Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: First time reloading 270win

First time reloading 270win

To the aficionados of Gods caliber. Have reached the point that I’m confident with my case sizing technique so on to powder charge. Starting with AR2209 (have W760 on hand as well) and an old box of projectiles pictured:

Name:  9797D4FF-3C25-4758-A5F6-7740269DBFCF.jpeg
Views: 609
Size:  1.17 MB

Probably start at 53gns up to max as per the the ADI manual for the 130gn Hornady SP??

Rifle is a Remington SS Mountain rebarreled with a standard profile REM barrel cut down to 22”.

Surprised at the hesitancy and apprehension I’ve had learning and applying this new skill. I have an adequate stock of a variety of components in case my rifle doesn’t like a particular brew and I’m not stuck waiting for alternatives so just have to crack on with it.
    Any input would be much appreciated from the knowledgeable members that inhabit this space. Thank you.

Cheers, Sidetrack.
    foxhound likes this.
    “Age is a very high price to pay for maturity”

760 is a really easy powder to use...and those projectiles are going to be awesome..... far to good for just paper punching.
    BSA270 and rewa like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    760 is a really easy powder to use...and those projectiles are going to be awesome..... far to good for just paper punching.
    I agree. From what I have read, they were a great performer in their day. I have 122 of them so hoping they work out for this rifle and I’ll keep them for hunting only. W760 is listed as the equivalent of 2209 so same start charge weights?

Ive never used 2209...... I used loads straight from manual back when used 760 for myself..RUMPYS ruger likes it but likes a mild load,not much above start load levels..... his rifle would NOT LIKE/HANDLE the loads mine digests.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidetrack View Post
    I agree. From what I have read, they were a great performer in their day. I have 122 of them so hoping they work out for this rifle and I’ll keep them for hunting only. W760 is listed as the equivalent of 2209 so same start charge weights?
    No, Winchester 760 is not the same as AR2209 - it requires its own data that you can find here:

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-data-center

The various powder 'equivalence' charts floating about should have huge warnings attached to them that they do not imply any form of commonality or substitution between powders. The only thing the chart provides is an approximation of relative burning rate, but this is very subjective.

I use 760 in 270 with 130gr. 2209 would be temp stable and generally a lower extreme spread than 760.
    I'm not a good enough shot to benefit though I don't leave the ammo on the bench in the summer sun.
    Micky Duck and BSA270 like this.

Superformance and AR2213SC are also good powders in the 270, as MD said those Noslars are a good bullet I used them in the old days, may. Still have some even.
    tetawa and jackson21 like this.

While there different powders 54-55 gns with a 130 is normally the accuracy and velocity (3000 ish fps) load for a .270 win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did notice that chamber is tighter than the previous one so does that mean pressures are likely to be higher? The donor rifle hadn’t had more than 20 rounds through it. Maybe I’ll start at 52gns and move up in .3s which seems to be accepted practice.
    Overly conscious of component waste so was going to start with groups of three then test with five if something looked promising or am I deluding myself and it’s a waste in the long run? And yes, the OCD is kicking in hard!!!

52gr 760 130gr set to mag length it just works
    GSP HUNTER and dannyb like this.

Exciting times ahead for you sidetrack, 3 shot groups are good enough to see if its grouping, try to eliminate any human error when testing like good solid rest, etc etc. I would wait one minute between shots and let the barrel cool between groups. Good luck.
    Micky Duck and Sidetrack like this.

