Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Bloody Poachers!

sturg4
    [QUOTE=NZHTR;29454]
    Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    I agree with much of what you say, But I must say that am forced to take the side of those grossly misaligned persons called poachers.

Until a court of law proves beyond reasonable doubt that they are poachers as they stand accused of being.[/QUOTE

One sunday back in 1988 ,at the southern end off Rangitoto range ,i was sitting in a friends dinning room table drinking a coffee early in the morning ,my mate is a hunter a farmer and owned the farm i was at, we had just saddled up for a hunt up in the range so a last brew then hit the hill ,just the night before we had chatted about the trouble he was having from poachers both land and air on the farm , my mate enjoyed seeing deer close to the house an had never shot any, we could hear the buzz of the copper in the distance getting louder ,then a machine a peered over his side boundary and about 900 meters from his house and a cross the large gully on the farm ,they shot two hind's hooked them and left ,the markings on the machine where covered up ,now this is were ive gone wrong it seems ive always coincided those ass holes as Poaches ,but now it seems that because who ever they were and never having a day in court they my not be , what ever they mite not be due to a lack of conviction ,they still are couple of low life thieving c*nts and i reckon i don't need a court of law to convince me other wise .Can't help thinking there just may be a shooter or pilot on this forum that can recall the events down around that area way back then ?,Nar can't be im just being paranoid .Food for thought thou the jury is out on this one at the moment.
    There were three helicopters operating around Rangitoto at about that time. Hang on, all of them were operated and belonged to farmers.

So find the nearest airport...locate a helicopter operator and go and piss in his jerrycans it seem to make some people feel better.

Ow sensitive , you win this is going no were im out . shout ya a beer after the Auck shoot thou but dont put it down unattended some one mite piss in it

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by NZHTR View Post
    Ow sensitive , you win this is going no were im out . shout ya a beer after the Auck shoot thou but dont put it down unattended some one mite piss in it
    I can look after me beer, But I would be to scared to leave my vehicle unattended with some of these people around.

Its a touchy one this.
    When I was younger and a lot sillier I used to poach the hell out of a local forestry block.
    This not a block owned by some local farmer its owned buy a global company. It actually has public access easement rights on it but the local bigwigs have deemed it a "bosses block" and its locked up tight because its full of deer.

Anyway its a past life now. Haven't been up there for years. Value my FAL too much.

I have never and never will poach somebody's own personal property.
    If and when I have my own block blatant poachers would probably go missing

Yes Scribe I have had things not go exactly to plan on a perfectly legal public land hunt and ended up on private property,In that situation if the land owner had seen us Im sure he would have offered us a ride and any dry clothes he had. One look at us would have eliminated any thoughts that these two wet hypothermic individuals were poaching his land.

I cant profess to know anything like as much as Scribe and R93 about the helicopter industry. If I had a largish block with deer on it a heli flying low over it in inclement weather would be duely noted.
    If it was flying over(low hunting) every couple of days there would be some kind of explanation required or shit would turn nasty.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Its a touchy one this.
    When I was younger and a lot sillier I used to poach the hell out of a local forestry block.
    This not a block owned by some local farmer its owned buy a global company. It actually has public access easement rights on it but the local bigwigs have deemed it a "bosses block" and its locked up tight because its full of deer.

Anyway its a past life now. Haven't been up there for years. Value my FAL too much.

I have never and never will poach somebody's own personal property.
    If and when I have my own block blatant poachers would probably go missing

Yes Scribe I have had things not go exactly to plan on a perfectly legal public land hunt and ended up on private property,In that situation if the land owner had seen us Im sure he would have offered us a ride and any dry clothes he had. One look at us would have eliminated any thoughts that these two wet hypothermic individuals were poaching his land.

I cant profess to know anything like as much as Scribe and R93 about the helicopter industry. If I had a largish block with deer on it a heli flying low over it in inclement weather would be duely noted.
    If it was flying over(low hunting) every couple of days there would be some kind of explanation required or shit would turn nasty.
    True this is when wiser heads prevail and always used to.....but during those heady days when a good hind was worth $2500 farmers used threats, the trespass act and attempted prosecutions to control who hunted the large blocks of Public land around there own properties.

Its got better now that no one is catching and few deer are shot by machines nowadays... but I know a guy with a little 300c sitting in his shed who likes to crank it up and go for a pig hunt once in awhile. he said to me recently "I am damned if I know how you guys put up with it. Every time I get back from a hunt the phone is nearly ringing off the wall, ( He is a Farmer himself) bloody cockys have seen me poaching their properties. Bloody Doc have seen me on public land...Bloody police are ringing me because the cockys are complaining".

Most Cocky's cannot be convinced that the helicopter they see in the distance is not actually on their land. Is there some sort of range finder that a farmer could get that would convince them that the helicopter 10,000 metres away cannot possiby be hunting deer on their own tiny piece of the mudflats.

sturg4
    What might have been

Epitaph.

HERE LIES SCRIBE

SOMEONE PISSED IN HIS FUEL.

THEY GOT THE WRONG FUCKING GUY.

