Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: First time reloading 270win

I’ve got a lee quick trim die for 270win and the cutter if you’d like to borrow it, lots of people look down their noses at the quick trim system as it seems to be too simple and cheap to work but I have excellent results using it and buy them for every calibre I reload for
    rewa likes this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    I’ve got a lee quick trim die for 270win and the cutter if you’d like to borrow it, lots of people look down their noses at the quick trim system as it seems to be too simple and cheap to work but I have excellent results using it and buy them for every calibre I reload for
    In saying that, I’ve also got a Lyman full length size die you could borrow also if you wanted to give it a go
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Thanks Ryan, will keep that in mind.
    “Age is a very high price to pay for maturity”

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    if its a bit on the fat side...what I ended up with... your case will do as you are describing.... the good ladies at gunworks will send you down another shell holder in a jiffy..$35 mine cost last week and arrived 2 days later.....sanding your one down will allow you to push case down further and its less drastic than taking material off bottom of the die,and its a cheaper part to replace if it doesnt solve issue. pity your not closer or would be able to try different dies n bases here....
    Yea, I’m used to making do with what I have living remotely but the one bit of extra kit I have is a #2 shell holder so no biggy if I have to modify one for the 270 leaving me a spare for the 260. Hopefully the issue will resolve itself by refining my technique.
    And yes, I’ve always had great service from Gunworks, the pricing has always been very fair as I’ve built up the last of my component/powder stock.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    I did buy a new Redding 1400 case trimmer a number of years ago at a good price but the Lee system looks so much less fuss and quicker to cycle cases through. Perhaps when the weather improves and you end up with some time to host a day of steel shooting we’ll catchup on some reloading stuff if that suits.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidetrack View Post
    To the aficionados of Gods caliber. Have reached the point that I’m confident with my case sizing technique so on to powder charge. Starting with AR2209 (have W760 on hand as well) and an old box of projectiles pictured:

Attachment 202062

Probably start at 53gns up to max as per the the ADI manual for the 130gn Hornady SP??

Rifle is a Remington SS Mountain rebarreled with a standard profile REM barrel cut down to 22”.

Surprised at the hesitancy and apprehension I’ve had learning and applying this new skill. I have an adequate stock of a variety of components in case my rifle doesn’t like a particular brew and I’m not stuck waiting for alternatives so just have to crack on with it.
    Any input would be much appreciated from the knowledgeable members that inhabit this space. Thank you.

Cheers, Sidetrack.
    "To the aficionados of Gods caliber."....I couldn't find any reference at all to 6.5x55 ...or 6.5 Sweedmore... but, I would recommend you try some 110gr-ers in your .270 . The results will make you grin .
    Sidetrack likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rewa View Post
    "To the aficionados of Gods caliber."....I couldn't find any reference at all to 6.5x55 ...or 6.5 Sweedmore... but, I would recommend you try some 110gr-ers in your .270 . The results will make you grin .
    I’m sure I mentioned a 260 somewhere on here but it generally likes to stay in closet with all the other 6.5’s. It’ll come out one day when it finally realises it’s really just a 270 in denial.
    Micky Duck likes this.

OK so Im waaay out in left field here.....asking question that HOPEFULLY one of the more knowledgeable folks will be able to answer..... IF indeed this fine fellows chamber is in the supertight bracket and his dies cant quite squeaze case down far enough...yes indeed making shell holder skinnier from the rim slot to top plate that hits die will shorten over all length of case BUT if its the shoulder thats touching in only a tiny part,suggesting OAL length isnt far off....would it be feasible/safe/worthwhile to run already sized case into say a .308 FLR die ,with the guts/expander button rod removed and just bump shoulder a tiny bit...and yes I know its 17 VS 20 degrees a 30/06 die would strike same issue of being too long,thus thinking shorter case die...
    I would hope once fired brass,fired in this rifle may solve issue all on its own by being closer to desired size for future reloading,just pondering possibilities.
    thoughts????
    Last edited by Micky Duck; 30-07-2022 at 12:09 PM.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Back into it today. First up was to run a case through with the guts of the die removed. Basically overcooked it and overshot the bump by three thou. Words fail me.
    So went full engineer and analysed the press action first. What I found was that the linkage was hitting the timber faceboard on the bench and giving me an inconsistent stop. These presses don’t cam over, they have a hard stop built in, so ripped it off the bench, got out the Makita multi tool, enlarged the cutout, added a tidy galv steel faceplate and remounted the press. Felt better full stroke instantly.
    Name:  8967F4BB-AE1E-4749-82A3-D09840F1F9EB.jpeg
Views: 139
Size:  1.20 MB

Another thing I noticed was that when die is set up to contact the shell holder, they do not contact when running a case through. Don’t know what that’s about but either way, I jigged around, fine adjusting and managed to achieve a positive result. Ran half a dozen cases through and got consistent sizing and cases chambering nicely.

On my hit list tomorrow is to thread lock the breech lock adapter into the press. Has far too much slop for my liking and I think it’s adding to my issues. It’s a great press, the ram is super smooth, but I have my reservations about the above. Will also consider buying another set of 270 dies at some stage but will probably take up Ryans offer and try a another first.
    So, finish running cases through then on to working on bullet seating depth before I prime.
    Happy days all, Sidetrack

beauty.......yip my .308 dies were a mongrel to try and get the two bits to connect.... sounds like you are on to it.
    also I see your handle has been hitting bench????...loosen the nut/bolt closest to you and pull handle back in /up just a wee bit and retighten .

Excellent! I had a feeling it was something simple all along, but hey, going through the process has given you a far greater understanding, well done. And look forward to further updates and pictures of targets with tiny wee groups.

there is a older lee press sitting spare in my reloading room,its the older prefancypantslooseygoosey style so die screws directly into the body of press frame.... bulky item to post but if needed we can see what can be done.
    cant see a user of the mighty .270w stuck.
    see how you get on with your new locked in bits ,its there if you need it.

beauty.......yip my .308 dies were a mongrel to try and get the two bits to connect.... sounds like you are on to it.
    also I see your handle has been hitting bench????...loosen the nut/bolt closest to you and pull handle back in /up just a wee bit and retighten .
    Handle is just short of bench. These things are good for up to 50BMG but it makes for a long stoke!!! Needed to push it as far forward as pos to raise it up from the bottom. Changed it as well today.
    I also measured the web as suggested but all was fine. The die seems to leave the case looking like that.
    Micky Duck likes this.

there is a older lee press sitting spare in my reloading room,its the older prefancypantslooseygoosey style so die screws directly into the body of press frame.... bulky item to post but if needed we can see what can be done.
    cant see a user of the mighty .270w stuck.
    see how you get on with your new locked in bits ,its there if you need it.
    Thank you, will definitely file that away for the future.

Thinking of seating bullets 10 thou. back from the lands. Given it fits the mag well, is this a good starting point for the 270??