Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: ADI powder for 7RM

Link
    Yea mate would have to check my notes but off the top of my head I shot a ladder test first. Identified that the lower charges wouldn't give the velocity I was after however there looked to be promise around the 68-69 grain area. Crept my loads up in half grain increments and sure enough groups tightened up dramatically at the 68, 68.5 and 69 grain charges. What was the highest charge you loaded?

I'm assuming since you're asking whether it's worth heading to 66 grain you haven't yet? I'm no reloading guru but what I'd to to see if it's worth while is do a ladder, creeping up in half grain increments from you're previous high where you had no pressure signs.

My accuracy node was around the 68 - 69 grain range in a standard tikka. With the 162 eldx (mag length) Norma brass, and CCI magnum primers. However that's just mine and you could well hit pressure before this.

Food for thought but if you have a fair bit of this powder as you say then may as well tinker
    Rees likes this.

Link
    Had a good lower accuracy node with 2217 but opened up as I tried to increase velocity to where I wanted it.

Rees if your using a chrono and not seeing pressure sign work towards 3000 fps and see if accuracy improves. If it does not or you get pressure signs change powers. Lots of good ones to choose from is a plus here.
    Rees likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post
    Yea mate would have to check my notes but off the top of my head I shot a ladder test first. Identified that the lower charges wouldn't give the velocity I was after however there looked to be promise around the 68-69 grain area. Crept my loads up in half grain increments and sure enough groups tightened up dramatically at the 68, 68.5 and 69 grain charges. What was the highest charge you loaded?

I'm assuming since you're asking whether it's worth heading to 66 grain you haven't yet? I'm no reloading guru but what I'd to to see if it's worth while is do a ladder, creeping up in half grain increments from you're previous high where you had no pressure signs.

My accuracy node was around the 68 - 69 grain range in a standard tikka. With the 162 eldx (mag length) Norma brass, and CCI magnum primers. However that's just mine and you could well hit pressure before this.

Food for thought but if you have a fair bit of this powder as you say then may as well tinker
    thanks for the reply bro.
    yeah rightio i might do a ladder if these next loads with different seating depths change much. ive only gone up to 65, actually im going to load a ladder test now.
    Cheers il see what happens.

Ok,

yep final touch on this, i got a load for the sst an 2213sc, im guna hold off on eldx and get 2217 an do it all again

changed scope rings for a lower set an thats been a huge improvement too.

im just guna play with some seating depths for a dozen shots and call it a day somewhere in there for SST practise

Thanks for the info tips an Help fellas.
    Link and dannyb like this.

To be honest I reckon you are using the wrong powder in my opinion. I don't this 13 is going to get you the velocities you are after with that weight of projectile and that barrel length.

I personally use 2225, I think it's a better choice for the heavier slugs when you have barrel length to play with.
    I'm using a 24" tube and have had a couple of good loads,

72gr of 2225 behind a 154sst was a great one,
    73.5gr of 2225 behind 162 A max worked well too.

Of course this is in my shooter and the loads are hot so you should stick to the load data first before working up to pressures like that.

My two cents anyhow
    Rees likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    To be honest I reckon you are using the wrong powder in my opinion. I don't this 13 is going to get you the velocities you are after with that weight of projectile and that barrel length.

I personally use 2225, I think it's a better choice for the heavier slugs when you have barrel length to play with.
    I'm using a 24" tube and have had a couple of good loads,

72gr of 2225 behind a 154sst was a great one,
    73.5gr of 2225 behind 162 A max worked well too.

Of course this is in my shooter and the loads are hot so you should stick to the load data first before working up to pressures like that.

My two cents anyhow
    hey man im about to get onto a different powder now, im goin with reloader 25 ? wit hthe 26 inch barrel and 162 gr eldx.....
    thanks for this info, its a bit of a trend between published data accuracy and as you an few others find, that true magnum bracket with a bit of stoking an careful experimenting to get it humming.

ive also got Hornady brass now which is nice to start with neat stuff.
    using Rem 9 1/2 primers..... might change? the 2213sc was cratering them at 63? but no other sign of pressure, so to speak.

Banned
    Looks like nice country you're hunting those sambar in. How many snakes do you see and what(if any) precautions do you take?

Quote Originally Posted by stevodog View Post
    Looks like nice country you're hunting those sambar in. How many snakes do you see and what(if any) precautions do you take?

See a couple but most stop hunting about now or so when the snakes do come out,
    the precautions are knee high gaitors , mine r ridgline canvas backed ones.. if any u guys know of where to get them in nz sing out as i think they r no longer made?

theres heaps of special 'snake proof' ones for sale now for a mint.... lol...

havin a decent material pant or so with say thermal under neath should keep you ok as the layers r quite thick an the tip of the fangs shouldnt reach so far with a strike, if that occurs.

typically ya see them like above, when ya walkin up hill lookin infront, an if ya dont see them, they typically strike ya on the Thigh anyway..... so ya cooked no matter what ya got on...

awesome country, no big mountains like nz just steep country with alot of gullies etc, same as nz tho in that the areas varie quite a bit

Banned
    Puts another edge on the hunt. I guess it give a impetus to go slower and watch more.
    Is that a Taipan?
    I lived in bush in Darwin at one time. We hardly ever saw snakes but always had dogs around.
    Good to see Victoria is pretty hunter friendly

Quote Originally Posted by stevodog View Post
    Puts another edge on the hunt. I guess it give a impetus to go slower and watch more.
    Is that a Taipan?
    I lived in bush in Darwin at one time. We hardly ever saw snakes but always had dogs around.
    Good to see Victoria is pretty hunter friendly
    nah it either a Bush Tiger or a Copper head, most likely the former though! youngish.
    deadly. ha ha!!!

aw yeah Darwin, some desrt taipans out there an others!

yeah it does make ya sort of change, well i change to more glassing and sit wait summer hunting! less walking and certainly no grass and creek missions
    stevodog likes this.