Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: First time reloading 270win

Quote Originally Posted by DeadReds View Post
    I'm looking forward to beginning my reloading journey in the near future. This thread as been a really informative read. Please keep it going.
    Apologies, haven’t got to the range yet. Was out hunting longer than expected and the wind had kicked up later in the afternoon. Then a day in Dunedin and then Invercargill today has had me tied up. Today was a cracker too, a hard frost followed by a pristine day. Bloody typical!!
    Fingers crossed for tomorrow or Saturday.
    DeadReds likes this.
    “Age is a very high price to pay for maturity”

The weather gods smiled at me today. Sea level, 12degrees and no wind. Perfect!!

Centre of target still a bit of a blur for me (yes yes I know, get my eyes rechecked) but results as follows:

Name:  BDB1B8A9-CFC2-4ECF-BB1A-E82912273717.jpeg
Views: 167
Size:  649.6 KBName:  6401F839-FD60-4AC4-BC14-A4D525B39AC4.jpeg
Views: 172
Size:  784.9 KB

No pressure signs on the cases that I can tell. Maybe bolt lift getting a touch stickier from 52gns upwards but not getting any worse at 53gns but I wouldn’t say abnormal.
    Also fired the one round from initial batch (51.5gns) that would chamber freely. On target but looks like it blew a primer.

Name:  A60A3E19-D858-46D8-9868-9FF2BAF1E2C6.jpeg
Views: 173
Size:  392.5 KB

Your analysis, ladies and gentlemen, would be appreciated.

As an aside, went back to shooting off a bipod and rear bag. So much easier than using the Stinger. Also spaced out the rounds 3-5 minutes and spent the time just closing my eyes and concentrating on calming my breathing and heart rate. Can’t do anything about my right eye sight just now, just trying to allow for the double reticle and the slight blurring in the centre. Good thing is that it doesn’t affect my hunting accuracy, I blew over three hares last week, offhand, from 50m to about 125m so all good there.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

NO4
    look's like 51grn's is the go as for the blown primer cant say I've experienced that before I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will have a answer
    Micky Duck likes this.

51grn definately looks good...and shoot lefty and just see how you go.....I can do it...takes a wee bit to get your head around...but it works LOL.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Primer doesn't look flat or cratered.
    Is it a Winchester primer? They're more known to get unlucky with. Torched up the bolt face?

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    51grn definately looks good...and shoot lefty and just see how you go.....I can do it...takes a wee bit to get your head around...but it works LOL.
    Had a look through the scope using the devil’s side, was clear as a bell. Have been thinking I might have to train myself to shoot that way. Once the muscle memory kicks in, should be good to go.

As for my next step, should I load up at 51gns and shoot a five shot group just to confirm it wasn’t a fluke??

yes and yes again...... had a mate in Oz whos eyesight went to crap..melanoma in neck,got it removed and vision came right.

Quote Originally Posted by Longrun View Post
    Primer doesn't look flat or cratered.
    Is it a Winchester primer? They're more known to get unlucky with. Torched up the bolt face?
    Yep, I was given a slab of a thousand along with a second 270 I bought off TM a few years ago. Had read on and off about the issue with the older WLR primers. Was hoping I’d avoided it. Never nailed down specific batches that were prone and it seemed a random occurrence. Can you shed anymore light on it? Best I check the bolt face in the morning. Is any lasting damage likely??

Definitely load 5 of the 51gn's if you are happy with what its done so far. A 5 shot group will tell you a whole lot more than a 2 shot group. What powder and projectile are you using? As for targets, the human eye is round, your scope is round - there should be no need for the X's across your target, especially at 45 to your vertical and horizontal. And it has also been found by people with way more nouse than me, that a white circle on a black background is the best for the human eye. I use the stick on white dots about 25mm across, on black A4 paper, only one dot per sheet. And write all you details on every target, date, wind etc, load, projectile. Then you can go back and check them over at a later date and not get confused.
    Hope you're enjoying the progress, cos it looks like you've pretty much nailed it.

funny about targets...I LIKE the X as it makes it easy to center scope..and a dot 1" round will mean group 1" round unless you have enough magnification to cut it into quarters with Xhairs...
    RUMPY likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    yes and yes again...... had a mate in Oz whos eyesight went to crap..melanoma in neck,got it removed and vision came right.
    Great, thanks. Going to be busy in the morning, loading up rounds, checking bolt faces and my neck for a melanoma!!!

To be fair, have been using +1.25-50 readers for a few years now but the range work really highlighted how my right eye has deteriorated over time. It’s not that bad but the precision work brings out the weakness. Aah well, adapt and overcome as they say, at least I’m still mobile and if I can still shoot groups under an inch at a hundred metres I got nothing to complain about.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    Definitely load 5 of the 51gn's if you are happy with what its done so far. A 5 shot group will tell you a whole lot more than a 2 shot group. What powder and projectile are you using? As for targets, the human eye is round, your scope is round - there should be no need for the X's across your target, especially at 45 to your vertical and horizontal. And it has also been found by people with way more nouse than me, that a white circle on a black background is the best for the human eye. I use the stick on white dots about 25mm across, on black A4 paper, only one dot per sheet. And write all you details on every target, date, wind etc, load, projectile. Then you can go back and check them over at a later date and not get confused.
    Hope you're enjoying the progress, cos it looks like you've pretty much nailed it.
    Absolutely loving it and am using AR2209 with the Nosler 130s as per the start of this post.
    I like your suggestion about the white dots on black paper. I used the crosses to distinguish from the double reticle image I’m seeing and the red to help me centre it. Standard vert/horizontal targets were getting lost in the noise. Will try this in the next round. It’s going to take time shifting to being a leftie.
    Husky1600 and Micky Duck like this.

I figgured you were using the X for that reason when mentioned double lines..... could be worth visiting optometrist they may have solution for you.....
    Sidetrack likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidetrack View Post
    Yep, I was given a slab of a thousand along with a second 270 I bought off TM a few years ago. Had read on and off about the issue with the older WLR primers. Was hoping I’d avoided it. Never nailed down specific batches that were prone and it seemed a random occurrence. Can you shed anymore light on it? Best I check the bolt face in the morning. Is any lasting damage likely??
    I only shoot maybe 150rounds/year. Think your still bit unlucky having primer do that at std pressure.

Primer pockets stretch with repeated loadings can be a factor. You can feel when they start getting loose when priming. I do 4 or 5 loadings and then bin the brass. I think this takes my own inexperienced case assessment out of play.
    Carry on in the suggested load range and await some spring growth