Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree147Likes

Thread: 6.5 143 ELD-X, are they THE 6.5 hunting bullet?

Mine is at 20 inches, it's been a pretty slow barrel so far so hoping once it's broken in a bit things will speed up. I've done a couple of ladder tests with 2217 and 2225 and I've been hitting pressure pretty early in the charge weights and I think I've figured out why. It's a pretty rookie error, I had some discoloration on some of the cases after firing and it's looks like I haven't cleaned the lube off properly

I've made this mistake before so a bit disappointed I've done it again. Ah well onward and upward, I'll load up another ladder and get back on track.

Hoping to get up to 2950 but I'm miles away at this point, managed to get to 2740 today with 2225.

Quote Originally Posted by Rated M for Magnum View Post
    Mine is at 20 inches, it's been a pretty slow barrel so far so hoping once it's broken in a bit things will speed up. I've done a couple of ladder tests with 2217 and 2225 and I've been hitting pressure pretty early in the charge weights and I think I've figured out why. It's a pretty rookie error, I had some discoloration on some of the cases after firing and it's looks like I haven't cleaned the lube off properly

I've made this mistake before so a bit disappointed I've done it again. Ah well onward and upward, I'll load up another ladder and get back on track.

Hoping to get up to 2950 but I'm miles away at this point, managed to get to 2740 today with 2225.
    Just make sure you are not getting carbon build up cause that spikes pressure real quick.
    Heavy loads of slow burning powder cause carbon rings real quick.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam likes this.

What brass are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5 CRD View Post
    What brass are you using?
    Norma, and it's sooooofft.

Norma, and it's sooooofft.
    Thats likely part of your problem. im no expert but have had similar issues with norma .308 brass, hitting pressure signs waaay before it should be. tried hornady brass and even that was substantially better than the norma.

For what its worth, so far im using 59gr of 2217 in lapua brass, fed120m primer to get 3050fps with the 26" no press signs at all yet. have loaded up to 60.5 to try and see how far from the danger zone i am.

Quote Originally Posted by 25/08 IMP View Post
    Just make sure you are not getting carbon build up cause that spikes pressure real quick.
    Heavy loads of slow burning powder cause carbon rings real quick.

Yep I've just given a good clean out with boretech eliminator and I'll make sure my cases are clean next time. Charge weight wise I'm pretty sure I'm getting up there with 60.5 grains of 2225.

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5 CRD View Post
    Thats likely part of your problem. im no expert but have had similar issues with norma .308 brass, hitting pressure signs waaay before it should be. tried hornady brass and even that was substantially better than the norma.

For what its worth, so far im using 59gr of 2217 in lapua brass, fed120m primer to get 3050fps with the 26" no press signs at all yet. have loaded up to 60.5 to try and see how far from the danger zone i am.
    Quite likely. To be fair though I'm 6 inches shorter on barrel length, that works out to 50fps per inch of barrel lost.

I ran my 6.5 saum at 3080 with the 156 Berger was a very stiff load I’d back it down to 3000 if I did it again 22” barrel so I’m sure the prc will run 2950 at 20 and 143 no worries
    25/08 IMP likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 25/08 IMP View Post
    I would be pissed if i only got that speed.
    May as well have an 20" .260

I would want 2950 or more otherwise its not worth the extra powder my Creedmoor and my old .260 are pushing them at 2810fps from 20" and 18" barrels.
    So to warrant the extra powder you would like to think 2950-3000 shouldn't be too much to ask.
    You would definitely get more speed from whatever cartridge you are loading for mate. You clearly run your reloads at max to over pressure.
    Your .260 and 6.5CM running 140+ class pills at 2800fps from 18"-20" barrels has to be well over pressure, which is fine for you or other people who are experienced but dangerous AF for most other people. Find any max data that is close to this speed that isnt 22" or longer.

