Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Which is louder, a 12 or 410 bore.

Which is louder, a 12 or 410 bore.

I have to ask because although I have a couple of 12's, I have never encountered a 410.

BACKGROUND
    I am about to declare war on the increasing plague of blackbirds who have decimated my orchard this season but I want to keep the noise level down as low as possible. It is rural farm land and neighbours are not too close nor likely to be upset, but there is a large commercial garden scenario with public attending and buying on site so,,,,,,,,,,

I do not own a 410 nor have any 410 reloading ability. I Do own a 12 bore and can reload.... with ADI Powder AP 70N

I have a .22 but do not want to use either that nor purchase an air rifle because of the proximity of the plastic houses in the commercial gardens. I doubt that the 12 bore would reach the plastic houses.

QUERY

The shooting distance would not exceed 30 metres and I am having to decide if a smaller powder load with say 8 /9 shot in the 12 bore would be more or less

a.... Loud and / or
    b ...effective

than a 410.

Wotcha fink? Suggestions of 12 bore loads also appreciated.

Thank You.

Yeah bird shot ya gotta be pretty close. Be good to do it at nighttime n spotlight there roosting tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kiwi Sapper and Steve123 like this.

What about a 20 gauge? I'm tossing up between 410 or 20 as want something with less kick than a 12.

I saw a second hand suppressed .410 on a shop rack not that long ago, was told it was very very quwiet
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

I found this info

I found this at a site on hearing loss:

SHOTGUN NOISE DATA (DECIBEL AVERAGES)
    .410 Bore, 28" barrel 150dB
    .410 Bore, 26" barrel 150.25dB
    .410 Bore, 18" barrel 156.30dB

20 Gauge, 28" barrel 152.50dB
    20 Gauge, 22" barrel 154.75dB
    Data: freehearingtest.com

Remember sound pressure levels measured in DB use a logarithmic scale. The 2.5 dB increase, w/ 28" barrels, from a .410 to 20 is significantly more than a linear interpretation of 1.6% might lead one to believe.

From Here It is from 2011 though
    Kiwi Sapper likes this.

3dB is only "slightly louder". You need 10dB to double the loudness but bear in mind those proportions are more relevant to your more std sound levels.
    Kiwi Sapper likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    I found this info....SHOTGUN NOISE DATA (DECIBEL AVERAGES)
    .410 Bore, 28" barrel 150dB
    .410 Bore, 26" barrel 150.25dB
    .410 Bore, 18" barrel 156.30dB

...........From Here It is from 2011 though
    and using a "copy and paste" from your post, ( thank you) I found this, https://tinyurl.com/ycadz9ao which I think may be where it all came from.....

".410 Bore 28" barrel 150dB. 26" barrel 150.25dB. 18" barrel 156.30dB.
    20 Gauge 28" barrel 152.50dB. 22" barrel 154.75dB.
    12 Gauge 28" barrel 151.50dB. 26" barrel 156.10dB. 18" barrel 161.50dB."

SO as my Laurona is a 28 ", then if I am to believe the "data" the noise difference is not substantial, which suggests that I should use the 12 bore.

As all I know about modern powder shotgun loads can be written on the head of a pin and still leave room for "The Lord's prayer," is is possible that reducing the powder and shot ratio load would reduce the noise? After all the shooting range is less than 30 metres.

I have been looking at clay loads https://tinyurl.com/yc2d2buq

#8 Bird/Clay 1.09 grains 0.09 2.29
    #8½ Bird/Clay 0.97 grains 0.085 2.16
    #9 Bird/Clay 0.75 grains 0.08 2.03
    which are defined as using 8 / 9 shot. Any load suggestions for a smaller powder (ADI AP 70 N) and 8/9 shot load?

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    air rifle something around 700fps and flat head pellets with a scope zeroed for this distance...
    Than you but not an op.tion.

In same barrel length, the difference is academic. Both are loud. You get silencers for 12gg and 410, but I'd just go for a silenced .22 or a reasonable .177 slug gun. From a contamination point if view, you'd be discharging a lot less lead than with your 12gg. Trust me, you don't want to have to quantify and explain the high levels of lead in soil when you subdivide one day.

I use .410 on the starlings and bloody sparrows this year that decided to try and nest in my chimney.
    I think they are quieter than the 12ga.
    I know that is pretty subjective but they are a little banger versus a bigger one.
    Kiwi Sapper likes this.

.410 is MUCH quieter....much much quieter its a weird sound,the nearest I can get to desribing them is like shooting down a drain pipe....the ultimate quietness is a .410 adaptor in .12ga barrel because ALL the explosion bit happins inside barrel,no flame muzzle blast at all. recoil is next to zero and for under 30 yards a 1/2oz load of #9s should be fine.
    possums up trees do not like .410s at all....
    now .12ga loads arent all equal either.....you could easily load up some 9s at reduced levels...the reduced recoil load dats will work and because there is less powder there is less bang...the modern ASteel powder is VERY VERY loud....my reloads using it were heaps harsher than factory fodder.
    I will look up load data from lyman manual for you if you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bol Tackshin View Post
    .............I'd just go for a silenced .22 or a reasonable .177 slug gun..
    Thank you but not an option.
    Bol Tackshin likes this.

bugger....no data for that powder in my lyman manual...ADI will have data in website.......now my experience with shotgun loads is limited (you know what tech the gear is) Ive found a load near enough to same is good enough...I wont load over what data I find but changing components,eg wads that are similar seems to be ok...and steel loads will be a hell of alot higher pressure than what you are looking at.
    Kiwi Sapper likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    What about a 20 gauge? I'm tossing up between 410 or 20 as want something with less kick than a 12.
    dont do it.......for that reason...just change what loads you are using.a .20ga with 1 1/4oz will boot just as much if not more than the 12 with same....more because gun will probably be lighter...and bore being smaller means its a longer column of shot so could be argued has to be pushed harder to achieve the same velocity for payload.
    clay loads in .12ga dont kick,low recoil loads dont boot....even lighter payload steel loads kick WAAAAY less than heavy ones.
    Happy Jack likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    .410 is MUCH quieter....much much quieter .....................the ultimate quietness is a .410 adaptor in .12ga barrel ..................I will look up load data from lyman manual for you if you need it.
    I had considered a 410 adapter for a 12 ga but observed that the one example on Trade Me last night was more expensive than a brand new 410 single shot shotgun. :>) and my Laurona is an o/u so I would need two >

I appreciate your offer to check the Lyman Manual, however, as I have an unopened 500 grm of ADI AP 70 N, I do not want to have to use another powder, nor to go to a heavier shot than 8 just for blackbirds / avian pests. . But, if any subsonic 12 ga loads with 8 / 9 shot exist, I would be very grateful if you can pm me.
    Thank You.