Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

Like Tree1723Likes

Thread: Bird Predator Control

don't even get me started on sparrows, starlings, pheasants and gawd knows what else.

Quote Originally Posted by kruza View Post
    don't even get me started on sparrows, starlings, pheasants and gawd knows what else.
    kruza, as long as you're started, many are not.
    Some have racks of firearms and mostly all they see is gun oil or a piece of paper. So don't get me started.
    KH
    Heyblast and kruza like this.
    The Voice of Reason, Come let us Reason together...

Quote Originally Posted by kukuwai View Post
    Pretty cool package arrived in the mail today
    Excited to set it up, test it out... see how it goes !!

Will have to wait till the weekend tho...

Reckon I will need to read the instructions

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    A mate has a couple of these at his work and raves about them. he caught 4 possums in one night with one of these. if it was a gift someone thinks you are a good fella
    Kiwi-Hunter and kukuwai like this.

I am staying off steep ground while waiting for a hip repair job – so hope you guys can keep this thread going
    My wife checked around 60 traps yesterday – not a single rat – this predator might have been cleaning out the rat traps - she looked to be well fed – I caught her in a rusty old cage a couple of weeks ago but she busted out when I put it in the back of the car to take her for a ride home
    The Possum Master set on a log ramp has been quite successful - but I had expected the weekly fresh rabbit lure would have pulled in the odd mustilid
    The same day I lost the tabby from the cage, I got a black one that had been seen for a while - in a Steve Allen trap – there is no escape from a SA trap

Name:  IMG-20220730-WA0001 2.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  231.2 KB

Name:  20220706_095818 2.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  245.9 KB

Great job timeout.
    Sorry to hear you have become part of the hippy community at your age.
    Still the new hippie job today will last a hundred years.
    The hills will be a challenge at the start, but life is full of hills , isn't that that truth.
    Get through all those hills up and down and then just to add an insult, they try and put that little mound on top.
    Good to hear your wife is backing you up and doing you trap lines.
    Great wife you have! of course you know that, but they hardly get a mention and the ones that have found a good wife, that's real treasure.
    Take care my friend and not to much couch timeout.
    KH
    The Voice of Reason, Come let us Reason together...

Quote Originally Posted by time out View Post
    I am staying off steep ground while waiting for a hip repair job – so hope you guys can keep this thread going
    My wife checked around 60 traps yesterday – not a single rat – this predator might have been cleaning out the rat traps - she looked to be well fed – I caught her in a rusty old cage a couple of weeks ago but she busted out when I put it in the back of the car to take her for a ride home
    The Possum Master set on a log ramp has been quite successful - but I had expected the weekly fresh rabbit lure would have pulled in the odd mustilid
    The same day I lost the tabby from the cage, I got a black one that had been seen for a while - in a Steve Allen trap – there is no escape from a SA trap

Attachment 202807.

Attachment 202808
    Hind leg on the tabby looks a bit mangled, what’s the go there?
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

She didn’t notice anything odd – maybe the way it was screwed up trying to escape the noose – before rigor mortis set in
    Attached Images Attached Images  

All the best with the hip repair job time out
    Kiwi-Hunter likes this.

set snare?

Finally, been trying to shoot this cat with me air rifle for a couple of weeks.Shot 2 more meantime. Started his top run of farm about 5 days ago. Decided better try something else as he's onto me stalking him and still killing.Name:  IMG_20220808_095426.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  7.58 MB
    Cat trap type unknown, bait part of hare I shot. 4 nights till he touched the trap ( had seen him near trap second day after it was set when checking it.) Visited the nearest water trough upon capture.
    Billbob likes this.

Great you got him in the end, Im still after 2 wild cat around here but they only come around well after dark. been too wet to bait and wait for them

Try the rabbit destress sound. It brought grey cat into range. Even when suspect of me. If they are hunting rabbits as a food source shood work. Name:  Screenshot_20220808_112849_com.wfr.animalsound2.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  587.5 KB

must be a good feeling to see an animal who's life you may have just saved.

another one in a trap in different spot [:x] This cat is from the house cat that dissappear on farm for few years before it came back to retire at house.
    It was so much alike I had to carry it back in trapName:  trap02.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  6.77 MB and make sure the house cat was sleeping in its usual spot. ( its old now and sleeps most of day and night)
    time to shoot a couple of hares and/or rabbits and set up a snare run at the river flats, see how big the problem is.
    Its no wonder the animals are so flighty for stalking.
    8 days from trap set till capture.
    Kiwi-Hunter likes this.

A learning experience about our compost bin – tucked away beside some garden shrubs. Decided to shift it and cut some shrubs back. Found about half a barrow load of fresh dirt under a shrub on the back side of the bin. Got to work with the chainsaw and cut a few branches off – then saw an enormous rat run out of a hole under the bin and off to the boundary. Pulled the compost bin off the pile and found a network of tunnels through and under the compost bin. Put a couple of traps in the garden and one in the base of the newly positioned bin – he came back and tripped the bin trap but escaped. I put a fenn6 in a black Phillproof tunnel beside the boundary – sure enough – last night he took a walk on the rusty fenn6 foot plate – no escape from a fenn6. I reckon he is a size 8 Norway plus a big tail. I guess he enjoyed a warm dry winter with fresh food every day – he taught me a lot about compost bin rats. But what I don’t know is how he shifted so much dirt – how do they do it?

Name:  IMG-20220812-WA0001 (2).jpg
Views: 367
Size:  231.2 KB

Name:  20220815_090101 2.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  230.5 KB

Name:  20220815_090657 2.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  229.8 KB