Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By Munsey
  • 1 Post By stingray
  • 1 Post By oneshot
  • 1 Post By stingray
  • 1 Post By Danny

Thread: Pig dog tips

Pig dog tips

hi guys so i was thinking of getting a pig dog in the near future and i was leaning towards a staffy because of there stockiness and trainability but i am still open to suggestions. I definately want a male dog would a un-neutered dog be best just to keep the bulk and some aggro. It needs to be pretty easy to train and good with other animals, apart from pigs lol. Im not really ready for one right now just want ideas and suggestions and any tips if you have some.
    thanks

Find a successful pig hunter you can trust in your area, and source a pup from them .Take the guess work out of it
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Not being rude, but have you run dogs before?

Personally I would go with a breed with more brain less aggro, a smart hard dog will catch you more pigs and cost you less at the vet.
    Last edited by stingray; 20-07-2015 at 11:30 PM.
    kawhia likes this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Staffy x can be a bit excitable and vocal at times up a pigs arse, I have had some good ones over the years but wouldn't be my first choice, two fantastic crosses are English Bull x Kelpie, and the trusted Lab x boxer.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Yeah ive been around and raised dogs all my life but never for pig hunting. Yeah i was also thinking about a lab x. has anyone had any experience with spca pups, it wouldnt be my first choice but its an option. would neutered or un-neutered be best?

Yes I have had some SPCA specials, they have been just ok. for pig hunting I wouldn't bother, the gene to Not trail bark, stop a pig hard, scent track a pig is bred into pups by experienced hard working dogs fit for the purpose, if it was me I would look for a pup from two experienced good stopping pig dog parents. There is nothing worse than putting all the time and effort into a pup and finding out its a trail barking mutt, because one or both parent dogs were excitable yappers. Male dogs with their nuts were my preferred pig dog, but I was also running two bitches that were amazing when hunted together.
    stingray likes this.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

cool thanks guys , by agro i meant prey drive/hunting instinct.

Good info above.
    Any of the Lab/ Airedale/Cattle/crosses are often good. Hard working, plenty of bite and they'd usually bail as well...Maybe.
    I would recommend you contact someone also whom can help you source a pup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

Ejected
    Pig hunters. They tell taller stories than fishermen. And a lot more of them.
    Don't think one will be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    Pig hunters. They tell taller stories than fishermen. And a lot more of them.
    Don't think one will be enough.
    only the ones in the pub or at the hunting shop .... the rest are out looking for a dog, cleaning dog shit out of kennels or just being plain filthy.

And yes it starts with one dog which leads to two dogs which ......
    Wirehunt likes this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Which leads to five.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    stingray likes this.
    Dan M

Best advice i could offer is go out with a number of different pig hunters. Theres bucket loads of different breeds you can run and heaps of different ways to catch your pork. When out with others you'll be exposing yourself to a number of different breeds preferably and styles of catching them so you then can choose the best approach for you. I no longer hunt the same types of dog i used to hunt, imo part of the beauty of pig hunting and running various breeds is you can custom them to how you like to best spend your time out on the hill and back at home with them. Obviously this also changes over time as your life style changes, theres also where your hunting to consider. Do you need a dog thats going to range out and work a gully/hillside while you sit around waiting, will you hunt in alot of blackberry and gorse? Some dogs are more keen to get into than others etcetc... You can go on and on really.

Point is there will be a style of hunting and dog that will best appeal to and suit you and where you live. Just keep an open mind and listen to as many scummy pig hunters as you can so as to stylise your own pack to what suits your philosophies and likes/dislikes. Different breeds have there merits and drawbacks, end of the day so long as it does the job you want it to do and your happy with it then thats what counts!

I'll try and through some thoughts up about breeds later, but whats already been said above by others is a good start.