Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Organic farm

Rock salt in shotty shells, small amount of moisture and sit on window sill in the warm dry for a couple of weeks, i know of a farmer who accidentally killed his neighbours dog shooting it with one of these.
    P38 likes this.

Cross bow. Its still metal but because it is retrievable should solve your problem.

Doesn't sound like metal-free is that plausible, but I looked into this someone who wanted to go lead-free for pest control. Hornady NTX (lead-free/non-toxic) ammo is available in .22WMR and .17HMR, CCI does a lead-free .22LR but Sportways don't bring it in to NZ. He ended up settling on alloy air rifle pellets for smaller critters and Barnes TSX .223 handloads for bigger ones. I haven't used Barnes before but they look like they have some impressive expansion.

Use steel shot in shotgun or 17hmr with 15.5gr NTXs (copper and tin, no lead).
    Or if you want centerfire Hornady and of course Barnes have many lead free bullets.

I work helping NZ companies export. These days mainly in organic products. Value added organics is where NZ needs to position itself.
    Plain and simple the worldwide market for organics over the next 10years will outstrip supply.

Fonterra isn't making it easy though, they killed their organic program 5 years ago to only now get back into it. They need to show a long term stable commitment to organic.

Did kosher milk a few years ago, had a rabbi on farm making sure we didn't milk any pigs or camels. Organic, kosher, halal milk is the way to go, must be worth shitloads. Did you know all alcohol is kosher

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich007 View Post
    I think most dairy farmers in NZ pondered converting to organics after the recent announcement. However, it take 3 years of 'farming organically' before you are 'certified organic' and recieve the $9/kgms. Fonterra will pay you a little bit extra during the process. Unfortunately, to become organic you typically have to reduce your milk production by about 1/3, some costs will reduce but not enough to make up for the drop in production. (Most farmers will not have the cash reserves to fund this) Then........you finally achieve 'certified organic status', only to find that conventional milk prices have recovered and organic milk supply has increased and we are back to a $1.50/KgMS premium (not worth it)
    So some of these cockies would have a chance to stop with the over stocking? As for milk recovering, we'll see. By the time it does councils or more importantly the public will be playing mary hell with the cockies over water...

I shoot organic spots, they don't want pure copper as that is a bigger contaminator than lead.

Organic itself, sweet money maker and the market is only going to get bigger. Faster. Just think dairy farms that aren't killing the country by having half the stock numbers but earning the same..... Silly not to.

I shoot on two organic farms near home regularly for possums and hares using a .22 Neither of the owners have ever mentioned lead being a problem and I've been doing it for 13 years now.

Did the farmer say lead was a issue? Curious...

Quote Originally Posted by kiwichrish View Post
    I shoot on two organic farms near home regularly for possums and hares using a .22 Neither of the owners have ever mentioned lead being a problem and I've been doing it for 13 years now.

Did the farmer say lead was a issue? Curious...
    Yip was about the only rule eh
    Ended up not worrying about it. Between the houses on the boundary it wasnt worth the risk

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

so 338 edge is out of the question?

Ejected
    I am confused as to what the question is but I am sure the answer is to use an AR15.