Name:  pink-funeral-wreath-2401[1].jpg
Views: 1260
Size:  64.6 KB
    gimp, Scribe and Dundee like this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by Malhunting View Post
    Make no mistake the owner of that truck was poaching on my block, he had no right to be there and should be trespassed, i hope the police followed through with what they said.
    The block is Lease hold and is part of the Gore NZDA blocks leased by Glenaray Station, now if they were members of the club they would of only had to book the block to hunt it and if they had a permit for Waikaia Forest they would of received a map showing them the boundarys of this block as a no go. Thats if they had a permit for Waikaia, i doubt they did.
    We know they were in the block simply because with fresh snow on the ground we just followed their foot prints from their truck straight into our block.
    As much as this sort of thing pisses me off an can end up in accidental shootings i wouldn't damage their vehicle but it would be tempting.
    Another thing worth considering is if they did shoot one of us whilst they were poaching is it still accidental or should charges be bumped up?
    Yep, best left with the police. I also hope they go for a skate, tossers!

Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    If you have got the proof take it to court. Who made you judge and jury...are you the sort that would piss in my jerrycans of fuel because you supect I might be a poacher. Or pick up a stone and damage the paintwork on someones vehicle for the same reason.

Perhaps hes not poaching perhaps you just want to trespass him to keep him out of your favourite hunting area or try and scare him off by damaging his property.

Ever been lost up on the tops and cut down the wrong creek through DOC land and ended up on someones farm...With a rifle in your hands that two cases of poaching and if this hasnt happened to you yet you havnt done very much hunting.

The same thing happens in low cloud with helicopters...you may be forced to fly across properties at low level under the cloud to get out of the area...Farmer paranoia and you lose your.... Pilots Licence for Low flying. Your Wild Animal Recovery Licence for poaching.
    and the courts may prosecute and sentence you to whatever they see fit for breaking the law. And pilots you say would take this sort of risk to chase someones deer into the fence just out of spite.

If you have proof of poaching and you arent just living on rumours take it to the courts.... and next time you go for a ride in a chopper just have a think about whats going to happen when the flame goes out cos someone pissed in the fuel.

Oh and by the way I do have land and I do let people on to hunt on it.
    No I am not the kind of person to damage peoples gear....but I am the kind that if I had poachers taking animals to try and get it on camera etc..

I have no beef with someone flying low over the property but I do with those that take deer from that said property with number taped over to try and avoid being caught....or taking deer from an area they are not supposed to be.....and its farken hard to get footage good enough to stand up in court so some are risking it.

You say you let hunters on your land ....but is that free for all or do you expect to be asked so you have an idea who is on your place?

I in know way condone damaging gear but when people have there farm getting hammered (It happens land and air) and they have not been able to catch the offenders red handed I can see how they can get all twisted...
    Last edited by leathel; 30-07-2012 at 11:02 AM.
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

Small minority ruining it for everyone else. Happens in every game.

Some idiots drove through the back of our farm spotlighting on Saturday night. Instead of opening the 6 or 7 gates they drove through, they rammed them with their truck, bending most and f&*ing the hinges on two, and left them wide open. They weren't even padlocked! Two boundary gates were left wide open, and it was only lucky I went through first thing the next morning and found them, that a few hundred of our ewes weren't on the neighbours swedes helping themselves to a feed.

We let hunters onto our place, only one party of hunters allowed per weekend for safety, and have never turned anyone away if they've asked and arent someone we've had previous issues with. Only last week, a local asked if he could go for a deer in the evening or morning, and was given permission to go to certain spots due to our sheep being set stock in certain blocks. I went out with some mates spotlighting possums for a few hours, and on our way home about midnight we caught up with this guy on his quad with a couple of mates, driving around the farm with a spotlight and high powered rifles "looking for possums"...bullsh*t! Worst thing was, he tried to laugh it off, and said my old man had let him go spotlighting!

But when guys who ask are still breaking the rules, where do you draw the line? When this sort of sh*t happens, how do you think it makes a land owner feel? And when we start locking the gates and turning people away, guess who's going to be the called all the names under the sun and end up with a poaching problem that's completely out of hand.

Some people just need to pull their f'n heads in and speak up if they know their mates are up to no good
    Last edited by JoshC; 30-07-2012 at 12:11 PM.

sturg4
    I have many problems with people that interfere with others whose enjoyment of our land is a right not a priviledge.

Just a couple of things that I want to mention here...Farmers are going to need in the future every person on their side they can get.
    They should not be in the game of interfering or trying to make life difficult for hunters or fishermen...many Farmers control the access to many thousand of Hects of Public Land..Throught paper roads and the queens chain.

More and more access points into Public Land have DOC gates on them now. You park at the gate and get your gear sorted and prepare to walk in and hello up rolls a Four wheel Drive and someone with a key. You say "where are you going mate" and sure enough he's going to your hunting spot. You say where did you get the Key..He says "Oh I have got a mate at DOC who lets me have the key to all of there blocks". "So are we now in the game of providing hunting areas for the new elite of this country".

