Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

Like Tree1723Likes

Thread: Bird Predator Control

Quote Originally Posted by kukuwai View Post
    They say the smell of a mustelid is the best lure for a mustelid.....

Its amazing how many times I have done this now.

Caught a weasel and then left it on the top of the box (minus its tail of course) only to return a day or to later to another one in the trap.

Interestingly the bait in this trap was a fake egg so they do work Well enough too fool the first one at least

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    I had one run in front of the truck when taking dog for a walk down river last night. Nasty little f%^kers!
    kruza likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    I had one run in front of the truck when taking dog for a walk down river last night. Nasty little f%^kers!
    Bloody hard to hit them with the truck too ah Mikee. I have a couple of attempts tho

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    kruza likes this.
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

I have been very inactive for the last few months after a hip job – I still can’t touch my toes so clearing traps is out for a while – I have been checking a couple of traps down a track beside our street – I have caught hundreds down there over the last couple of years but for the last few months it has been very quiet - a couple of good trap sites have caught nothing – but three days back I got a young rat and then another one the next day – so the young ones are out on a learning experience – they often come back in big numbers in February and March
    We still run a couple of tunnels in the garden for rabbits and get a few – but the large Norways are suckers for walking over a Fenn 6 in an underground tunnel – they also check out a Victor pro in the compost bin
    A rusty old Victor pro in a hedge up the street is still doing the job – even with no lure!

Name:  IMG-20221006-WA0001.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  195.4 KB

Name:  IMG-20220911-WA0001 2.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  184.4 KB

Name:  IMG-20221017-WA0000 2.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  240.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Boar Freak View Post
    Try half a rabbit hanging from fence just out of reach with 1-2 legholds just below it set fine and covered carefully.

Works for me.
    this man is on to it -exactly the way I was trained and how we used to teach cat trapping before it all got to political - trap site can be enhanced with hazing - quite simply place any branches -bunches of vegetation to lead cat to bait and hidden traps - use two side by side to make sure you anchor the bugger - rabbit really good or fresh poultry dont bother plucking - just hang it up - also works against base of tree - camo trap well - traps victor no 1 okay victor no 2 better - hare trigger them most important - dont bother with cages unless cat has been a pet and dumped - wild cats require a real smart mindset - dont waste your time with kill traps and I say that with 35 years under belt - wild cats to bloody smart usually - camo traps - hazing the way to go -
    kukuwai, Finnwolf and kruza like this.

time out that Victor on photo 3 looks well used

Hopefully that hip is being well looked after ?
    kukuwai likes this.

Hopefully you bounce back OK @time out.
    I’ve noticed a real drop off in catches lately since October-November, I guess things will change when the weather gets colder and wetter.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Took my 7 month old buddy for a possum hunt
    he was all excited and happy until I killed one of the possums
    he took off and just sit in the car looking very sad...

Name:  20221204_143019_resized.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  718.1 KB

Name:  20221204_152222_resized.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  288.4 KB
    Dundee, Kiwi-Hunter and Ned like this.

I target lawn digging rabbits in the back garden using a Fenn6 in a couple of tunnels - I never know what might show up – a rabbit or a Norway – but I couldn’t believe it yesterday when I rolled back the cover and found a ferret.
    About 30m away from our house and 10m away from our neighbours back door. About 200m away from the estuary where I got eight ferrets a couple of years ago – so it looks like they are back.
    No doubt more family members around – but a wet night and nothing today.
    A no smell female – so I put it in the freezer for PFBOP taxidermy.
    I got a ferret at the park a couple of weeks back – lure was rotting rabbit and an old egg – haven’t seen one there for a year or so.
    Name:  IMG-20230226-WA0000 2.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  245.4 KB

Name:  20230216_122701.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  241.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

If you ever get a chance to hear Cam Speedy talking predator control, go and listen to him. Just had 1.5 hrs and it was blimmin brilliant.

A second ferret down in the garden – couple of days after the first one – the Fenn6 trap disappeared out of the tunnel – he was caught across the shoulders and had four feet on the ground so ripped out the ground anchor pins and gone – dog had a good look around but couldn’t find it in our garden or the neighbours garden – I was a bit worried about the size of animal that could rip out the pins – so didn’t ask all the neighbours – just in case it was a pet rabbit LOL
    Couple of days later the neighbour shifted his car and found the missing trap and ferret under the car – thank goodness it was a ferret.
    We have since ripped out 40m of hedge and replaced it with a wood fence - so I doubt the animals will be so keen to move through without cover

Name:  IMG-20230322-WA0000 (2) 3.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  267.5 KB

Feral cat caught a while ago - just by its finger nails! Then a hawk finished it off.
    Name:  cat #27.JPG
Views: 179
Size:  583.5 KB
    And a black bird caught - just goes to show not all traps are perfect or are they?
    Name:  20.3 Blackbird trap1.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  417.1 KB
    EmpireSafaris likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kruza View Post
    another one in a trap in different spot [:x] This cat is from the house cat that dissappear on farm for few years before it came back to retire at house.
    It was so much alike I had to carry it back in trapAttachment 203564 and make sure the house cat was sleeping in its usual spot. ( its old now and sleeps most of day and night)
    time to shoot a couple of hares and/or rabbits and set up a snare run at the river flats, see how big the problem is.
    Its no wonder the animals are so flighty for stalking.
    8 days from trap set till capture.
    How many do you want to sell those dead cats you trapped?
    MarkN likes this.
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

Rats, rats and more rats

In my woodshed, I used 4 rat poisons - Pest Off, Double Tap, and Ratabate.
    Ratabate from Conovations was what they ate and left the other poisons for the smaller rats.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19rD...usp=share_link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q14...usp=share_link
    Dundee and time out like this.

Great videos @BillyXmas546 – very clear in the dark of night in your wood shed – cute wee rats having their last feed of Ratabate paste on that piece of wood – certainly tells the story about rat bait preferences. I imagine the wood shed is now clear of rats.

There was a good programme on "The Sunday" about feral cats.We sat Max down and told him to bloody listen!
    Name:  DSC06703.JPG
Views: 118
Size:  164.4 KB
    This pile was from Mt Cook National park.
    Name:  DSC06704.JPG
Views: 129
Size:  162.6 KB
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive