Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Bloody Poachers!

I hate poaching and have no time for those who think its ok. Glad to hear you have a proactive cop down there Josh C

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by horihunter View Post
    Glad to hear you have a proactive cop down there Josh C
    Big ups to the local police for taking a proactive stance on this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by horihunter View Post
    I hate poaching and have no time for those who think its ok. Glad to hear you have a proactive cop down there Josh C
    Horihunter what about bending the rules with your dogs on a "non dog block" . ?

Bending the rules in a hunt situation pertaining to dogs is usually to safe guard wild life .Pig dogs no way -pointing dogs in control bend them a little at you own risk.If there are other reasons the Doc Nazi's have let us know

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    Bending the rules in a hunt situation pertaining to dogs is usually to safe guard wild life .Pig dogs no way -pointing dogs in control bend them a little at you own risk.If there are other reasons the Doc Nazi's have let us know
    I agree el borracho, I have been known to bend those rules , but do admit fell ,better with my dog out of the bush and on the tops . Would be the demise of a deer dog to grab a kiwi . I am very strict when are in the bush , he's at heel .

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    not a sausage ,unbelievable eh. Yes the chopper was on the ground in or near whites landing I think it s called in the Taupo area .While one of the guys was off hunting and the others around the machine or near a shot went off and the pilot Lyndsay yelled get down someone is shooting at us -the tail boom was hit .When the two guys showed themselves they threaten to burn the chopper and my cowardly friends gave the keys up .A walk out and trip to the cops and a few hours later they had the keys .
    Now I say my cowardly friends because they would all be saying if this happened to someone else the macho bullshit about not surrendering anything would flow like the runs and when it came to the crunch shat themselves and gave the Keys up.This happened around 12-13 years ago
    If its whites Clearing they have been battling poachers for years.... One of the boys ended up in Jail for taking pot shots at choppers in the air if my memory serves me correct, The dudes I met walking through seamed like a good crew, Offered to horse back the gear in if we went through again....But that was years ago and before he was jailed.
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

sturg4
    We got sprung once by a couple of DOC guys lifting a livey out of Whites clearing a good few years back....It turned out the two DOC men were up on the clearing checking their own deer trap...They as it turned out they were engaged in a trapping venture with the locals around the area.

Well my shooter then was John Tahurei a local Tuhoe boy. . And we were working out of Maungapohatu and his father ran this property.

Well John leapt from the chopper to defend our honor and tell the DOC that they were actually trespassing on his land...it seemed from listening in on it all that his great grandmother had been TIPPED UP on this spot by the local Kamatua about 100 years ago when she was out innocently collecting kiwi feathers for her cloak.

Then the rest of the hangers on around the area turned up to lay out there individual claims for the deer we had.

Meanwhile it was by then it was getting as dark as hell, with no side looking like winning the argument I decided to drop the offending deer off at the dark pen up the gully on the edge of the clearing. It was as black as a cow up this gully and I got a bad case of disorientation and loss of control and had to button off the deer which plowed into the ground and was as dead as a bloody mackere after that l.

Most everyone was ready to turn on me then, they thought I had killed the deer then just out of spite. I grabbed my shooter making sure the ar15 was real close and we got out of there and flew back over the tops to Maungapohatu.

Then end of a perfectly horrible day....Actually one of the few days that I seriously doubted whether it was all worth it.

Brings back memories ,we used to ride the horses in throu whites drop into the Waiau river past the huts Totara , Central ,i no ive missed one hut- cant remember its name lol on past the blue slip to Te waiotukapiti hut ,there was a wood framed culler's hut covered in clear plastic we'd often use a few ks further up ,on the left bank tucked in the trees on a low terrace .Then pack the deer back out on horse back to the road ,great trips in an out of there.

same place for sure .These guys that shot the boom went free as far as the offender story went to me and I saw him a few days after they went to court

sturg4
    It has always appeared damned strange to me that we do apply the label Poacher to someone hunting pigs, deer, chamois, or thar.

Deer and pigs and such like are vermin according to the powers that be in this country and we allowed them to be treated as such.

I would much rather see a block crawling with hunters without permits than see it recieve the status of having a high deer population and being treated by Helicopter search and destroy missions and a regular poisoning regime as sika blocks in the Kaweka and Kaimanawa blocks recieve now.

DOC'S mission statements are quite clear about this fact "There is no place in our forests for Introduced Vermin"

Get rid of the vermin, no more problems from poachers.

Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    It has always appeared damned strange to me that we do apply the label Poacher to someone hunting pigs or deer.

Deer and pigs are vermin according to the powers that be in this country and we have allowed them to be treated as such.

I would much rather see a block crawling with hunters without permits than see it recieve the status of having a high deer population and being treated by Helicopter search and destroy missions and a regular poisoning regime as sika blocks in the Kaweka and Kaimanawa blocks recieve now.

DOC'S mission statements are quite clear about this fact "There is no place in our forests for Introduced Vermin"

Get rid of the vermin, no more problems from poachers.
    I take it you are talking on Public land without a permit? Private land is another thing again and poachers you are for sure!
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

sturg4
    I have been and am still a farmer myself but I have got to admit that the old cockatoo is a pretty versatile thinker when it comes to game animals...

Way back....When we were culling the cocky would discover a mob of deer on their crop and the telephone would run hot "You bastards are responsible for these deer..."You guys let them go in NZ and you are supposed to be keeping them under control...You should be sacked for not keeping them under control They are eating all my tucker I cant afford to feed all your bloody deer.

A few years later during the deer boom..." Dont you bastards shoot any of my deer they are eating my tucker so they belong to me..You poaching bastards have no respect for another mans property"

The present...For Christ sake start shooting the bloody hinds again and reduce the numbers, there 30 bloody hinds on the crop the other night when I went up to move the sheep. You hunt on the property I expect you to keep the deer numbers down. I can afford to feed all those bloody deer.

I take great delight in teasing my farmer friends about how fast they are on their feet when it comes to looking after there own interests and how I am glad I have been in the game long enough to see such radical changes in position and smart about turns from them.

Wasnt it Barry Crump that described them so well as "those moaners from down on the mudflats".
    Last edited by Scribe; 27-07-2012 at 02:02 PM.
    veitnamcam and Pointer like this.

Scribe, your point of view doen't suprise me at all after reading the last few chapters of your book...great stuff mate, absolutely great stuff. Well done to Willie for his job on the west coast..
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Scribe, we call some of them down here, "wind swept gully folk"...

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    Scribe, your point of view doen't suprise me at all after reading the last few chapters of your book...great stuff mate, absolutely great stuff. Well done to Willie for his job on the west coast..
    Dougie you are a disappointment, it took me 10 months to write, a year to rewrite and edit it and you have devoured it in hours really.

Couldnt you make it last a week. Anyway I am glad you enjoyed it.

The reason I wrote that book is that every sorry assed bastard that ever went to Vietnam seemed to have sat down afterwards and wrote a book. These books are all 'Poor me, look at what that nasty old war did to me' books.

Sorry I just realized I have hijacked someones thread

Sorry just realized I have hijacked someone else's thread.

Oh and Dougie parcel arrived safely in the mail a few minutes ago.

When I read those sorry exhibits of the writers art I began to wonder if we had all attended the same war. So I said to myself I will write about the war as I saw it from "a hunters point of view". Hell we were all volenteers there is absolutely no point in going around moaning and gnashing your teeth about getting a rough deal.

Laugh and the world laughs with you, cry and you cry alone.

Sorry I have just realized I have hijacked this thread.
    Last edited by Scribe; 27-07-2012 at 03:33 PM.
    DAF and veitnamcam like this.