reload 50 7/8oz steel 12g 2 3/4"rounds.
    these rounds apparently fair scream through the air and happily drop ducks,geese and whatever else in their path.
    craig points out and shows clearly the attention needed with wads,plus the very careful scrutiny to ensure the exact number of steel shot going into every load.
    speaking of which Richard may well know here to source reasonably priced 20&28g steel loads.

Cheers, I've been offered some 24gr #7 loads. Will probably be OK for close shots. Will give it a go on some clays and pattern a few to see what it is like.
    gsp follower likes this.

id be interested to stug night shooting of ducks can close especialy at if you can see them their close time of night.

without wanting to sound pedantic i dont think doc think thier shit through.
    thier permits states ''you must use steel shot on te waihora'' no mention of equally legal alternatives.
    they do make things unneccessarily complicated and confusing do i presume bismuth,tungsten matrix,heavy shot,tungsten iron are ok/not ok??
    who,s gonna check? f&g? doc rangers? the reason the permit states steel is cos they got caught out by the heli culls using lead and thier legal opinion at the time said they couldnt prosecute cos it ''wasnt specificly stated on the issued permit'' so instead of doing it right even now they have a well experienced f&g man at the helm they continue to make up these silly confusing permits
    i have a gamebird permit AND A canada goose permit could be a reAL MONEY SPINNER IF DOC DECIDES TO INCREASE USER PAYS.
    Last edited by gsp follower; 12-04-2015 at 02:30 PM.

im not dropping my bloody lip matey brae so get your friggin eyes checked.youd do well to drop the sarcasm&aggro IMHO.

DOC is just another Govt department beholden to deliberately ambiguous mandates,allowing little hitlers to put their own spin on under the guise of regulation or if shite hits fan ,throwing hands in air and saying well our mandate didnt specifically mention that. Cave Creek was a classic example of them weaseling their way out of potentially very serious shit,altho two men stood up and fell on their swords .Head honcho Rt Hon Min conservation Nick Smith is getting dopier by the bloody day too.
    working in health we suffer the same shite-lots of pointless paperwork and regs dreamed up by self appointed experts!