Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Kimber 84M reload start point

I had an 84m in 708 that i loaded for could not for the life of me get boat tail projectiles to group but 120 and 140 sierra prohunters bingo sub moa and deer dropped down dead.
    Sadly sold it when business went south after 2008 gfc - chap i sold it to keeps on knocking deer over and loves it

Quote Originally Posted by Strider B View Post
    Hey Team

Just got a Kimber M84 that I need to do some load development for, from what ive read they are pretty picky and can have accuracy issues.
    Looking for knockdown power and accuracy out to 400m.

Loading federal LR primers, new Federal casings, and 2206h powder.

Just sold my Rem 700 .308 that I was feeding 165gr Sierra hpbt with great results but am planning on using 150gr this time, either 150gr SST, Sierra 150gr HPBT, Nosler 150gr spitzer BT.

Any suggestions that may save me some time/cash in the process?

Cheers
    Strider
    Greetings @Strider B,
    To actually answer your question the Federal cases you are using may have less capacity than some of the other US brands so you may need to be a bit careful with max loads. Most of my .308 loads use AR2206H. Book max is 45.5 grains with the 150 grain for 2,870 fps in a 24 inch barrel and a load of 44 grains recently chronographed 2,675 fps in my 20" barrel using Winchester cases and Federal primers. This is a sub max load.
    Before doing anything else I suggest that you weigh some of your cases. The Winchester and Remington cases I am using weigh 160 grains to 165 grains where Federal weigh around 185 grains so the latter need a lower max load. To start I would shoot a few rounds at 43 grains of AR2206H (book start load) and chronograph them. Adjust the book velocity by 25 fps per inch of barrel length less than 24 inches to bring it into line with your barrel. Your aim at this point is to come up with a load that develops close to the Hodgdon max velocity of 2,870 fps less 25fps per inch that your barrel is shorter. AR2206H is an extremely flexible powder usually giving good accuracy over a wide range of loads.
    If your barrel is new then providing the load shoots well enough load up a batch and go hunting. Leave load development until your barrel has had at least 100 rounds through it. Trying to develop loads in a new barrel is a waste of components, time and money.
    Feel free to PM me if you need a hand in interpreting your results.
    Regarda Grandpamac.