Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree147Likes

Thread: 6.5 143 ELD-X, are they THE 6.5 hunting bullet?

ELDX go together in this forum like tikka T3 7mm08s and ponsonby coffee...
    outdoorlad likes this.

I have used 147 eld ms in my 260. Bought the rifle off Buzz and he gave me his load specs. I reckon I have shot about 40-50 animals with that combo. Pigs, sika, reds and tahr. From 5y to 620y. Mates son flattened a nice bull tahr at 620y with my rifle. 1 shot and pole axed. Must hold its energy well and expand. I’ve had one memorable fU$k up on a ruahine red stag in the roar but that was operator error. 44 grains 2209. Lapua case.
    buzzman, Nick-D, Mathias and 1 others like this.

Meant to also say 2700 fps.

The 143gn ELDX looks like THE Projectile for the 6.5 calibre. I shoot a 6.5 Creedmoor and use factory ammo.

I have been mainly using the Hornady superformance 129gn SST. I recently bought a couple of packs of the Hornady Precision Hunter 143gn ELDX.
    I ran these over a chronograph and was dissapointed at the actual achieved velocity of these factory 143gn pills. MV was 2550fps.The rifle is a T3X tikka with 20" barrel.
    Perhaps this is a good reason to handload. Just wondering if anyone else has experience with the factory loaded 143gn pills.
    Rated M for Magnum likes this.
    ZeroPak Vacuum Sealers, Zero air Zero waste

Quote Originally Posted by zeropak View Post
    The 143gn ELDX looks like THE Projectile for the 6.5 calibre. I shoot a 6.5 Creedmoor and use factory ammo.

I have been mainly using the Hornady superformance 129gn SST. I recently bought a couple of packs of the Hornady Precision Hunter 143gn ELDX.
    I ran these over a chronograph and was dissapointed at the actual achieved velocity of these factory 143gn pills. MV was 2550fps.The rifle is a T3X tikka with 20" barrel.
    Perhaps this is a good reason to handload. Just wondering if anyone else has experience with the factory loaded 143gn pills.
    This sounds about right, i have a t3x 6.5 creedmoor shortend to 18 inches and it shoots the 143gr precision hunter factory ammo at 2459fps average. My partners 16 inch creedmoor shoots them at 2379fps average. 40fps loss per inch of barrel. So yours at 20 inch and 2550 is right on what id expect to see.

I havent developed a load for either of these properly yet, but did do a speed ladder with the 18 inch one, got to 2630fps with a slightly compressed load of 2209 before seeing pressure signs. Going to revisit once im finished with working on loads for other rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5 CRD View Post
    This sounds about right, i have a t3x 6.5 creedmoor shortend to 18 inches and it shoots the 143gr precision hunter factory ammo at 2459fps average. My partners 16 inch creedmoor shoots them at 2379fps average. 40fps loss per inch of barrel. So yours at 20 inch and 2550 is right on what id expect to see.

I havent developed a load for either of these properly yet, but did do a speed ladder with the 18 inch one, got to 2630fps with a slightly compressed load of 2209 before seeing pressure signs. Going to revisit once im finished with working on loads for other rifles.
    If you want a bit more speed try Hodgdon superproormance it works well in the Creedmoor and .260 with 143 eldx and 147 ELDM

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    Swanny likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 25/08 IMP View Post
    If you want a bit more speed try Hodgdon superproormance it works well in the Creedmoor and .260 with 143 eldx and 147 ELDM

I have some superformance here that im using in my 300wsm. Been tempted to try it in the creedmoor, maybe i will one day but for now ill stick with the 2209, dont need to get every last bit of speed out of it, for the hunting i do with it, it doesnt need to go far. I did read one of your posts from a different thread about your superformance/creedmoor experiences, impressive speed.
    25/08 IMP likes this.

Ok so that being the case. I would argue that better performance can be achieved with a 129gn projectile vs the 143gn. At least with factory ammo.
    The ballistic calculator tells be that the 143gn at 2550 only just make the magical 1000 foot pounds of energy at 400m. Whereas the 129gn SST still has about just over 1000 foot pounds at 500 metres. Perhaps the 142 or heavier projectile has a place with The 6.5 PRC but not the Creedmoor.

Ok so that being the case. I would argue that better performance can be achieved with a 129gn projectile vs the 143gn. At least with factory ammo.
    The ballistic calculator tells be that the 143gn at 2550 only just make the magical 1000 foot pounds of energy at 400m. Whereas the 129gn SST still has about just over 1000 foot pounds at 500 metres. Perhaps the 142 or heavier projectile has a place with The 6.5 PRC but not the Creedmoor.
    Yeah i guess it depends on your barrel length & if your hand loading or not. Some pretty decent speeds can be achieved in the creedmoor with powders like superformance which will stretch its legs. For me, my 18 inch 6.5 creedmoor has a thermal scope and i use it out to around 200-250m absolute maximum & my partners 16 inch creedmoor is just a soft shooting short bush - 200m gun for her. Neither of them need to shoot far so the 143gr eldx work well.

Yeah i guess it depends on your barrel length & if your hand loading or not. Some pretty decent speeds can be achieved in the creedmoor with powders like superformance which will stretch its legs. For me, my 18 inch 6.5 creedmoor has a thermal scope and i use it out to around 200-250m absolute maximum & my partners 16 inch creedmoor is just a soft shooting short bush - 200m gun for her. Neither of them need to shoot far so the 143gr eldx work well.
    Yep I agree. It seems that handloading can get a bit more out of the 143 ELDX. It is a bit of an irony that the ELDX is touted as a great long range projectile but for what you are doing at mostly sub 200m it could arguably be a better choice than the 129gn SST due to its slower velocity and its heavier construction which would mean it would hold together better at those shorter ranges. The 129 SST has performed really well for me at longer ranges but I think If I was bush hunting then the 143 ELDX would be my choice.

That's why speed is important my Creedmoor with hand loaded 143 is still holding 1021fp of energy at 775 yards

Quote Originally Posted by 25/08 IMP View Post
    That's why speed is important my Creedmoor with hand loaded 143 is still holding 1021fp of energy at 775 yards

Jeez that a huge difference compared to the precision hunter factory loads. Do you care to share the load data and MV that gives you that sort of performance. Something like this could convince me to get back into handloading.

Jeez that a huge difference compared to the precision hunter factory loads. Do you care to share the load data and MV that gives you that sort of performance. Something like this could convince me to get back into handloading.
    I'll PM you my load data

DBD
    A semi mild load of RL16 & 143eldx going at 2700fps will give you a similar outcome. My 22" creedmoor loves it, have ramped it up to 2800+ but prefer it mild.
    It takes 20 barrels of water to make 1 barrel of beer...

156 Berger would be my top choice especially if you’ve got a 65 prc / saum / 284