Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Organic farm

Having a rum, so the left/right/back/front, what ever side/area of brain that's responsible for random thoughts are well primed.

Cement projectile in a wax sabot.
    Oz hardwood (heavy and dense) - actually might give this a go myself.....
    Small, maybe sieved local stones in a wax matrix/sabot.
    cotton cloth, wound into cartridge then wax over top/through

No real ideas for a centerfire/rimfire though....

Also full support for the financial side of organics. Not 100% sold on the benefits to the consumer, but can appreciate the perceived benefits (and some do definitely taste much better). 100% against the ram down throat, hairy, unwashed, no understanding of world/local/tribe economics type folk that seem to push organics
    Boaraxa and Tommy like this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Crushed up iron stone or screened ironstone mite get close

Pepper corns in a shotgun shell. Game will come pre seasoned.
    Beaker, Steve123 and 223nut like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Pepper corns in a shotgun shell. Game will come pre seasoned.
    No no no no. I rooted a SKB U/O doing this. Not enough weight had a wad stuck halfway and the next bulged the barrel.
    gadgetman and Steve123 like this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    No no no no. I rooted a SKB U/O doing this. Not enough weight had a wad stuck halfway and the next bulged the barrel.
    Not sure how the lack of weight would cause the wad to be stuck. The pepper corns should go out in front of the wad, then the powder pushes the lot out. Maybe add salt and other spices to taste?
    kiwijames and Beaker like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Not sure how the lack of weight would cause the wad to be stuck. The pepper corns should go out in front of the wad, then the powder pushes the lot out. Maybe add salt and other spices to taste?
    Was a long while ago and thinking about it now I'm unsure of the logic but I do know for sure the barrel is toast with a nice big bulge.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Was a long while ago and thinking about it now I'm unsure of the logic but I do know for sure the barrel is toast with a nice big bulge.
    Maybe forgot the powder bit? Primer didn't have enough juice to push it through.

Note: I've never done this and hadn't heard of anyone doing it before @kiwijames.

Rock salt , pepper corns, with a few chilli flakes all mixed with melted butter to form a solid.... Like the idea!
    gadgetman likes this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Made some confetti loads for a stag do event once, tried them first luckily. Mild pop confetti out the end wad hanging out end of barrel, barrel full of unburnt powder
    Not enough resistance to get the pressure up to make the smokeless powder burn. Made up some bp blanks instead much more fun.
    Beaker likes this.

Yea you need the weight, if you remove an OZ of lead you need to get a substitute, of the same weight or at least close,
    wax and iron stone said above, mostly its waste of time, but its fun to play with shotguns and load up blanks,
    what else is natural and dense, and small enough to blast out a 12 bore. sum types of seeds I bet.
    lime is heavy, wonder if you can make lime and iron sand pellets, like buck shot, perhaps bake them hard, like concrete,
    Tommy likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    You guys are nuts. Just hit the little fuckers with a big "organic" stick.
    Last edited by Rushy; 11-05-2016 at 07:26 PM.
    gadgetman and Beaker like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    You guys are nuts. Just hit the little fuckers with a big "organic" stick.
    Of course we're nuts @Rushy. Life is far to short to be boring and normal, ... so they tell me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilli_Dog View Post
    You can get lead free air gun pellets, not sure exactly what they are though
    they are called PBA pellets (Performance Ballistic Alloy) they are very light and shoot very fast. but they are made by Gamo so they are crap. they are too light to do any real damage and they have been known to damage the internals of your gun (springer) because it is almost like dry firing the gun when shooting them.

Consider it more from a business perspective than an ethical one. If the investment pays back better than current non-organic model then it's got to be worth the consideration. There is a push in Hawkes Bay to be more organic with our food crops and I'm interested. My interest is more from a value added perspective than a lifestyle one though.
    I think most dairy farmers in NZ pondered converting to organics after the recent announcement. However, it take 3 years of 'farming organically' before you are 'certified organic' and recieve the $9/kgms. Fonterra will pay you a little bit extra during the process. Unfortunately, to become organic you typically have to reduce your milk production by about 1/3, some costs will reduce but not enough to make up for the drop in production. (Most farmers will not have the cash reserves to fund this) Then........you finally achieve 'certified organic status', only to find that conventional milk prices have recovered and organic milk supply has increased and we are back to a $1.50/KgMS premium (not worth it)
    R93 and Steve123 like this.
    If my work annoys me, I cull them