Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Which is louder, a 12 or 410 bore.

you WONT need to go heavier shot....a payload is a payload reguardless of shot size...you MAY need to add a little filler like cork/carboard to fill wad height correctly.
    will have dig around and find out what I can suss out.the issue with subsonic is those pellets arent going to pack much punch when they hit.

Same barrel length, 12g much louder

I have shot a mate's 410 which is permanently suppressed and it is damn quiet - if he were to sell it I would buy in a heartbeat

Bloody long thing, mind
    Kiwi Sapper likes this.

I bought these Falcon Subsonics a couple years ago to use on possums around the house. They are very quiet compared to a regular hunting load.
    No longer listed on Falcon's website but have seen Eley Subsonic in an unmentionable chain store.

Name:  IMG_1006.JPG
Views: 223
Size:  5.31 MB
    Kiwi Sapper and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    .....................you MAY need to add a little filler like cork/carboard to fill wad height correctly.
    will have dig around and find out what I can suss out.the issue with subsonic is those pellets arent going to pack much punch when they hit.
    I'm using these https://tinyurl.com/yb6zccs9 for the Black powder 12 bore and they can be "cut to length", so no problem with filling.

As for "punch", because the targets are these Name:  Common_Blackbird.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  16.2 KB

not these:
    Name:  9 banded armidillo.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  28.4 KB

and the general distance will be 20, max 30 metres, I don't anticipate a problem >)

Thank you for the offer of the "dig around" re subsonic assistance.
    Last edited by Kiwi Sapper; 24-05-2020 at 11:56 PM.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Target products cowboy action 12 gauge loads would be exactly what you want quiet light and already made.
    mikee, Kiwi Sapper and Micky Duck like this.

so....7/8ths is oh just so much betterer than 6/8ths??????? read that again untill it sinks in....... there are a lot of #9s in 6/8ths of an once.

well lets just say Ive shot a shit load of rounds from wee .410s over the years,with the wee gun its all about range n choke. shot column is an interesting one,matters not a hoot on stationary target/2 demention but on flying one if its short and you spot on alll good,if its long and your lead is wrong it MAY actually help you. at 20-30 yards...yeah nah not an issue.
    Kiwi Sapper likes this.

Thanks guys good point on the shot column, being a rifle shooter the shotgun is a whole different science !

I was hoping to use my 8 bore on a few Ducks but I'm told I can't shoot Game Birds with it ?

Have been using a 28g recently around the house a mate lent me as I was talking .410 & it is nice to use .

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Point of order: 12 is a gauge, .410 is a calibre.

You can down-load 12. You still have muzzle blast to deal with (ie, want a supressor) but that's for personal comfort, anyone at a distance will just hear a whump.

.410 is good but at 30y you're pushing it, keep in mind you're only sending 1/2-3/4oz down range compared to 12ga 7/8-1 1/2+
    (May be able to choke .410 out, I havent had a good play with it)
    Thank you. As I mentioned, I know diddley squat about shotgun loads so load weights would be helpful.

Having been put into a state of "utter befuddlement" because of replies to my query on shot gun "sizing" I made on another site about a shotgun bore gauge............ Umm how about I use 12 bore from now on..........or "Gauge?"

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    As an aside, you might find it useful to "train" your blackbirds to be more helpful regarding which trees they decide to attack. We've had a massive issue with rosellas in the past, similar environment with lots of trees in close proximity to stuff that goes crumple/shatter/or high pitched ahhhhh oh my god someone's shooting!!!!...............
    We had in Jaffasville nad one of my greatest delights was to get two with one shotgun blast.... I do use and collect cd/ dvds but was unaware of the fine mono net to create scarecrows. Good idea thank you

Interesting thread.

Interesting also there isnt much sound difference between a .410 and 12 gauge. We shot .410s for years in the cheery orchard when I was a kid, never wore ear protection, didnt think they were all that loud. Maybe thats why my ears are constantly buzzing now.
    GUN CONTROL IS A TIGHT 5-SHOT GROUP.

to further confusdicate you sapper.....the term .12ga or .20ga or 4 ga etc etc comes from the number of BORE DIAMETRE balls of pure lead to the lb......so a four guage chucked 1/4POUND of lead every time you pulled the trigger...... and to make matters worserer still.alot of modern .12ga shotguns actually ARENT .12ga as such anymore.....they have closer to 10ga barrels...back bored etc etc are fancy terms to say barrel diameter is larger than standard...and russian barrels are tighter than english.....eg my single bakail reads 1/4 choke all the way down the bore...well it does 3" back from where old muzzle was before Mr Hacksaw took the choke off....the SxS that got sent into backyard gunsmith/engineer got similar treatment except he was suposed to stop taking thin slices off end of barrel when he got back to 1/4 choke...but as he didnt know barrel was tight to begin with he removed all choke and still hadnt got to right diametre he THOUGHT he shold be at....so when someone says a bakail has over full choke...its not....its got same AMOUNT of constriction,but it starts out tighter so ends up tighter/smaller hole in end.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    to further confusdicate you sapper.....the term .12ga or .20ga or 4 ga etc etc comes from the number of BORE DIAMETRE balls of pure lead to the lb......so a four guage chucked 1/4POUND of lead every time you pulled the trigger...... and to make matters worserer still.alot of modern .12ga shotguns actually ARENT .12ga as such anymore.....they have closer to 10ga barrels...back bored etc etc are fancy terms to say barrel diameter is larger than standard...and russian barrels are tighter than english.....eg my single bakail reads 1/4 choke all the way down the bore...well it does 3" back from where old muzzle was before Mr Hacksaw took the choke off....the SxS that got sent into backyard gunsmith/engineer got similar treatment except he was suposed to stop taking thin slices off end of barrel when he got back to 1/4 choke...but as he didnt know barrel was tight to begin with he removed all choke and still hadnt got to right diametre he THOUGHT he shold be at....so when someone says a bakail has over full choke...its not....its got same AMOUNT of constriction,but it starts out tighter so ends up tighter/smaller hole in end.

Name:  my_brain_hurts.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  18.0 KB
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I saw a second hand suppressed .410 on a shop rack not that long ago, was told it was very very quwiet
    I have a friend with one
    very quiet, very cool

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    a real quiet option is make an air cannon and load it with size 8 shot...............
    Name:  hmmmm interesting.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  16.6 KB
    Micky Duck likes this.