Huge areas of what was public Land and public forest, Have become part of treaty settlements... Kaingaroa Forest...Over the last couple of years the public has been excluded from this Forests...Like Farmers I dont think Forest owners should be in such a hurry to make enemies of the public be they fishermen. hunters, or armed trampers.

And yes, I do not live on my block of land and the hunting is pretty much free range to the locals. I used to breed a lot of pigs and let them go just to add my bit for the hunting world.

I was coming back through the gorge next to my place one day when I see this big Maori walking along the roadside with a good pig on his back but making hard work of it. I pulled over and said to him I will sit with the pig while you take the dog and go and get your car. I said "thats a nice pig". He said "its a bloody beauty, I was driving through the gorge yesterday in the Milk Tanker and I saw him rooting down on the flat, so this morning I went and got my mates dog and caught it.
    I said "its one of my pigs I bred and let go awhile back" He said "Nah its a wild pig". I said "its got an earmark".
    The guy followed me back to my place for a brew and a yarn and I got more of a thrill out of this guy who wasnt a hunter catching my pig than I would ever have myself catching it myself. I would meet this guy on the street, at the local marae at Anzac day and on other occasions and he always treated me better than his very best cuzzie bro.

When our ancestor brought game animals and birds to this country they did not intend for them to become the preserve of only the rich landowning class...Fish and Game shall belong to no man except those who take it legally.

How does a person take fish or game legally when he has been trespassed, his access blocked, and the paper road and the queens chain fenced and the gates slammed shut in his face.
    Last edited by Scribe; 30-07-2012 at 12:55 PM.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Well put Scribe !!!

R93
    Some hunters are as annoying as engaging the clutch on a 300. As Josh pointed out, they allow people access to hunt their land, yet some complete assholes rather barrel thru unlocked gates.
    There has to be some way of regulating access IMO or its a free for all.
    I hate it when some idiot knows there is someone else in an area but still walks into it with intention of hunting it when there is tons of other country to lurk around in.

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Lucky lots of shooters use those small diameter bullets nowdays. Some of these "shots" fired in this thread have landed pretty close to to their own feet.

I find the situation in central Otago, where a group of land owners have got approval from the police serve a trespass notice on individuals for "being on" back country roads, quite frightening. Roads are public places and to be served a trespass notice while in a public place is crazy. They appear to be saying that just because an individual is in an area they are up to no good. Some may be. But not everyone.
    Talking of small diameter bullets and feet. Now I have a friend who used to draw beautiful cartoons for us. The huts used to be decorated with them..Some done on airdrop cartons with a piece of charcoal out of the fire. Gradually they were all taken by Hunters. Chris was the Bonus hunter on our block until he put a small calibre, fast expanding, frangible bullet... IE 222..50gr through the thickest point of his foot.
    If it had have been a bigger calibre he would have been better off. It would not have exanded quite as rapidly, by the time it had punched through bullers and sock it was a big little projectile going fast...The Human Foot has... 26 bones, 33 joints, 107 ligaments, 19 muscles and tendons. What a mess.
    This is one of the cartoons done by Chris. They all have a story to them...I dont remember them all unfortunatley. I will post some more of them in the magazine section if people want to see them....... I dont remember the story behind this one. I just know it was about a poaching incident when some of the Cullers on the North Eastern block poached the NW block.
    We were handicapped on the NW side because we had to take tails and ears whereas the NE only had to take tails. So when they poached the stations on our side they also took tails and ears and we always got the blame for it. But we were all Gentlemen in those days...the station owners finally figured out it was the guys from across the range doing it so then we ripped in and shot the places up knowing taking tails and ears knowing Name:  2012-07-30-1450-34_edited.jpg
Views: 993
Size:  684.5 KBthey would get the blame for that too.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Small minority ruining it for everyone else. Happens in every game.

Some idiots drove through the back of our farm spotlighting on Saturday night. Instead of opening the 6 or 7 gates they drove through, they rammed them with their truck, bending most and f&*ing the hinges on two, and left them wide open. They weren't even padlocked! Two boundary gates were left wide open, and it was only lucky I went through first thing the next morning and found them, that a few hundred of our ewes weren't on the neighbours swedes helping themselves to a feed.

We let hunters onto our place, only one party of hunters allowed per weekend for safety, and have never turned anyone away if they've asked and arent someone we've had previous issues with. Only last week, a local asked if he could go for a deer in the evening or morning, and was given permission to go to certain spots due to our sheep being set stock in certain blocks. I went out with some mates spotlighting possums for a few hours, and on our way home about midnight we caught up with this guy on his quad with a couple of mates, driving around the farm with a spotlight and high powered rifles "looking for possums"...bullsh*t! Worst thing was, he tried to laugh it off, and said my old man had let him go spotlighting!

But when guys who ask are still breaking the rules, where do you draw the line? When this sort of sh*t happens, how do you think it makes a land owner feel? And when we start locking the gates and turning people away, guess who's going to be the called all the names under the sun and end up with a poaching problem that's completely out of hand.

Some people just need to pull their f'n heads in and speak up if they know their mates are up to no good
    Fucken arseholes mate, did you still have the cameras set up?