Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: 300 Rum Brass Cases

AB Precision
    Point is if a said chamber is 'warm' in some brass and burning out pockets Wtf is finding harder brass going to do? Hide the fact it's 'warm' for x speed ?

Next point is by changing a few things 'simular' to edge +p. . . . . The pressure can be dropped. . . . . . Charge can go up safely .. . . . . . . An speed increases naturally.

I said tweaked, never said what I done. The loads where given to me, I fired it to see first hand. . .. . An modified after, I was putting the facts up of what was found an what it went to. . . . .Or do I hide that info?

I don't run any 338s personally either

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

L.R
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Not sure where you're going here. A hotter load with less pressure? It has been AI'ed (improved in length or capacity) or it has been fired down a smooth bore You have increased OAL by 8 thou so I cant see that being a major diff?
    But I dont use big homo guns so wouldnt know if it is possible.
    Whats the point your trying to make. I am a bit lost.
    It's 80 thou longer Dave not 8. So it is significant.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by tui_man2 View Post
    Point is if a said chamber is 'warm' in some brass and burning out pockets Wtf is finding harder brass going to do? Hide the fact it's 'warm' for x speed ?

Next point is by changing a few things 'simular' to edge +p. . . . . The pressure can be dropped. . . . . . Charge can go up safely .. . . . . . . An speed increases naturally.

I said tweaked, never said what I done. The loads where given to me, I fired it to see first hand. . .. . An modified after, I was putting the facts up of what was found an what it went to. . . . .Or do I hide that info?

I don't run any 338s personally either

Wasnt a dig bro. I was just lost in your description. I am with you now We did it with my wee spud gun and it was an amazing the diff in pressure but I never gained much in speed. Maybe another powder?.
    Last edited by R93; 08-05-2013 at 12:39 PM.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

AB Precision
    I'm not very good at explaining what I mean via writing i know what I mean but it never comes out right, I should just stick with letting my hands do the work.

It was simular Dave to this at this is little different again :thumbup:

Looking forward to other replies, everyone seems to scared to reply and just look. . . . . . Or throw in the trumps card?

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by L.R View Post
    It's 80 thou longer Dave not 8. So it is significant.
    Duh!! I need to learn to read.

Impure Lead Flinger
    I'm not very good at explaining what I mean via writing i know what I mean but it never comes out right, I should just stick with letting my hands do the work.

Looking forward to other replies, everyone seems to scared to reply and just look. . . . . . Or throw in the trumps card?

Might be your dyslexia talking? Or maybe the fact you even confuse yourself alot of the time... :rolleyes:

R93

Its not a huge secret but it can be an advantage and seems to improve larger bores better. I may try some N560 Abe so I will grab some off ya if you have any as well as the other stuff I am bludging?
    Just leave the reloading room open and KJ and I will help ourselves when we come up in a couple weeks
    kiwijames likes this.

AB Precision
    Quote Originally Posted by baldbob View Post
    Might be your dyslexia talking? Or maybe the fact you even confuse yourself alot of the time... :rolleyes:
    It will be :thumbdown: I do the old brain only processes so much at once I have alot of shit i have to write down these days or I forget. . . Must be getting old. ...

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Its not a huge secret but it can be an advantage and seems to improve larger bores better. I may try some N560 Abe so I will grab some off ya if you have any as well as the other stuff I am bludging?
    Just leave the reloading room open and KJ and I will help ourselves when we come up in a couple weeks
    Its a little different to what we done though but not alot like everything small tweaks. Year mate ill have some of that there for you to. Lol go for it the misses will clean up your mess even an put shit where I can't find it . . . . Like normal or my little helper does

R93
    It will be :thumbdown: I do the old brain only processes so much at once I have alot of shit i have to write down these days or I forget. . . Must be getting old. ...

Its a little different to what we done though but not alot like everything small tweaks. Year mate ill have some of that there for you to. Lol go for it the misses will clean up your mess even an put shit where I can't find it . . . . Like normal or my little helper does

I am pretty sure I know what you did. Sneeze and I have discussed it over a whiskey. I havent even met your missus and she growled at me. She scares me! We will just raid Adams if she is home

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    Here is a link to a Brian Litz article which is good http://www.bergerbullets.com/wp-cont...13/03/COAL.pdf
    Maybe it’s enough if you are approaching the extreme limits of pressures but if you run a "lab test" in Quickload by changing the COAL it makes bugger all difference apart from cases where the bore is large compared to case capacity, I.E. 30BR. In a case like the 300rum seating depth will have a very small impact on pressure due to the already huge case capacity and relatively small % change you are causing by seating the projectile deeper or not. Litz is right of course but he doesn’t quantify it with numbers to say how much and he doesn’t acknowledge the importance of relative bore size to case capacity. All in all buggered if I know why he is getting the results he is...

I would agree though that changing to a harder brass to stop getting pressure signs is not my idea of safe reloading practice, if you're pushing the envelope that hard you had better hope you have a good understanding of what your pressure is doing in different environmental conditions too...

I had heard that Kirby Allen would use hornady brass to determine pressure with his 338 Lapua wildcats and then change back to Lapua brass

L.R
    That's not really an accurate way of doing it either is it. Internal volumes and case shapes could very a lot, data gathered for one case could be dangerous in another potentially.
    I guess you have to determine pressure some how tho and it obviously works for him.

Yes you are right normally, but Hornady 338 lapua brass is a lot softer than Lapua 338 lapua brass. Lapua 338 lapua brass doesn't normally show pressure signs until way past normal safe pressures.

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    Yes you are right normally, but Hornady 338 lapua brass is a lot softer than Lapua 338 lapua brass. Lapua 338 lapua brass doesn't normally show pressure signs until way past normal safe pressures.
    What are safe pressures?

Sorry, I couldn't resist it... Back to the interesting discussion :thumbup:

Sent from my XT320 using Tapatalk 2
    Spanners, veitnamcam and BRADS like this.
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

Impure Lead Flinger
    Quote Originally Posted by The Claw View Post
    What are safe pressures?

Sorry, I couldn't resist it... Back to the interesting discussion :thumbup:

Sent from my XT320 using Tapatalk 2
    5psi is safe