Did notice that chamber is tighter than the previous one so does that mean pressures are likely to be higher? The donor rifle hadn’t had more than 20 rounds through it. Maybe I’ll start at 52gns and move up in .3s which seems to be accepted practice.
    Overly conscious of component waste so was going to start with groups of three then test with five if something looked promising or am I deluding myself and it’s a waste in the long run? And yes, the OCD is kicking in hard!!!
    Chamber may appear tighter because your die is set for the previous rifle. Go back to basic's and set your resizing die so the your cases chamber "nicely". That may even mean you have to set the die right back to "cam over", may not, each chamber is different. Those Nosler projectiles should perform great, excellent old school projectile. All of the powders mentioned should work fine, dont over think it - Superformance, 760, 2213/4831, 2209. Looking forward to seeing the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    Chamber may appear tighter because your die is set for the previous rifle. Go back to basic's and set your resizing die so the your cases chamber "nicely". That may even mean you have to set the die right back to "cam over", may not, each chamber is different. Those Nosler projectiles should perform great, excellent old school projectile. All of the powders mentioned should work fine, dont over think it - Superformance, 760, 2213/4831, 2209. Looking forward to seeing the results.
    Apologies, should have made myself clearer. This is my first time reloading ever. I had test chambered some rounds that had been reloaded for me for original barrel and found that the bolt wouldn’t close on the round so my assumption was a tighter chamber. Is that correct?

Apologies, should have made myself clearer. This is my first time reloading ever. I had test chambered some rounds that had been reloaded for me for original barrel and found that the bolt wouldn’t close on the round so my assumption was a tighter chamber. Is that correct?
    Each rifle is different, tighter is probably the easiest way to describe it. Shouldn't affect pressure, but it does mean that your die has to be set to that rifle/chamber. Easy to follow instructions in the first part of your reloading manual. If you want to load for several rifles or just go back to basic's, put your shell holder in to the press and then push the handle down which should put your ram to the top. Then screw your reloading die down until it contacts the shell holder. Pull the lever up, which drops the ram and screw in your die another 1/8 of a turn. Usually pays to lock your lock ring on the die at this point. Then push the handle back down and your ram/shell holder will come up to contact the bottom of the die and need just a slight "cam over" on your handle to be at the full length resizing setting.
    Try a couple of cartridges to make sure its all good, and then try to chamber them in the rifle. I find it easier to fit a projectile in the EMPTY case to make it feed properly. If it feeds nice and chamber doesnt feel "tight" then you're all good to go.
    Once you get yourself all good and deep down the proverbial rabbit hole of reloading you might want to play with that resizing depth for the minimal resizing depth so that it doesnt resize the case as much. But a FL resize doesnt have that much to do with the overall accuracy of your cartridges at this point.
    The 270 is very tolerant to reload and you shouldn't have much problem finding a load to suit. If the 130's dont do what you expect then change to 140's and see if they are better.
    Micky Duck and BSA270 like this.

right..FWIW here is my advice..... start at your lower weight.... manual has 53.5grns of winchester 760 for 3000 as maximum
    51----54.3 of AR 2209
    so I WOULD drop that to maybe 50grns,load two rounds and another 2 at 50.5 2 at 51 2 at 51.5 2 at 52 2 at 52.5 2 at 53

seat them using a factory round in seating die to give depth.... and go shoot them to check for pressure....and while doing so take note of what pokes the 2 closest together..2 rather than 3 cause Im a cheap hua and components arent cheap any more. THESE 10 ROUNDS HAVE YOUR POWDER LEVEL SORTED...
    when you get pressure signs DO NOT try any hotter loads,drop back to load before the hot one .PULL ANY LEFT OVER ROUNDS and load up say 6 rounds at your one level below pressure level and do two x 3 shot groups at that...if you under inch...go hunting.... and write that load data on wall with a vivid and stick to it.....
    your once fired brass...... when you resize it..do not screw sizing die right in hard,back it off a full turn and see if it will easily chamber,if not,screw in another 1/4 turn untill it will...then set lock ring and leave it at that...what this does is partial length resize EG only move brass back a little bit at shoulder and will resize MOST but not all of the neck...will/should make brass last longer as getting moved around less.
    once you have powder level sorted then MAYBE tweak seating depth..to be completely honest here,if it fits in magazine and chambers fine I leave it alone and dont touch it..from memory 99% of my .270 loads are 1mm shorter than the magazine box.
    Moa Hunter and Sidetrack like this.