Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: First time reloading 270win

next step is to color a tight fitting case wit ha vivid pen and put in rifle and wiggle it back n forward with bolt to see where its contacting. my guess will be in web area.

friggin oversized dies and tight chambers are a PIA....
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Thanks for the useful feedback. I do recall now the gunsmith saying that it was on the limit of minimum headspace. Will go over it again tomorrow with fresh eyes. Didn’t think I’d strike a problem at this early stage in the proceedings but what the hell. I didn’t take up reloading as a mindless exercise, to fill in time, but to challenge my brain.
    I’m going to sleep now, it’s already hurting.
    Cheers all.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    “Age is a very high price to pay for maturity”

Quote Originally Posted by Sidetrack View Post
    Thanks for the useful feedback. I do recall now the gunsmith saying that it was on the limit of minimum headspace. Will go over it again tomorrow with fresh eyes. Didn’t think I’d strike a problem at this early stage in the proceedings but what the hell. I didn’t take up reloading as a mindless exercise, to fill in time, but to challenge my brain.
    I’m going to sleep now, it’s already hurting.
    Cheers all.
    Get a 30-06 small base die, take the neck expander out and run brass through.

Quote Originally Posted by caberslash View Post
    Get a 30-06 small base die, take the neck expander out and run brass through.
    in theory.....but same deal with my old BLR... some dies are tighter than others....

Okay, fresh day, fresh start. First double-check that I have the right shell holder (Lee #2) and that the ram is stroking fully (Lee Classic Cast). Screwed the die down a bit further so that contact was made earlier and not at end of stroke. Managed to get another couple of thou but still not there.
    Next, marked up the case and chambered (firm but does fully chamber and extract). As photos show, there is a clear concentric contact mark showing.

Name:  60B786DE-8846-4BB8-8DE1-FF876F63242F.jpeg
Views: 171
Size:  1.33 MBName:  2394B737-5164-4F81-A3E3-809516CFBB0C.jpeg
Views: 185
Size:  1.27 MB

So can we assume the prognosis is a combination of a tight chamber and slightly oversized die? And my next step, given I live in the wops, is to lightly polish the shell holder and see what transpires?

Are you lubing the inside of the necks generously? Had a similar problem and found I was pulling it back out on the up stroke. Had my die screwed right in and was scratching my head. So started lubing the inside of the necks with a cotton bud.
    Moa Hunter and Ryan_Songhurst like this.

I lube the inside of all my necks - originally with graphite, simply dipped in a small pottle of it. And lately using the RCBS lube on a brush rolled over the lube pad.

Sidetrack, when you lower the arm to bring the case up to the die, have you set it so that you get a definite "over camming"? It should come up firm and then be able to go a bit further, sometimes with a bit of an audible click. Having it come up to just finish the stroke as it comes in to contact is not over camming.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehorse View Post
    Are you lubing the inside of the necks generously? Had a similar problem and found I was pulling it back out on the up stroke. Had my die screwed right in and was scratching my head. So started lubing the inside of the necks with a cotton bud.
    This. Measure a case before full length sizing it and then after. If it’s longer after you’re dragging the necks out. Easiest way to pin down what’s going on is just measure the cases and compare to saami specs, you’ll soon figure out if it’s the case or the chamber
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

2nd easiest way to find out...it take the guts out of resize die and push a case down into size...then do your measuring.... if you ARE pulling it too big, you would soon see..... what did your fancypants measuring stick say about the web area??? is it shrunk back to spec???because I can see the usual lighter colour there to suggest its getting the usual stretching.....

Hahahah, Sidetrack, step away from your thoughts, you’re getting ahead of yourself again. There is more to consider!!

Yes, you’re all on to something. I neglected to pre-measure the case before sizing but had that thought this afternoon so measured a few random cases and looks like I’m getting about 8-10 thou stretch. Finished case length is about spot on SAAMI spec at 2.539”

No, I’m definitely not lubing the case mouth properly so will use the cotton bud method. Lowering the ram felt rough so this should smooth things out a bit more. The case mouth doesn’t look pretty either. Is this normally resolved with a light trim?

Will clean up some brass that I won’t be reloading and go back to sorting press set up and practice the above. Have no point of reference on feel and I’m not the heavy handed type of person but understand the concept of cam-over. I guess it creates consistency of pressure so will tackle that first.

Will report back early next week with progress. Thank you.
    Cheers, Sidetrack
    Husky1600 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    2nd easiest way to find out...it take the guts out of resize die and push a case down into size...then do your measuring.... if you ARE pulling it too big, you would soon see..... what did your fancypants measuring stick say about the web area??? is it shrunk back to spec???because I can see the usual lighter colour there to suggest its getting the usual stretching.....
    Thanks, will carry that out before I start from scratch. Just have to lookup what the web area is, LOL

Get the sizing right, then trim to length, then chamfer the inside and outside of your case mouth.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

look at your case,,,come up from rim on sidewall about 1/4-1/2" and you will see the light colour area...known as the web...you SHOULD know about this as you SHOULD be checking it from inside the case with a paperclip feeler guage...basically scratch your way up inside feeling for a catchy spot...where the brass has got thin from all the stretching....

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    look at your case,,,come up from rim on sidewall about 1/4-1/2" and you will see the light colour area...known as the web...you SHOULD know about this as you SHOULD be checking it from inside the case with a paperclip feeler guage...basically scratch your way up inside feeling for a catchy spot...where the brass has got thin from all the stretching....
    Got it.
    Micky Duck likes this.

if its a bit on the fat side...what I ended up with... your case will do as you are describing.... the good ladies at gunworks will send you down another shell holder in a jiffy..$35 mine cost last week and arrived 2 days later.....sanding your one down will allow you to push case down further and its less drastic than taking material off bottom of the die,and its a cheaper part to replace if it doesnt solve issue. pity your not closer or would be able to try different dies n bases here....
    Moa Hunter likes this.