@Rated M for Magnum Dont blow your face off or feel disappointed in your rifle because you aren't hitting some of the speeds of other rifles. You'll need RL26 or superformance to hit the higher velocities. Overpressure loads on a hot day or even from your pocket and fired asap will ruin your day. Whatever speeds you end up with will kill right out past 800+m anyway!

I had some 143 eldx loads running 2950fps in a 18" barrel but it F*cked the brass in one firing. It would still hold primers but had hard bolt lift, raised ejector cutout stamping, plunger swipes shaving brass and expanded case web/head. This load was fine initially until i shot on a hot day, even though i had the ammo in the shade.
    hotsoup, janleroux and Cam86NZ like this.

Re the original topic, if you do get it going faster, i think it would be wise to have a different load for closer ranges. Just going off what i have experienced with the 143gr eldx at 2600fps out of my creedmoor, at 3000fps it can surely only be worse as far as penciling through. I always try sneak the shot in behind the shoulder (i like to take all the meat possible) rather than square in the shoulder, and ive had plenty at the 100 odd meter mark that have gone straight through more or less. deer never made it far its always been terminal for me, but have had a couple of runners that have taken me more than a few minutes to find. i put up with it though, because ive found them to be exceptional further out.
    Rated M for Magnum likes this.

dare I say it..thats par for the course with the meat saver shot unless using something really explody.... sometimes its great,sometimes ,not so much.
    6.5 CRD likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Roarless20 View Post
    You would definitely get more speed from whatever cartridge you are loading for mate. You clearly run your reloads at max to over pressure.
    Your .260 and 6.5CM running 140+ class pills at 2800fps from 18"-20" barrels has to be well over pressure, which is fine for you or other people who are experienced but dangerous AF for most other people. Find any max data that is close to this speed that isnt 22" or longer.

@Rated M for Magnum Dont blow your face off or feel disappointed in your rifle because you aren't hitting some of the speeds of other rifles. You'll need RL26 or superformance to hit the higher velocities. Overpressure loads on a hot day or even from your pocket and fired asap will ruin your day. Whatever speeds you end up with will kill right out past 800+m anyway!

I had some 143 eldx loads running 2950fps in a 18" barrel but it F*cked the brass in one firing. It would still hold primers but had hard bolt lift, raised ejector cutout stamping, plunger swipes shaving brass and expanded case web/head. This load was fine initially until i shot on a hot day, even though i had the ammo in the shade.
    Yeah I'm not looking for a face lift, if I get to 2850 that'll be plenty for me, even 2800 will be fine, it'll do the job and I will have achieved what I set out to do.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roarless20 View Post

Well some may think these loads are way too hot.
    In the rifles i have had and load for there is no pressure signs, all my Tikka rifles run long mags and bolt stops and are seated long.
    Cases are onto 6 or more loadings with no stamping and or loose primer pockets. The only time i have had pressure issues is if the good old carbon ring has built up. This can happen very quick with RL 26.
    Every rifle chamber and barrel is different some hit pressure earlier than others. I always ran into pressure issues using 2209 in the .260 and could only get very slow speeds, so switched to Hodgdon superproformance and have used it in a number of .260 since.

Yeah I'm not looking for a face lift, if I get to 2850 that'll be plenty for me, even 2800 will be fine, it'll do the job and I will have achieved what I set out to do.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, really appreciate it.
    With my 20" 2875 fps with most powders and 140 grn seems the upper comfortable limit.
    If you want comfortable extra speed drop a bullet weight. I'm 3140 fps with a 124 Hammer. N565 powder.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Yep I've just given a good clean out with boretech eliminator ...
    Believe me, it doesn't matter what fancy bore cleaner you use, if it's just using patches, there's no guarantee the bore will end up fully clean even when the patch comes out spotless. This is especially so with hard carbon rings that form in the throat. Even prolonged use of a new bronze brush will not shift them. You often have to resort to Autosol or JBs to get it out.

There is only one way to see if your cleaning has worked and that's a borescope. These days, there is no excuse for not getting one as Teslongs are pretty cheap. They can actually save you money as in not wasting components trying to find a load when the real cause is fouling.